Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Firey Red
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery late yesterday of our 38kW Firery Red. Yes I had that EV :D and body wide awake at 5:30am ready for a proper test drive (Normal wake up time at the mo to start WFH at 6am)

The Car
  • Drives really nicely. No problems getting used to the braking, seems nice and predictable in each of the regen levels.
  • Better power than expected in sports mode. I only test drove a 28. Will likely rarely use it, only eco feels sluggish but kind of calming.
  • Road noise louder than I remember on the 28, not a train smash and comparable to my old Mazda 6.
  • Myriad of settings, overwhelming at first and hard to find the options between the 2 menu systems.
  • Rear visibility. Im 6'1" and I kind of have to duck down to view out the top part of the rear window. Didn't seem a problem driving
  • Our large child seat leaves more room than expected in the rear seats which is nice, worried it would essential cut out the middle seat as small as it is
  • Heated seats and steering wheel really great.
The media system
  • Seems pretty intuitive but would rather it start where you were last rather than the home screen
  • Don't mine the capacitive buttons
  • Not tries Android Auto, phone paired easily
  • Sound system could be louder
Autolink
  • Bit of a joke really except for turning on the climate control which was great.
  • Charged the car unplugged and it still said 30% battery. Not until I got in and turned it on did it get the right level. How hard is this to implement? It like they firewall the certain parts of the car systems from the media systems which doesn't know anything until the car is turned on next time.
Charging
  • The dealer said he hadn't had time to charge the car so I picked it up with 40% remaining. It was parked not 20m from their charge point :confused:
  • Had to charge overnight from our Wall box 23kwh @ 5.8kw, about 5 hours to go from 30% to 90%
  • This cost us AUD 6.62 for 180km of range. When charging from solar it will cost us the 0.07c feed in tariff so would 'cost' us $1.61
  • We wouldn't be able to charge this much on solar coming into winter given we're getting 24kwh on a good day at the moment. Attacking some trees today giving shade from the low daytime sun
  • Pre-COVID this would have cost us ~AUD 30, Current costs ~AUD 18 (Mazda was over 10L/100km combined on 95RON)
Range
  • Turned the car on and it said 224km of range @ 90% (13C, 55F) :unsure:
  • After 5 mins of driving this rose to 285km, just a bit above claimed range of 311km if scaled to 100% :)
  • Drove for 45 mins testing out all modes, heating, up and down hills, travelling 27km and had 254km left. Pretty impressed with that but we'll see how we go.
Heres the obligatory Perth Kings Park sunrise shot.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Awesome picture and a great first impressions review. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re Road noise check your tyre pressures. My UK model was delivered with 40+ and found the rumble from the tyres quite loud. I lowered them to 38psi and it was better.
Auto link - if UK version is same as Australian version on the black bar at the top that displays available distance, on the right side is able refresh button. You will be asked for your PIN and it will refresh.
Enjoy

·
Super Moderator
8,047 Posts
Took delivery late yesterday of our 38kW Firery Red. Yes I had that EV :D and body wide awake at 5:30am ready for a proper test drive (Normal wake up time at the mo to start WFH at 6am)

The Car
  • Drives really nicely. No problems getting used to the braking, seems nice and predictable in each of the regen levels.
  • Better power than expected in sports mode. I only test drove a 28. Will likely rarely use it, only eco feels sluggish but kind of calming.
  • Road noise louder than I remember on the 28, not a train smash and comparable to my old Mazda 6.
  • Myriad of settings, overwhelming at first and hard to find the options between the 2 menu systems.
  • Rear visibility. Im 6'1" and I kind of have to duck down to view out the top part of the rear window. Didn't seem a problem driving
  • Our large child seat leaves more room than expected in the rear seats which is nice, worried it would essential cut out the middle seat as small as it is
  • Heated seats and steering wheel really great.
The media system
  • Seems pretty intuitive but would rather it start where you were last rather than the home screen
  • Don't mine the capacitive buttons
  • Not tries Android Auto, phone paired easily
  • Sound system could be louder
Autolink
  • Bit of a joke really except for turning on the climate control which was great.
  • Charged the car unplugged and it still said 30% battery. Not until I got in and turned it on did it get the right level. How hard is this to implement? It like they firewall the certain parts of the car systems from the media systems which doesn't know anything until the car is turned on next time.
Charging
  • The dealer said he hadn't had time to charge the car so I picked it up with 40% remaining. It was parked not 20m from their charge point :confused:
  • Had to charge overnight from our Wall box 23kwh @ 5.8kw, about 5 hours to go from 30% to 90%
  • This cost us AUD 6.62 for 180km of range. When charging from solar it will cost us the 0.07c feed in tariff so would 'cost' us $1.61
  • We wouldn't be able to charge this much on solar coming into winter given we're getting 24kwh on a good day at the moment. Attacking some trees today giving shade from the low daytime sun
  • Pre-COVID this would have cost us ~AUD 30, Current costs ~AUD 18 (Mazda was over 10L/100km combined on 95RON)
Range
  • Turned the car on and it said 224km of range @ 90% (13C, 55F) :unsure:
  • After 5 mins of driving this rose to 285km, just a bit above claimed range of 311km if scaled to 100% :)
  • Drove for 45 mins testing out all modes, heating, up and down hills, travelling 27km and had 254km left. Pretty impressed with that but we'll see how we go.
Heres the obligatory Perth Kings Park sunrise shot.

View attachment 32112
nice write up

will wait to soo if you find anything else on the next month or two and how it compares longer term

i.e is the larger battery useful or not

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @GMat Ill check them out they were 38 on a short trip this morning but not up to temp. Our Auto Link doesn't even have an available distance only Battery %. I did do a refresh and also restarted app. I did find the download log feature which will be helpful but it only has distances travelled per trip and not battery levels

Im really thinking the extra distance will be worth it. Not for any quelling of range anxiety as that can be managed but make it feel like a regular car in our day to day use having actually driven 82km yesterday, battery going from 90% to 67% and car range dropping from 285km to 206km.

Analysing actual power usage via my inverter monitoring it seems we drew 25kwh to charge the car 23kwh so our costs was $7.21. Probably seems the right amount of loss given the 20m length between switchboard and car and other factors.

·
Registered
AE.3 IONIQ EV Hatch Elite 100KW 38.3 KWH
26 Posts
I have the same model here in Melbourne. Bought in late January 2020. You will find the available range displayed when charged is based on previous driving styles.If I drive on Eco and don't floor the peddle too much when its fully charged I normally get an available range of ~335 km. Hard driving with air con / heater on will display more like ~305 km range when fully charged. I have got 345 km driving on Eco and no air con nor exceeding 90 kmh.. Speeds above 90 effect range as well as extra passengers of course.

·
Registered
AE.3 IONIQ EV Hatch Premium 38.3 kWh
13 Posts
I got mine at the end of last October and for the the first couple of month I only charged it to 80%. At the end of December I was going to go a little further afield so charged it to 100% and got a range of 389km which I think was pretty accurate after the trip I did. It was a big surprise to get that much and since then it has been a little lower but not much. For day to day I charge to 70% - 80%

Better power than expected in sports mode. I only test drove a 28. Will likely rarely use it, only eco feels sluggish but kind of calming.
I thought eco was okay at first but soon found that it is faster than you think because it is so quiet. I keep mine in eco almost all the time and still get away at the lights before most others. All my metro type driving ends up around 10kWh per 100km in eco mode.

389range.JPG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi we live in Perth and had a 28kwh model for a year now. Great car would have preferred to have the 38kwh model though.
Are you aware of the Synergy home EV plan where you get reduced rates between the hours of 11pm till 4am.
We try to always charge during the day using the solar panels on the roof but somethimes we need to charge at night and this plan helps.
Nice looking car

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Corny, Yes we are switching to that plan and we also live within walking distance to Horizon Powers HQ where there is a free charger.

·
Registered
AE.3 IONIQ EV Hatch Premium 38.3 kWh
13 Posts
For EV drivers in SA, AGL have an EV plan. You get a $60 credit each quarter for 2 years. I also use a Zappi charger to divert the excess solar to the car if you have it plugged in. So far I haven't had the need to charge at night and todate I haven't paid for any power at home. There are a few chargers close by that are free and handy to use when shopping.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good stuff mate. Welcome to the Aussie Ioniq club.

If yours came with Michelin EnergySaver+ tyres - like my 28 did - then they're of course the problem with road noise. Very, very efficient tyres but they have a tendency to spin when you push the car especially from a standing start, and they're loud.

Hopefully by the time we're ready to replace our tyres there's something on the market that's extremely efficient and also grippy and quiet. At this point in time I'm not sure there's anything that ticks all of those boxes, even if you're willing to spend a lot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good stuff mate. Welcome to the Aussie Ioniq club.

If yours came with Michelin EnergySaver+ tyres - like my 28 did - then they're of course the problem with road noise. Very, very efficient tyres but they have a tendency to spin when you push the car especially from a standing start, and they're loud.

Hopefully by the time we're ready to replace our tyres there's something on the market that's extremely efficient and also grippy and quiet. At this point in time I'm not sure there's anything that ticks all of those boxes, even if you're willing to spend a lot.

yeah i have these tyres on my 28 as well, noisy.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
If your tires are similar to the product Michelin Energy Savers A/S delivers to the US, they are pretty darned quiet. You have two downsides to your car, first is that the drivetrain (especially) and the wind noise is very low. Thus it is easy to focus on the next major source of noise, which is road/tire noise. The second strike is that hatchbacks don't isolate rear tire noise as well as sedans. Also, these are not luxury cars so expenses were spared on soundproofing.

I won't be shopping around for different tires, the OEM US ones are good for efficiency, noise, and long life.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If your tires are similar to the product Michelin Energy Savers A/S delivers to the US, they are pretty darned quiet. You have two downsides to your car, first is that the drivetrain (especially) and the wind noise is very low. Thus it is easy to focus on the next major source of noise, which is road/tire noise. The second strike is that hatchbacks don't isolate rear tire noise as well as sedans. Also, these are not luxury cars so expenses were spared on soundproofing.

I won't be shopping around for different tires, the OEM US ones are good for efficiency, noise, and long life.
Yes having driven sedan for the last 8 years means the rear noise is shielded a bit more. tbh after a week of driving my ears have tuned it out.

Specifically the tire that was fitted is Michelin Energy Saver+ 205/60r16 92h which don't appear to be available in Australia which begs the question what would they be replaced with? Through dealer with added dealer tax?

The tire pressures are 38psi when cold and go up to 42psi on longer drives. Bit higher than I'm used to but currently getting 11.7kwh/100km (5.4m per kwh) which I'm super impressed with being above spec'd range. Yet to take on a longer highway speed drive though have done 100km at freeway speeds.

The only issue encountered so far is the passenger heated seat does not work.

Also the Auto-link app is full on stalker-ware showing everything about your trips. Nice data but could easily be used for nefarious purposes. Made a pledge to not judge my partners diving. (who is getting better eco scores anyway)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Cold pressure should be 36 psi.In my four season winter, I raise it a bit in the winter to get normal operating pressures of 38 to 41 psi. Highest pressure I see on the hottest sunny days on blacktop (not exceeding 65 mph or 105 kph) is 42 psi. I'd be concerned if I saw that routinely. Not overly concerned, just enough to consider adjusting cold fill pressure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts