Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I honestly don't know either! Did I read you are in Canada? I wonder if video playback is disabled due to legal requirements there, is anyone else on here in Canada who can confirm it works?
Other than that all I can suggest is change the name of the Usb stick from USBDATA to something else, or try a different USB stick.
I see you are using Linux, maybe try formatting the stick in Windows.
I can't see that either of the above would logically make any difference,
but maybe the name "USBDATA" has confuses the cars system so it is expecting something else?
Thanks for your suggestions. I have already tried different names for the USB key with the same result. I will try formatting with Windows, but I am not optimistic. Yes, I am in Canada so I would appreciate feedback from other Canadian Ioniq Electric owners. The car is able to detect music files without issue, but refuses to detect video files. :( Hopefully the next firmware update will resolve the issue. Thanks anyways

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
250 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions. I have already tried different names for the USB key with the same result. I will try formatting with Windows, but I am not optimistic. Yes, I am in Canada so I would appreciate feedback from other Canadian Ioniq Electric owners. The car is able to detect music files without issue, but refuses to detect video files. :( Hopefully the next firmware update will resolve the issue. Thanks anyways
No worries. Incidentally I did just try it with an old usb2 usb stick, and video worked fine, but it still might be worth trying a different brand of USB stick.
Have you tried it without turning the power on, ie so car is just on 12v battery? On mine it plays video when in P, but the picture turns off as soon as D is selected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No worries. Incidentally I did just try it with an old usb2 usb stick, and video worked fine, but it still might be worth trying a different brand of USB stick.
Have you tried it without turning the power on, ie so car is just on 12v battery? On mine it plays video when in P, but the picture turns off as soon as D is selected.
I have tried multiple different USB 2 and USB 3 key models without success, but I have not tried with only the 12V battery. Will give it a shot this weekend and report back. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have tried multiple different USB 2 and USB 3 key models without success, but I have not tried with only the 12V battery. Will give it a shot this weekend and report back. Thanks again!
I'm having the EXACT same issue here in the US (CA)...Just leased a 2020 Ioniq Electric 38kwh "Limited" Edition. I guess it's limited in that sense. USB Video was never there & is not even grayed out. USB Music has worked fine. I just got it New Year's EVE & I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow for other reasons, will inquire. This should absolutely be available if it's limited to Park Mode only-doesn't make sense otherwise. In the meantime, I'm researching how to access engineering mode (like people were able to do in older models) and looking at a 'too good to be true' device called "Picasou" (Smartworldcompany.com) that lets you pretty much Plug in & play via usb & do anything with your car's infotainment via CarPlay/Android Auto. Only draw back is it's $400.
Picasou video streaming adapter for Carplay and Android Auto media interfaces enables app download music navigation | Smart World Company

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm having the EXACT same issue here in the US (CA)...Just leased a 2020 Ioniq Electric "Limited" Edition. I guess it's limited in that sense. USB Video was never there & is not even grayed out. USB Music has worked fine. I just got it New Year's EVE & I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow for other reasons, will inquire. This should absolutely be available if it's limited to Park Mode only-doesn't make sense otherwise. In the meantime, I'm researching how to access engineering mode (like people were able to do in older models) and looking at a 'too good to be true' device called "Picasou" (Smartworldcompany.com) that lets you pretty much Plug in & play via usb & do anything with your car's infotainment via CarPlay/Android Auto. Only draw back is it's $400.
Picasou video streaming adapter for Carplay and Android Auto media interfaces enables app download music navigation | Smart World Company
its true actually. Its a new hit, came out from China Summer 2020. Its getting huge attention everywhere now. I ordered mine from aliexpress before christmas. and im hoping to have it in a few days.
on aliexpress its 200 usd: US $204.0 40% OFF|Carplay Ai Box New Upgrade Car TV Video Box With GPS Carplay To Car Android 7.0 System Play &Play Mrrorlink Youtube Netiflix|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

it has android 7.0, 2 or 4gb ram. 32 gb rom. 1.5 quad core. and basically they have found a way to cheat the car, so it thinks its connected to an apple carplay device. instead it shows a fully android device. now you can watch movies, shows, apps, games. iptv, navigations, etc all in the car, also while driving.

Once i get mine, i will make a video review running on my ioniq 28.8 EV. and post it here

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice! Didn't know this was an option! Will keep an eye on prices and jump on one before my next road trip post-covid, thanks! Also, we flashed the latest maps/firmware update. We love the new user profiles, we don't love the new radio design and I confirm still no USB Video option, just the same the USB Music option (in Canada).

·
Registered
3 Posts
its true actually. Its a new hit, came out from China Summer 2020. Its getting huge attention everywhere now. I ordered mine from aliexpress before christmas. and im hoping to have it in a few days.
on aliexpress its 200 usd: US $204.0 40% OFF|Carplay Ai Box New Upgrade Car TV Video Box With GPS Carplay To Car Android 7.0 System Play &Play Mrrorlink Youtube Netiflix|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

it has android 7.0, 2 or 4gb ram. 32 gb rom. 1.5 quad core. and basically they have found a way to cheat the car, so it thinks its connected to an apple carplay device. instead it shows a fully android device. now you can watch movies, shows, apps, games. iptv, navigations, etc all in the car, also while driving.

Once i get mine, i will make a video review running on my ioniq 28.8 EV. and post it here
Thanks for the suggestion! Much more affordable. Your link led me to another that looks even better & runs Android 9.0 for $225 (1.8ghz 4GB+32GB supports all file types, up to 6k video files scaled for any screen). Now that I have an ultra wide 10"screen in my car, I can't wait to make use of 21:9 cinemascopic content which I used to hate due to black bars. Now it's 16:9 that will take it's place with black bars on the side instead, hah. I wish I would have had this tech in my older cars equipped with a more square 4:3/5:4 screen and made use of that ratio (Old films, Pre-2005, IMAX). I'm mostly purchasing this for .mkv USB playback, but Airplay casting the Space Maps/Google Earth from my iPhone alone will be out of this world.
Note I do not plan to ever use this device while in motion, for I am more than happy with CarPlay/Navigation as is on my car. This device will only be used during camping/re-charging/roadtrips/entertaining whie stationary. I suggest everyone else do the same if possible.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion! Much more affordable. Your link led me to another that looks even better & runs Android 9.0 for $225 (1.8ghz 4GB+32GB supports all file types, up to 6k video files scaled for any screen). Now that I have an ultra wide 10"screen in my car, I can't wait to make use of 21:9 cinemascopic content which I used to hate due to black bars. Now it's 16:9 that will take it's place with black bars on the side instead, hah. I wish I would have had this tech in my older cars equipped with a more square 4:3/5:4 screen and made use of that ratio (Old films, Pre-2005, IMAX). I'm mostly purchasing this for .mkv USB playback, but Airplay casting the Space Maps/Google Earth from my iPhone alone will be out of this world.
Note I do not plan to ever use this device while in motion, for I am more than happy with CarPlay/Navigation as is on my car. This device will only be used during camping/re-charging/roadtrips/entertaining whie stationary. I suggest everyone else do the same if possible.
Nice found! make sure to write to the seller and confirm that its android 9.0. becuase i read many where that they write fake adnroid 9.0. but instead its android 7.0
the real heavy duty androi 9.0 carplay box costs around 500 usd. its different design also. but if they have started building this little brother carplay box with android 9.0 and price of 200 usd, then its cool! thge one i ordered coming next week is android 7.0. I just wrote to the seller and pointed him to your link, and asked him if my box can be upgraded.

Edit: i just chatted with the seller of your link. he said. its android 7.1 . but in the setting they just " show " android 9.0. lool. Ffs. they have custom fw. so they can write anything they want in it. this is what i heard from many people, about sellers who write android 9.0. unless its that big brother version of 500 usd.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice found! make sure to write to the seller and confirm that its android 9.0. becuase i read many where that they write fake adnroid 9.0. but instead its android 7.0
the real heavy duty androi 9.0 carplay box costs around 500 usd. its different design also. but if they have started building this little brother carplay box with android 9.0 and price of 200 usd, then its cool! thge one i ordered coming next week is android 7.0. I just wrote to the seller and pointed him to your link, and asked him if my box can be upgraded.

Edit: i just chatted with the seller of your link. he said. its android 7.1 . but in the setting they just " show " android 9.0. lool. Ffs. they have custom fw. so they can write anything they want in it. this is what i heard from many people, about sellers who write android 9.0. unless its that big brother version of 500 usd.
Thanks for responding. Ahh damn it, yeah it just arrived-it’s Android 7.1
Is there a big difference in image/audio quality on Android 9 devices? Or is it just faster processing? My car’s res is 1920x720. VLC player works in Android 7.1 but is a little laggy. I wonder if VLC in Android 9 will have more customizations/capabilities. Netflix & Youtube are also laggy in Android 7.1, but I assumed it was my hotspot iphone connection. Thoughts?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for responding. Ahh damn it, yeah it just arrived-it’s Android 7.1
Is there a big difference in image/audio quality on Android 9 devices? Or is it just faster processing? My car’s res is 1920x720. VLC player works in Android 7.1 but is a little laggy. I wonder if VLC in Android 9 will have more customizations/capabilities. Netflix & Youtube are also laggy in Android 7.1, but I assumed it was my hotspot iphone connection. Thoughts?
interesting that you feel its laggy. it shouldnt be. which one did you order 2 or 4gb ram version? the previews i have seen didnt lag. but mine hasnt arrived yet :( been stuch in transit for 3 weeks now .
it annoys me. but i cant do anything than wait. Did you install the gps amplifier? i understood that its needed in order to have google map and waze to run properly. etc.
android 9. carbox i have seen you have do split screen. one half youtube running the other have navigation. its probably a bit more effectiv i would assume, than android 7.1

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sort of off topic but: in 2017, a friend of mine lasercut an aluminium plate and put an Android tablet on it in his Ioniq 28 kW.

And in black:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sort of off topic but: in 2017, a friend of mine lasercut an aluminium plate and put an Android tablet on it in his Ioniq 28 kW.

And in black:
Haha. Thats cool though. And I see he has installed AGAMA launcher. Now all this will be possible with the new CarPlay box ai. Plug n play. Luckily my parcel has changed status, and it’s coming soon. Yay

41 - 52 of 52 Posts