Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no cracked 50mpg since having the car. Is it because I use the AC? I am just not understanding what could possibly be causing the mpg being low.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I wouldn't imagine it's the AC running causing your poor fuel efficiency. I have my AC on all the time in my HEV. Maybe check the trip computer to see how your driving style looks. It will break down your driving style into economical, normal and aggressive.

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
Once the car has warmed up , the AC makes little difference . I tend to switch AC off in the morning where possible , otherwise the ICE kicks in waiting at lights .
Are you mostly making short journeys ? That can cause the mpg to drop

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I have no cracked 50mpg since having the car. Is it because I use the AC? I am just not understanding what could possibly be causing the mpg being low.
Not a lot to go on there. Add some information and maybe we can help.
As this is your first post start by telling us where you are, what car you bought (HEV, PHEV or BEV), your typical journey, your accumulated mileage and typical filling stations you use.

Like as not it's not going to be a problem with the car.

·
Registered
373 Posts
1: speed is everything. In this case: LOW speed is everything.
2: acceleration is important. In the Ioniq: slowly accelerate. Do NOT floor the pedal.
3: drive at a constant speed. Use the cruise control. It is there for a reason.
4: look ahead. Far, far ahead. Red light at a mile away, disengage the cruise control (remember tip 3?).
5: drive long(-er) distances. 5km a day is not only bad for the car, it is a killer for mpg. For fun, get on a highway, set cruise control at 50mph and drive an hour. At 50mph. Than have a look at your mpg...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I find cruise control ruins my fuel economy. Car can't read the road ahead as far as me and therefore can't make adjustments to speed as efficiently as my right foot.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I find cruise control ruins my fuel economy. Car can't read the road ahead as far as me and therefore can't make adjustments to speed as efficiently as my right foot.
Agreed, on a 350 mile return trip, I got 66.1 MPG in EV mode without cruise, on my PHEV, on return journey on same route I only got 57.4 MPG in Hybrid mode with cruise on

Attachments

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Well, there's no substitute for driving properly, but once I'd modified the cruise control to `slow` acceleration and not reading as far ahead (one or two bars rather than the four of default) I barely detect a difference on any substantial run - 64.7 versus 65 mpg on a typical 180-mile round trip.
Well within normal variations for traffic and weather.

But lets wait for our OP to respond before going off on tangents - he hasn't even told us if he's even using the cruise control, much less what version of the car he's got, which could imply a different cruise control than any we are talking about.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Hmm. The cruise control is for maintaining constant speed, primarily.

The adpative cruise control may change the speed, but it can also be turned off.

When i get the coasting signal, or when I see that I might have to slow down a long distance ahead, I sometimes cancels the cruise control and adjust speed manually, gradually reducing. Or I press the minus button to set a lower speed.

I also set the distance to four bars when approaching slower traffic from behind. When it locks in, I reduve to three, then two, sometimes one.

I regard this system to much more smooth speed changing or constant than I'm able to by using the pedals, both up and down in speed. But you have to use it actively and intelligently. My foot hovers the brake pedal almost all the time, now, after I have trained myself on the system and to be extra observant on what happens a bit further ahead then the adaptive cruise detect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, this seems ok, I am in stop and go traffic for about 40 miles a day.. I am goign to take a trip to Vegas this weekend and see what happens... thank you!

·
Registered
Marina Blue HEV Ltd IONIQ from 25 Jul '17
1,865 Posts
Ok, this seems ok, I am in stop and go traffic for about 40 miles a day.. I am goign to take a trip to Vegas this weekend and see what happens... thank you!
Killer...Are you in the LA area? I lived there for a year, and spent about 5 months of that time commuting from Westwood to Burbank each day.

Anyways, that would probably be the cause of your problems. Hope your trip to Vegas goes well and you get to find out what the car is capable of.

Also, please consider updating your profile with your location information. There's a lot of differences in the features of each car from region to region (even between Canada and US versions of the car), so being able to see where you're from can help make sure you're getting advice that more directly relates to your car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1: speed is everything. In this case: LOW speed is everything.
2: acceleration is important. In the Ioniq: slowly accelerate. Do NOT floor the pedal.
4: look ahead. Far, far ahead. Red light at a mile away, disengage the cruise control (remember tip 3?).
5: drive long(-er) distances. 5km a day is not only bad for the car, it is a killer for mpg. For fun, get on a highway, set cruise control at 50mph and drive an hour. At 50mph. Than have a look at your mpg...
I drive 40 miles one way to work 5 days a week and am unable to get more than 44mpg. I am wondering what speed you are considering low speed. I want to improve my mpg but have yet to obtain the estimated mpg that the manufacturer says. I have normal driving habits.

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
I drive 18 miles to work over a mountain each day and getting 69 mpg UK . I drive pretty much normally,so it's a mystery how some are getting such low returns

·
Registered
373 Posts
I drive 40 miles one way to work 5 days a week and am unable to get more than 44mpg. I am wondering what speed you are considering low speed. I want to improve my mpg but have yet to obtain the estimated mpg that the manufacturer says. I have normal driving habits.
It will be very hard to get "manufacturers numbers". They have so many tricks, it is almost like they are trying to lie to their potential customers... Anyway: 90Km/h is about the sweetspot for the Netherlands. That's 55M/h on your side of the pond. On a 40 mile trip you will arrive some 4 minutes later than when you drive 70 miles/h. You will however be saving quite a bit on fuel and stress.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Then the AC could make a difference. In hot weather I have the AC on at 70 km/h (43 mph) or higher, and it does not impact my fuel economy. But when in city center or in a traffic jam, I tend to switch off the AC and open the windows. Otherwise the ICE kicks in to supply power to the AC.

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
Then the AC could make a difference. In hot weather I have the AC on at 70 km/h (43 mph) or higher, and it does not impact my fuel economy. But when in city center or in a traffic jam, I tend to switch off the AC and open the windows. Otherwise the ICE kicks in to supply power to the AC.
That reflects my findings . Except the hot weather in the UK :(

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can tell you that after 5 months of driving my Ioniq Hybrid that "in town" city driving will kill your gas mileage IF you have a lot of traffic lights. I live in a city where there are traffic lights galore. I have a difficult time getting 50 mpg. with this type of driving. However, on a recent trip of 400 miles, and driving at Interstate speeds of 70-75 mph, my mileage went up to 58 mpg (USA), a dramatic improvement. So, if you have a tremendous amount of stop and go driving, you are going to be hard pressed to get anywhere near the mileage that Hyundai states you would get for "in town" driving.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Watching the current mpg gauge I see the mpg dropping to about 17 mpg every time I pull away from a stop. In traffic it's difficult to pull away and keep it in EV mode without irritating the drivers behind you. Given the option I stick to low traffic streets so I can keep it in EV mode

·
Registered
326 Posts
My mpg is also around the 40 mpg UK range .

The problem is that my usual commute to work is only 2 miles .

I did a 120 mile trip just after the last fill up (mpg resets) and I got 68mpg.

However I have been doing only short trips after that And its slowly decreasing by around 1-2 mpg per day.

Next time I am going to fill only 10 litres or so as I think my fuel is getting stale (plus excess weight ) .

I have only done 850 miles since getting the car in June and have had only 2 fill ups.

The current tank is over 6 weeks old and has around 220 miles left and will last for another 2 weeks .

1 - 20 of 37 Posts