Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Sadly, common sense is only common to people of the same country/culture.

For example, in France it's common sense to not let people buy and carry firearms while in the US it's common sense to be able to do so at the nearest Wallmart.
This is neither a troll nor an invitation to start a debate on gun laws, just to point out that "common" sense isn't universal and only extends to similar people with similar views.

·
Super Moderator
2,203 Posts
What I meant by " common sense " , is the ability to determine possible outcomes of one's actions on others . In that sense , I believe common sense is universal . Most of the human race have the same hopes and dreams .

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Something like this. Don't really need it to work while driving though.

Is this an after market head unit ?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Something like this. Don't really need it to work while driving though.

Is this an after market head unit ?
oh no no. its the org head unit. but connected to an iphone which is "rooted " and has a tweak called carbridge. this weak allows me to choose which app to be shown on my head unit

·
Registered
30 Posts
oh no no. its the org head unit. but connected to an iphone which is "rooted " and has a tweak called carbridge. this weak allows me to choose which app to be shown on my head unit
Not that could be useful with some of those EV route apps like ABRP :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bringing up a slightly old thread. I have a 2020 38kw and have been playing around with video files. Seems like it can play .mp4 and some .mkv files but with the latter I was struggling with audio. Can't seem to get resolutions higher than 1080p to play, and doesn't like 60fps either.

It seems happy enough with 1080p 30fps .mp4 files.

Slightly annoying that it can't display in full screen though. It's either boxed in the middle, or if you have the battery status/percentage box on the side, it fills up the rest of the space.

I still would prefer to be able to play YouTube (when stationary of course). Tried to root an old Android phone to get CarStream, but didn't get very far with that.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just bringing up a slightly old thread. I have a 2020 38kw and have been playing around with video files. Seems like it can play .mp4 and some .mkv files but with the latter I was struggling with audio. Can't seem to get resolutions higher than 1080p to play, and doesn't like 60fps either.

Slightly annoying that it can't display in full screen though. It's either boxed in the middle, or if you have the battery status/percentage box on the side, it fills up the rest of the space.

I still would prefer to be able to play YouTube (when stationary of course). Tried to root an old Android phone to get CarStream, but didn't get very far with that.
I suggest you find a used iPhone 8 or x. Regardless of iOS and jailbreak it. Get carbridge tweak. And all your problems in your life will be solved ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I suggest you find a used iPhone 8 or x. Regardless of iOS and jailbreak it. Get carbridge tweak. And all your problems in your life will be solved ;)
Yes that was going to be my next option. Any reason why you recommend an 8 or X? I've sourced an iPhone 7 for a little over £100. (I wouldn't be using the iPhone for anything else apart from CarBridge).

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes that was going to be my next option. Any reason why you recommend an 8 or X? I've sourced an iPhone 7 for a little over £100. (I wouldn't be using the iPhone for anything else apart from CarBridge).
iPhone 7 is fine too sure. Go ahead. It’s the best thing . Oh and btw make sure it’s ios 12.4 . Az carbridge iOS 13 is very lite and meh. Until a full version comes out

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hi,

I consider myself pretty tech-savvy, but have not been able to get video playback using the latest firmware (Spring 2020). I have tried x264 .mkv as well as .avi, but I do not see a USB video option under Media. Audio files, both mp3 and flac, work fine under USB music. What am I doing wrong?

Please advise, thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Forgot to mention we also have the 2020 Ioniq Electric Preferred with 38.3 kWh battery and that we are located in Canada if that matters. Thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Forgot to mention we also have the 2020 Ioniq Electric Preferred with 38.3 kWh battery and that we are located in Canada if that matters. Thanks!
If you plug in the USB then press Media USB Video should appear. You should be able to at least see the files no matter the encoding

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you plug in the USB then press Media USB Video should appear. You should be able to at least see the files no matter the encoding
Thanks for your message. Unfortunately, the main screen only sees my music folders and files, but does not see my video folders or files. Media USB Video does not appear, only Media USB Music appears. I can record and share a video tonight showing what I have described. To rule out the encoding being an issue, could you please share a small video file that works for you that I can download and try? Much obliged fellow Ioniq drivers!

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
250 Posts
Thanks for your message. Unfortunately, the main screen only sees my music folders and files, but does not see my video folders or files. Media USB Video does not appear, only Media USB Music appears. I can record and share a video tonight showing what I have described. To rule out the encoding being an issue, could you please share a small video file that works for you that I can download and try? Much obliged fellow Ioniq drivers!
Could be it doesnt like the usb stick, how is it formatted, fat32 or NTFS?
Also, are the videos in a separate folder? I'm not sure either of the above matter, but I've got a 64gb usb stick set up as above in fat32 format and it works fine with video and mp3s.
Also, how big are the video files, I'm wondering if they are greater than 4gb this may cause issues due to the fat32/NTFS set up.
Finally you could find out what codec the video uses, it may not work with the latest ones, think it is x264 or something, my TV can't read them for example.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could be it doesnt like the usb stick, how is it formatted, fat32 or NTFS?
Also, are the videos in a separate folder? I'm not sure either of the above matter, but I've got a 64gb usb stick set up as above in fat32 format and it works fine with video and mp3s.
Also, how big are the video files, I'm wondering if they are greater than 4gb this may cause issues due to the fat32/NTFS set up.
Finally you could find out what codec the video uses, it may not work with the latest ones, think it is x264 or something, my TV can't read them for example.
Hi, appreciate you trying to help. My usb stick is formatted to fat32 and I know it works because the car is able to play mp3 and flac files on it without issue. So far I have tried xvid, h264 and mpeg-4 video files located on the root folder as well as subfolders without any luck. I have also tried files of different sizes varying between 200Mb and 4Gb. I will try to record and upload a video showing my lack of success shortly, probably this weekend. Would appreciate if someone could please share a small sample video that works on their car so that I may try. Thanks fellow ioniq owners!

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
250 Posts
Hi, appreciate you trying to help. My usb stick is formatted to fat32 and I know it works because the car is able to play mp3 and flac files on it without issue. So far I have tried xvid, h264 and mpeg-4 video files located on the root folder as well as subfolders without any luck. I have also tried files of different sizes varying between 200Mb and 4Gb. I will try to record and upload a video showing my lack of success shortly, probably this weekend. Would appreciate if someone could please share a small sample video that works on their car so that I may try. Thanks fellow ioniq owners!
Hi, I haven't got anything small enough to upload I'm afraid.
One of the files I have which works is an MP4, 1280x536. No idea of the codec but it works on everything else I play it on so it can't be a new codec. It has a frame rate of 23.98fps
Its 900MB.
Movies are in a folder called movies
Music is on a separate folder.
I don't have any flac files though, only mp3s.
I'd try the usb with just videos on first, and also try a different usb stick. I know it doesn't seem likely but ive had usb sticks in the past which work fine on a Pc, but don't get read properly on other devices. A Kingston stick I have is particularly bad for that when used with a Wii.
Also, the only USB sticks I have tried have both been usb3. One was a Toshiba one, the other a SanDisk fit (nice tiny unobtrusive one!)
I haven't ever tried usb2 sticks in the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I haven't got anything small enough to upload I'm afraid.
One of the files I have which works is an MP4, 1280x536. No idea of the codec but it works on everything else I play it on so it can't be a new codec. It has a frame rate of 23.98fps
Its 900MB.
Movies are in a folder called movies
Music is on a separate folder.
I don't have any flac files though, only mp3s.
I'd try the usb with just videos on first, and also try a different usb stick. I know it doesn't seem likely but ive had usb sticks in the past which work fine on a Pc, but don't get read properly on other devices. A Kingston stick I have is particularly bad for that when used with a Wii.
Also, the only USB sticks I have tried have both been usb3. One was a Toshiba one, the other a SanDisk fit (nice tiny unobtrusive one!)
I haven't ever tried usb2 sticks in the car.
Thanks for your message and I appreciate you trying to help us. Please take a look at the following video that shows my inability to play videos and please let me know what I am doing wrong:

Specifically, in chronological order, here is what I am trying to show in my video:

1) I am using a 16GB USB key formatted with fat32
2) I have two folders: Music and Videos
3) In Music, I only have one mp3 file
4) In Videos, I show multiple video files in three encoding formats (Mpeg4, Xvid, AVC H264) as well as four file extensions (avi, mkv, mp4, m4v).
5) Plugging the usb key into the car, I only have Media USB Music option
6) I show my firmware with the Spring 2020 update (am located in Canada if it matters)
7) Next I remove the Music folder, leaving just the Videos folder (this part of the video was not focused and blurry, sorry)
8) When I plug the usb key back into the car, I get the "No Supported Files" message
9) Pressing on Media, the USB Music button is now greyed out so I cannot select it as before. No USB Video option ever appears :(

Please advise and thanks!

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
250 Posts
Thanks for your message and I appreciate you trying to help us. Please take a look at the following video that shows my inability to play videos and please let me know what I am doing wrong:

Specifically, in chronological order, here is what I am trying to show in my video:

1) I am using a 16GB USB key formatted with fat32
2) I have two folders: Music and Videos
3) In Music, I only have one mp3 file
4) In Videos, I show multiple video files in three encoding formats (Mpeg4, Xvid, AVC H264) as well as four file extensions (avi, mkv, mp4, m4v).
5) Plugging the usb key into the car, I only have Media USB Music option
6) I show my firmware with the Spring 2020 update (am located in Canada if it matters)
7) Next I remove the Music folder, leaving just the Videos folder (this part of the video was not focused and blurry, sorry)
8) When I plug the usb key back into the car, I get the "No Supported Files" message
9) Pressing on Media, the USB Music button is now greyed out so I cannot select it as before. No USB Video option ever appears :(

Please advise and thanks!
I honestly don't know either! Did I read you are in Canada? I wonder if video playback is disabled due to legal requirements there, is anyone else on here in Canada who can confirm it works?
Other than that all I can suggest is change the name of the Usb stick from USBDATA to something else, or try a different USB stick.
I see you are using Linux, maybe try formatting the stick in Windows.
I can't see that either of the above would logically make any difference,
but maybe the name "USBDATA" has confuses the cars system so it is expecting something else?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts