Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why isnt hyundai using vortex generators on the ioniq? the new 2021 camry hybrid from toyota uses them. heck even the new 2021 hybrid sonata uses them on the rear spoiler?

the only part of the ioniq ive seen using a VG is a little nub near the side mirrors and thats it. i want better highway gas mileage and was thinking of putting some vortex generators on the back of my ioniq to help with the vaccum and pressure build up on the back of the car. maybe even adding an extended flat spoiler

has anyone else tried using vortex generators?

·
Registered
286 Posts
why isnt hyundai using vortex generators on the ioniq? the new 2021 camry hybrid from toyota uses them. heck even the new 2021 hybrid sonata uses them on the rear spoiler?

the only part of the ioniq ive seen using a VG is a little nub near the side mirrors and thats it. i want better highway gas mileage and was thinking of putting some vortex generators on the back of my ioniq to help with the vaccum and pressure build up on the back of the car. maybe even adding an extended flat spoiler

has anyone else tried using vortex generators?
My 2017 Camry Hybrid has them, as did my 2014 Corolla before that. I'm not going to say that they're the only reason why my Camry feels so planted to the road compared to the Ioniq, but I'm sure it helps.

As to why they aren't using it, not sure, but I'm willing to bet it has something to do with the drag coefficient on the Ioniq since this would disturbing the airflow of an otherwise very aerodynamic design. Not to say it would have a catastrophic impact, but in auto world, all of the small numbers add up (see Mazda's gram strategy as an example).

·
Registered
17 Posts
As main autor of one JCR journal article and coauthor of several papers related with vortex generators simulation with CFD (links by pm, I use this nick in other not that serious forums), and having simulated several cars equipped with VG's, I have to say that they don't have much sense on aerodynamically refined cars.
They can help reducing boundary layer separation when exists and then form drag, but they increase friction drag. The gain of reduction in form drag has to be bigger than increase in friction drag. In a kammtail car like Ioniq they would only be useful with crosswind, but who wants to see a car full os little appendixes breaking that fluid design line?
They would be useful in sedans, but they are dissappearing and its senseless to improve the aero of a SUV, which will always SUCk

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
182 Posts
Needing vortex generators are a failure in designing it properly from start. Or where you go all the way to the edge of the envelope. Fighter jets and F1 cars do use this kind of strakes or vortex generators but for road cars its just for visual design.

You can really fast check that the ad is "fake" when they turn to the under side of the car. Imagine all the stuff that is down there including exhaust and mufflers. You would never ever carry that on a roof rack, still you carry it under the car and Toyota calling it a smooth underbody talking about their small strakes! Funny funny.

On my car I added a missing part of the underbody. Don't know why Hyundai never added that plate, so I did my own. That is actually helping apart from Toyotas bogus.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Needing vortex generators are a failure in designing it properly from start. Or where you go all the way to the edge of the envelope. Fighter jets and F1 cars do use this kind of strakes or vortex generators but for road cars its just for visual design.

You can really fast check that the ad is "fake" when they turn to the under side of the car. Imagine all the stuff that is down there including exhaust and mufflers. You would never ever carry that on a roof rack, still you carry it under the car and Toyota calling it a smooth underbody talking about their small strakes! Funny funny.

On my car I added a missing part of the underbody. Don't know why Hyundai never added that plate, so I did my own. That is actually helping apart from Toyotas bogus.

How did you do that?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As main autor of one JCR journal article and coauthor of several papers related with vortex generators simulation with CFD (links by pm, I use this nick in other not that serious forums), and having simulated several cars equipped with VG's, I have to say that they don't have much sense on aerodynamically refined cars.
They can help reducing boundary layer separation when exists and then form drag, but they increase friction drag. The gain of reduction in form drag has to be bigger than increase in friction drag. In a kammtail car like Ioniq they would only be useful with crosswind, but who wants to see a car full os little appendixes breaking that fluid design line?
They would be useful in sedans, but they are dissappearing and its senseless to improve the aero of a SUV, which will always SUCk
Are there any ways to enhance the aerodynamics of the Ioniq then without lowering it or adding a back wheel cover? I just want hood highway mileage. City driving and staying under 50 mph is just epic and barely feel any drag. But when I do looong distance trips thru places like Idaho or Wyoming and the speed limit is 80 plus mph, I just watch my gas mpg drop into the high 30s or low 40s depending on temperature

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are there any ways to enhance the aerodynamics of the Ioniq then without lowering it or adding a back wheel cover? I just want hood highway mileage. City driving and staying under 50 mph is just epic and barely feel any drag. But when I do looong distance trips thru places like Idaho or Wyoming and the speed limit is 80 plus mph, I just watch my gas mpg drop into the high 30s or low 40s depending on temperature
I have two ideas in mind: first one is keeping the car clean. Look at F1 mechanics when car arrives to the box. They start cleaning everything to make the car work as expected aerodynamically. The other idea is... Drafting. I know it can be dangerous, but with smart cruise control enabled I think that gap is reasonably safe and some effect should be noticeable. It is a matter of luck, because you have to find a car with your pace and using cruise control to use this technique comfortably. Btw, I don't practice this :ROFLMAO:.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
182 Posts
I have two ideas in mind: first one is keeping the car clean. Look at F1 mechanics when car arrives to the box. They start cleaning everything to make the car work as expected aerodynamically. The other idea is... Drafting. I know it can be dangerous, but with smart cruise control enabled I think that gap is reasonably safe and some effect should be noticeable. It is a matter of luck, because you have to find a car with your pace and using cruise control to use this technique comfortably. Btw, I don't practice this :ROFLMAO:.
I find it quite funny when you let nature do the CFD you end up with.... an Ioniq 5 shapre Ha!(or even ID.3)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I find it quite funny when you let nature do the CFD you end up with.... an Ioniq 5 shapre Ha!(or even ID.3)

Hahahah cool!! For sure influenced by glass lower thermal conductivity, leading to faster growing of snow layer. Nature will be always ahead.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Are there any ways to enhance the aerodynamics of the Ioniq then without lowering it or adding a back wheel cover?
Unless your driving style requires it, removing passenger side mirror results in about a 3% gain in mpg, hugely significant for such a simple mod. Which is one thing I did to improve mileage and get rid of vision blocking effect of a mirror I don't use. Yes, legal. I replaced it with a larger curved inside mirror that gives me a far better sense of what is behind and to the side of me than the side mirror. You still have to use best practices of turn signals for lane changes (also the law) and a visual double check by turning your head.

The best solution will be side mounted video cameras replacing outside mirrors when US regulators get around to them like Europe. Better visibility and better aero and less noise.

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
344 Posts
One could be sarcastic, and simply say, what do you expect at 85mph?

You have said at 50 - 60 mph, the results are spectacular, so just think how bad they could be at 85, if the car wasn't as aerodynamic as it is. Remember, a speed limit is just that, a limit, it's not a target. Set your cruise control at 70 (with at least 3 blobs of gap left between you and the next vehicle), turn on your favourite tunes, and let the miles role past. You'll hardly notice any extra time it takes and you will arrive at your destination in a much fresher state of mind.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One could be sarcastic, and simply say, what do you expect at 85mph?

You have said at 50 - 60 mph, the results are spectacular, so just think how bad they could be at 85, if the car wasn't as aerodynamic as it is. Remember, a speed limit is just that, a limit, it's not a target. Set your cruise control at 70 (with at least 3 blobs of gap left between you and the next vehicle), turn on your favourite tunes, and let the miles role past. You'll hardly notice any extra time it takes and you will arrive at your destination in a much fresher state of mind.
I see you’re in the uk... here I’m talking about driving 700-800 miles in a single day. Usually wake up an hour before sunrise and then drive nonstop across several states out in the open desert till night time with no traffic to draft behind. Sure going 10 under the speed limit isn’t a huge factor on short distances but when doing a large road trip, a 10 mile per hour difference literally adds up to 100 miles over the course of a 10 hour road trip. So give or take, you arrive to your distancing an HOUR AND A HALF earlier. That’s a huge diff. That’s enough time to shower at the hotel and go out and get dinner at a nice restaurant. Saves your back booty and arms too from sitting down in the small Ioniq an extra 1-2 hours also lol

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
344 Posts
We have a saying here in the UK, “you pay your money and take your choice” and this seems to be the answer here. If by slowing down you used a 1/3 less fuel, but added 1 1/2 hours to the journey, it’s your decision to do that, or not.

The journey you mention is the equivalent of driving from London to Glasgow, and back again, all in one day, something that I am very familiar with having done it many, many times in my younger days when 1000 miles a week was the norm and staying in hotels wasn't allowed by my then Managing Director if home was less than 6 hours away! He was evil! :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have a saying here in the UK, “you pay your money and take your choice” and this seems to be the answer here. If by slowing down you used a 1/3 less fuel, but added 1 1/2 hours to the journey, it’s your decision to do that, or not.

The journey you mention is the equivalent of driving from London to Glasgow, and back again, all in one day, something that I am very familiar with having done it many, many times in my younger days when 1000 miles a week was the norm and staying in hotels wasn't allowed by my then Managing Director if home was less than 6 hours away! He was evil! :)
well gas here in the states is less than 2 dollars a gallons. a quick conversion online shows our gas is 1/3 the price of yours. right now it costs me 18-20 USD to completely fill up my tank from the empty light on to full. also driving out in the middle of nowhere in the desert is psychologically draining in terms of mental time. when you see a sign that says '' next gas station -143 miles away'' and youre the only car in sight in all directions driving in a wasteland, you want to get through it as legally as fast as possible. its definitely worth the extra MPG drain. i just wanted to see if i could have the best of both worlds and save gas while blasting through the middle of nowhere for hours and hours

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
182 Posts
i just wanted to see if i could have the best of both worlds and save gas while blasting through the middle of nowhere for hours and hours
Drop weight! Eat healthy, go for walks, unload the spare tire etc etc. Can you loose 200lb from the car it's diffidently helping.

Maybe adjust your departure time to avoid extreme weather. Keeping it around 20-25celcius and tail wind is the best.

Or switch to a Toyota LOL!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used to own a 300hp retractable airplane, and after a very complete cleaning (including underside on the plane) and waxing (very important), the drag from wind, etc. was very noticeably less. Airspeed for the same power output was about 3-4 knots faster. I'd suggest searching around here and elsewhere for the best aerodynamic wax / coating solution (no pun intended). This will be especially noticeable on crosswinds too.

I also really like the other posters idea of an 'aerodynamic' plate across the bottom section.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Drop weight! Eat healthy, go for walks, unload the spare tire etc etc. Can you loose 200lb from the car it's diffidently helping.

Maybe adjust your departure time to avoid extreme weather. Keeping it around 20-25celcius and tail wind is the best.

Or switch to a Toyota LOL!
I drive for 14 hours straight. Can’t really change departure times lol

·
Registered
286 Posts
Unless your driving style requires it, removing passenger side mirror results in about a 3% gain in mpg, hugely significant for such a simple mod. Which is one thing I did to improve mileage and get rid of vision blocking effect of a mirror I don't use. Yes, legal. I replaced it with a larger curved inside mirror that gives me a far better sense of what is behind and to the side of me than the side mirror. You still have to use best practices of turn signals for lane changes (also the law) and a visual double check by turning your head.

The best solution will be side mounted video cameras replacing outside mirrors when US regulators get around to them like Europe. Better visibility and better aero and less noise.
If you have the feature, you could also just use the automatic fold-in mirrors :D bahaha instant on-demand efficiencies!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts