Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father-in-law lives near a ford. His large SUV has a specified 'wading depth' that states it's ok to drive through a certain depth of water without flooding the engine.

I can't find such information on the Ioniq. Anyone?

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,131 Posts
It also doesn't take much water at all to sweep a car away if the water is flowing at all.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I wouldn't go through anything more than touching the bottom of the sill, to much high voltage cabling in the car
I agree, the high voltage battery is low down under the boot/back seat and is 300volt on hybrid and 360volt on PHEV and BEV. Not something you want to get wet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
**** that's something wich wasn't a problem with my 23 years old car (I actually had to do a couple meters of quite high water, I wasn't comfortable though ^^)
Glad you asked, I would not have thought about it, and I would definitely not try "high" water with the Ioniq.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I figured that I wouldn't risk wading to any depth at all. I'd expect them to have made the underside of the car relatively waterproof, to prevent damage from driving in the rain, but I wouldn't want to chance it!

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
yep, been through some pretty deep puddle with splashes coming up near windows at 10-15 mpg (about 3-4 inches of water) with no problems and lots of miles in bad weather on the motorways (m2,m20,m25.m1 etc) with no issues, so no problems there, but wouldn't go wading any deeper than bottom of sills

·
Registered
118 Posts
There's an interesting video on You Tube where a guy inspects the underneath of an Ioniq EV. The whole thing looked virtually flat, and completely shielded in panels. I think this is primarily to maintain excellent aerodynamics, but it must offer a lot of protection against weather and water ingress. However, I'm not sure if there are any small air intakes to cool the battery packs, and don't fancy driving through deep water to find out!! I will check it out when I have it up on the ramp next.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
It appears to be similar to the main battery under the seat in that it circulates air to and from the interior of the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Other depth factors to consider are the lower moving parts that are lubricated and sealed with a protective boot. If the boot is worn and has cracks in it then water can get into the lubricated part, such as a bearing. If possible avoid submerging such parts unless it is unavoidable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's an interesting video on You Tube where a guy inspects the underneath of an Ioniq EV. The whole thing looked virtually flat, and completely shielded in panels. I think this is primarily to maintain excellent aerodynamics, but it must offer a lot of protection against weather and water ingress. However, I'm not sure if there are any small air intakes to cool the battery packs, and don't fancy driving through deep water to find out!! I will check it out when I have it up on the ramp next.
There are air intakes in the interior of the car to draw cool cabin air to cool the battery. It's located on one side of the back bench area right where your leg would be in the hybrid version, not sure about the other versions though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
On the hybrid (and probably all Ioniqs) there's a one-way flap which allows air pressure to escape when closing the last door to be shut. Looking forward from the boot, it's on the bottom of the left hand corner, just above the level of the floor of the spare wheel bay. I haven't seen it, but when I had a pool of water in the spare wheel bay of my hybrid, the dealer explained that it was caused by the flap not sealing properly, thereby admitting water. It was fixed.

It follows that wading through a ford would be a risk if the water level came up to the flap.

Cymro

·
Registered
626 Posts
The plastic panels under the Ioniq are only there for aerodynamics. Water from the road will actually get above the panels. After I have been driving in the rain and pull my Ioniq into the garage water seeps from those panels to the floor. I think it would be ill advised to ford any water level deeper than four or five inches. If it has much flow, I would not do it at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts