Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
My mpg is also around the 40 mpg UK range .

The problem is that my usual commute to work is only 2 miles .

I did a 120 mile trip just after the last fill up (mpg resets) and I got 68mpg.

However I have been doing only short trips after that And its slowly decreasing by around 1-2 mpg per day.

Next time I am going to fill only 10 litres or so as I think my fuel is getting stale (plus excess weight ) .

I have only done 850 miles since getting the car in June and have had only 2 fill ups.

The current tank is over 6 weeks old and has around 220 miles left and will last for another 2 weeks .
It's useful to consider that keeping the tank half empty will probably lose around 35-40lbs of weight which you lug around every day. Also, temperatures are beginning to drop which also affects mpg - as does very high ambient temps when you use A/C more often.
A 2 mile journey is never going to be good from a mpg point of view - you are likely to have the ICE running for a good proportion just to warm battery and car.

Doubt whether the fuel is going stale (it normally takes months, not weeks but you don't know how long the fuel is in the pump before it passes to your tank).

As for our OP, there's really no solution to sitting in traffic other than NOT sitting in traffic - but I guess all the `rat runs` are known and in full use like they are in the UK so there's little respite from sitting in another queue!

·
Registered
384 Posts
My mpg is also around the 40 mpg UK range .

The problem is that my usual commute to work is only 2 miles .

I did a 120 mile trip just after the last fill up (mpg resets) and I got 68mpg.

However I have been doing only short trips after that And its slowly decreasing by around 1-2 mpg per day.

Next time I am going to fill only 10 litres or so as I think my fuel is getting stale (plus excess weight ) .

I have only done 850 miles since getting the car in June and have had only 2 fill ups.

The current tank is over 6 weeks old and has around 220 miles left and will last for another 2 weeks .
Sorry if the question is annoying since you have an HEV, but isn't the isle of Man an ideal location for an EV? The main downside of EVs is range. But range cannot be an issue on the isle of Man, right?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Sorry if the question is annoying since you have an HEV, but isn't the isle of Man an ideal location for an EV? The main downside of EVs is range. But range cannot be an issue on the isle of Man, right?
The Isle of Man has hills - well mountains actually - speed limits and tight, twisty roads and congested towns. It does have nice roads between those towns but there are too many tight corners. It also has changeable conditions as it's in the middle of the Irish Sea.

Reactions: ajiom

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
Surely it would even out on the hills ? For instance , I zeroed my trip this morning and started my usual mountain climb . By the time I'd driven the 2 and a half miles or so to the summit , my mpg was 27 mpg . When I'd finished the drive to work , about another 15 miles , the mpg was showing as 78 mpg . And yes, there are narrow tight turns along the route

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think what this thread highlights is that each of the variants of the Ioniq is best suited to a different set of driving conditions and styles.
In a nutshell :-
If range is not an issue (<150miles required) and charging is easily obtained then the BEV is best.
If journeys are mostly short (<30 miles), but occasional long journeys are required (>150 miles) then the PHEV is best.
If journeys are mostly long (>50 miles) then the HEV is best suited.

This just a broad brush view of course and there are plenty of other factors that should also be considered.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
This just a broad brush view of course and there are plenty of other factors that should also be considered.
Could mention:
1. To choose a BEV or PHEV you must get (cost!) or have a charging possibility at home. For a BEV a real charging station, best also for the PHEV, but an outdoor certified, and electrically fully secure, outer wall outlet could be used, at least as a temporary solution.

2. To choose a PHEV over a HEV, you must also be motivated to charge, at least at home, maybe at work, even if you strictly doesn't need to charge the car. The battery should be used, not only on short trips, but all trips, until mostly depleted somewhere during even a long trip. The motivation will naturally be to increae fuel efficiency/ reduce fuel consumption, overall. Another motivation could be lower noise and lower local/city emissions when going EV. If not determined to, not quite motivated by this, the PHEV (over the HEV) is just a waste. (A PHEV is for buyers who actually would want a BEV, but just hate range restrictions.)

And there are some differences in the trunk size, the HEV having the largest, then the PHEV, then the BEV (smallest of the three, I believe).

Reactions: SEvans

·
Registered
326 Posts
The Isle of Man is a perfect location for an EV. The longest commute here would be around 20 odd miles and its a struggle to cover over a 100 miles in a day .

The major problem for getting an EV here was that there was no subsidy /grant for buying a EV here ( think it is still the same)

The only option was to buy it via a UK dealer and then drive it back and register it here . However there was no servicing facility at the time for an EV. (Not sure if it has started now )

I have a plan to buy a used EV or better still a Plug in from the UK maybe in 2019 (depending on how the residual values are) as a second car.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The Isle of Man has hills - well mountains actually - speed limits and tight, twisty roads and congested towns. It does have nice roads between those towns but there are too many tight corners. It also has changeable conditions as it's in the middle of the Irish Sea.

Conditions can change very quickly here . Especially on the mountain road

During the TT races it does cause quite nasty accidents . (They wouldn't race when there is fog anyway )

PS: This is a no speed limit zone

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
It's more relevant to compare the roads with Mad Sunday. It's bloody chaos, even with all the mountain traffic going in the same direction!

I've only been on the Island once away from the TT, and it certainly didn't come across as much different to Wales from a driving perspective, except for the speed of weather change! But to comment on chunga's remarks the hills only even out if you end up back the same height you started, and if the journey is long enough.

Energy consumed is not the same as energy regenerated else we'd have a `lossless` system and wouldn't need fuel past the first mile or two! It takes longer to get the energy back and frankly the IOM isn't `long ` enough.

As Ajiom says the terrain and traffic might be suitable for BEV, but the support network definitely isn't. Yet.
Perhaps in anticipation of your 2019 plans it's worth putting pressure on the Tynwald - the Irish are busy developing their EV infrastructure, UK (and Welsh) governments are busy promoting EV's so its the Island that's out-of-step or more likely, slower to recognise. Given the range and refuelling requirements you lot probably wouldn't need more than a couple of dozen fast chargers in public spaces, to sit alongside home chargers.

Ironic (sic) when they've been promoting the Electric TT and race series for longer than any other race venue.

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
Not been to the IOM but , looking at the picture of the mountain road , it looks almost identical to the road I travel every day . Misty ,damp and changeable mostly , beautiful when in the summer . I believe summer is on 23rd July next year .....just the one day .
Just to complete the picture from yesterday's commute , when I returned home the trip was showing 67.5 mpg . I expected that because it's more of a steady uphill gradient on the return .
I don't find my mpg to bad on short journeys . The ICE does seem to eat fuel when cold but ,on the plus side , it warms up pretty quickly and enables EV driving .
I suppose it depends how short and often the short journeys are and the engine / battery temperature and how heavy footed the driver is .
I think the Ioniq , like diesel , prefers longer trips without having to drive 5 miles before it's warm .

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Not been to the IOM but , looking at the picture of the mountain road , it looks almost identical to the road I travel every day . Misty ,damp and changeable mostly , beautiful when in the summer . I believe summer is on 23rd July next year .....just the one day .
Just to complete the picture from yesterday's commute , when I returned home the trip was showing 67.5 mpg . I expected that because it's more of a steady uphill gradient on the return .
I don't find my mpg to bad on short journeys . The ICE does seem to eat fuel when cold but ,on the plus side , it warms up pretty quickly and enables EV driving .
I suppose it depends how short and often the short journeys are and the engine / battery temperature and how heavy footed the driver is .
I think the Ioniq , like diesel , prefers longer trips without having to drive 5 miles before it's warm .
I don't measure the consumption on short trips but on my 7 miles to and from the office on mostly slow roads and in traffic I'm seeing the 64.5 UK mpg cumulative average drop back to 64.2 over the course of a weeks worth of local travel.

To return to the original topic 39.9mpg US is about 48 mpg UK and I have never seen a consumption figure that high, even in heavy traffic. Early on in the cars life I did see 53 mpg, but it steadily rose as the mileage climbed, to my current 64+ UK mpg / 53 US so perhaps the figure is simply based on `too low` a mileage?

We do know things improve considerably as the car gets some road miles under its belt.

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
Probably true . Early days I was also getting about 53 mpg ,which pretty much equalled my diesel anyway . Where it differs from the diesel is that it has risen by some margin . I'm happy with the fuel returns . I won't challenge bc1 though :) .
Let's hope the same improvement applies to the other guys

21 - 37 of 37 Posts