Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I searched on the forums and online and couldn't find any definitive answer.

Is there a way to watch videos (Youtube,Netflix, whatever) on the main screen in the new 2020 model ?

I know the older model can't do it without some hacks, wondering if they changed that.
I just came back from a roadtrip with a friend in his Tesla and being to watch things / play games made the experience A LOT better.

I'm getting my car end of the month so I guess I can check there, just wondering if somebody already knew and had any feedback on it.

Thanks !

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'd actually care if there was something decent to watch, but not so much IMHO. Just sayin' :whistle:

Reactions: Ioniq19

·
Registered
53 Posts
According to manual you can play videos from usb. I' m affraid that watching streaming service is not so straightforward or possible.
But i haven't tried this yet (it's too cold now ;))

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all

movies from a usb stick play on the main screen real well, I’ve chosen a couple of episodes of my fave TV shows so I know I’ve something decent to watch.

Like anything there’ll probably be a hack along in time that’ll allow one or more streaming apps to be loaded or a screen mirror. One to get collective heads around...once it’s warmer.

happy 2020 all

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd actually care if there was something decent to watch, but not so much IMHO. Just sayin' :whistle:

There has to be something at least half decent in the entirety of Youtube / Netflix. The best being able to use Plex so I can watch my own collection.

According to manual you can play videos from usb. I' m affraid that watching streaming service is not so straightforward or possible.
But i haven't tried this yet (it's too cold now ;))
Well it's better than nothing. Could do the trick with decent preparation before a long trip.

Or I can invest in a cheap-ish Android device, root it and install CarStream and be done with it (I do not wish to root my day to day phone for now, it's brand new), but it requires the use of an additional device which is annoying.

Thanks for the replies !

·
Registered
519 Posts
There has to be something at least half decent in the entirety of Youtube / Netflix. The best being able to use Plex so I can watch my own collection.
True that... there's always Bjorn Nyland reviews! (y)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He actually just made a video about Tesla's "camping mode" which prompted me to make this thread in conjunction with the trip I just had.

·
Registered
519 Posts
He actually just made a video about Tesla's "camping mode" which prompted me to make this thread in conjunction with the trip I just had.
Thanks for the interesting links @Growiel !! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
It’s annoying that the manual doesn’t specify formats/container types for the files. All we can really tell from the manual is that it supports DivX. Wonder if it’s using VLC for playback or something custom? I suppose having to YouTube-dl a few vids on to a USB stick isn’t the end of the world but it is a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's fine for me, I'm really only looking to watch during charges, nothing else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No person may drive any motor vehicle equipped with any television viewer, screen, or other means of visually receiving a television broadcast when the moving images are visible to the driver while operating the motor vehicle on a public road, except for live video of the motor vehicle backing up.

·
Registered
467 Posts
There is a hack to Android Auto that lets you put your whole phone screen up on your display. That means you can run YouTube or Netflix or whatever you want. And since it is a hack, it is not disabled when the car is moving. Last post on the forum thread was a number of months ago, so search back a ways to find it.

Nowthen, please don't be so foolish as to use this while driving. Besides being illegal, it is a REALLY dumb thing to do. But I'm sure people have done it :(

Reactions: Carl007

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's possible to do it but if you cause any accident while breaking the law, good luck your insurance will be still be valid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello guys,

I searched on the forums and online and couldn't find any definitive answer.

Is there a way to watch videos (Youtube,Netflix, whatever) on the main screen in the new 2020 model ?

I know the older model can't do it without some hacks, wondering if they changed that.
I just came back from a roadtrip with a friend in his Tesla and being to watch things / play games made the experience A LOT better.

I'm getting my car end of the month so I guess I can check there, just wondering if somebody already knew and had any feedback on it.

Thanks !

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate the warning but I am fully aware of that and I did mention multiple times that I'm looking to do it WHILE CHARGING only.
Driving in the south of France is stressful enough (so many bad drivers) without adding distractions...

I am aware of the Android Auto hack, but it requires a rooted phone and I do not wish to root mine as it is brand new.
If there's no other options, I could root my old tablet and bring it with me only for long trips, that will require charging outside of home, since I don't want to carry around all the time.

And yes, @mtsarpilot people do do it, I saw some on my daily commute on the highway. I always try to quickly put some distance between them and me.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
No person may drive any motor vehicle equipped with any television viewer, screen, or other means of visually receiving a television broadcast when the moving images are visible to the driver while operating the motor vehicle on a public road, except for live video of the motor vehicle backing up.
It's possible to do it but if you cause any accident while breaking the law, good luck your insurance will be still be valid.
OK, give us a clue. What country's laws are you quoting here? Whose insurance? What company?

Sounds like that also makes live rear views illegal while going forward, which doesn't promote safety. What next? Banning live views on mirrors? Frankly, if there is a serious safety concern that someone is going to not watch the road, perhaps screens should be banned from cars.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I appreciate the warning but I am fully aware of that and I did mention multiple times that I'm looking to do it WHILE CHARGING only.
Driving in the south of France is stressful enough (so many bad drivers) without adding distractions...

I am aware of the Android Auto hack, but it requires a rooted phone and I do not wish to root mine as it is brand new.
If there's no other options, I could root my old tablet and bring it with me only for long trips, that will require charging outside of home, since I don't want to carry around all the time.

And yes, @mtsarpilot people do do it, I saw some on my daily commute on the highway. I always try to quickly put some distance between them and me.
I'm interested to find out more about the Android Auto hack. Please could you share a link?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There isn't a method that I actually tried and succeeded with myself so I don't want to link to anything definitive but if you google the words "Android auto carstream" or "android auto AA miror" you should get some things to play around with.

·
Super Moderator
2,203 Posts
OK, give us a clue. What country's laws are you quoting here? Whose insurance? What company?

Sounds like that also makes live rear views illegal while going forward, which doesn't promote safety. What next? Banning live views on mirrors? Frankly, if there is a serious safety concern that someone is going to not watch the road, perhaps screens should be banned from cars.
I would guess that the laws that Carl007 refers to are just the laws of common sense . Probably any insurance company would wriggle out of a claim if they found that you were watching a film whilst driving

1 - 20 of 52 Posts