Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Currently when traveling around 65-72 MPH the Steering Wheel and centre console has a small vibration that is not there at any other speed, is this normal for Ioniq 5?

I was wondering if this is part of reign system or new car (Tyres), only covered 78 miles from new so far?

What tyre pressures are people running?

Thanks.

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 2021, Special Edition LR RWD, Galactic Grey
79 Posts
I noticed the same type of vibrations at speeds from 110 km/h and up, and had the dealer rebalance the wheels, but they told me that they could visibly see that the tyres (don't know how many of them) where not perfectly round, they had "height trow", and surely enough, the vibration was still there after the rebalancing.

They're currently in a discussion with Michelin Norway to get a new set of tyres for my car.

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
636 Posts
All of my cars since 2008 have benefitted from the laser geometry checking machines at my local Tyre City. Every single one, including the brand new ones with less than a week’s miles have needed adjusting and been transformed by doing so.

Ioniq 5’s are so new to market that I would ring ahead to ensure they have data to check against, but this would be my first port of call. Though haraldk does make a very valid point as well, it does really help if your tyres are actually round!

·
Registered
125 Posts
You may be interested in this - I do not recall adding the 56 days to the title, it was closer to 3 months. It did get resolved.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have only driven my IONIQ 5 on a motorway once, at 70mph, for around 20 minutes (when collecting it from the dealer), definitely no vibration of any kind.

This car is hi-tech, so it's easy to lose sight of the fact that there are certain elements - wheels and tyres included - that are subject to the same laws of physics (and potential mechanical problems) as any car that has ever been made so far :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interresting. I have the same issue (at about 100-120km/h). Vibrations in steeringwheel and seats. The rims and tires are alligned (the dots match), but still vibrations.
I`ve scheduled a testdrive with the dealership, but not until I`ve changed to winter tires.
If there`s a production flaw with the tires I`d be happy to learn about similar cases as it would be useful when discussing it with the dealership.
Noted that they should check for height deviations!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same issue. Intense vibrations as speed rises but particularly at 60+ MPH. The steering wheel vibrates in your hands and the centre console vibrates so intensely that it's uncomfortable to keep your arm on it. I only had my car for 2 days, the dealer has now had it for 2 weeks. I don't think anything has been done yet other than wheel and tire balancing - this didn't solve the issue. The dealer tech believes the issue maybe drive train components but from reading Christopher's plight it may well be the EPCU. The issue persists and the dealer have requested assistance from Hyundai UK. This seems to be a very slow process. The dealer is waiting for a donor car to change over drive train components and see if that solves the issue. It's hugely frustrating. Waited 4 months for the I5 after ordering and had 2 days driving in it. If it's not solved within the next week or two, or a replacement car provided, then I'll reluctantly reject the car.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Absolutely no vibration on our P45 at all. In fact the smoothness and lack of vibration is what stood out to me when we test drove one. If the centre console is vibrating and it was a wheel balance issue then it would be very obvious. The easiest way for the dealer to check this would be to swap the wheels from one of the cars they have in stock that is vibration free. If the problem goes away it’s the wheels/tyres if it doesn’t it’s in the drivetrain somewhere

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 73 Ultimate RWD in GG - Now rejected
100 Posts
You may be interested in this - I do not recall adding the 56 days to the title, it was closer to 3 months. It did get resolved.
I've just read the whole thing and you could honestly make a film out of it. You've had the patience of a saint to get through that situation with Hyundai and your car.

Well done indeed :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Further to my reply above, once the wheels are balanced, they are balanced. If that doesn't cure the issue, you need to insist of a full laser geometry check. I have found that 99.9% of main dealer can't do this, I use Tyre City in Luton, but they are a nationwide chain. Their machines check for Toe, Camber and Caster and depending on the suspension set up (for me, every car I have driven since 2008) they can adjust all of these at the front and rear of the car. Smaller cars (Peuget 207 & 208, Kiq Picanto etc) can only have the front altered.

My Vectra 1.9CTDi Auto SRi Estate, was transformed from a fidgety, shaking mess to an arrow straight haven of tranquility (yet the main Vauxhall dealer in Luton - as in factory and UK Head Office town) - said there was nothing they could do beyond balancing the wheels.

My last car, a Mitsibishi Outlander PHEV was almost the same, good but a bit twitchy on the motorway, I took it to Tyre City after my first week (over 1000 miles) with the car and the difference was astounding. It was quieter, smoother and an altogether better car.

I won't bore with tales of the 3 cars inbetween, but suffice to say they all benefited from this process. I pay for a contract so I can have as many checks as I want.

Find a reputable tyre place with a laser geometry machine, at Tyre city the check is free, you only pay if they make any adjustments (£40 for each end, so £80 for my HEV) but a two year, unlimited contract was about £150. When they do the check, the results come up on a big TV screen so you can see how far out everything is and watch as they bring it all back in line.

In the 12 years since the first check on my Vectra, I have driven over 450,000 miles, and I cannot recommend the service enough. In my case, it has been worth every penny to get a smooth, stable, compliant, quiet, safe ride at all speeds, on all road types.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the same issue. Intense vibrations as speed rises but particularly at 60+ MPH. The steering wheel vibrates in your hands and the centre console vibrates so intensely that it's uncomfortable to keep your arm on it. I only had my car for 2 days, the dealer has now had it for 2 weeks. I don't think anything has been done yet other than wheel and tire balancing - this didn't solve the issue. The dealer tech believes the issue maybe drive train components but from reading Christopher's plight it may well be the EPCU. The issue persists and the dealer have requested assistance from Hyundai UK. This seems to be a very slow process. The dealer is waiting for a donor car to change over drive train components and see if that solves the issue. It's hugely frustrating. Waited 4 months for the I5 after ordering and had 2 days driving in it. If it's not solved within the next week or two, or a replacement car provided, then I'll reluctantly reject the car.

Hello.

Any updates?

Cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interresting. I have the same issue (at about 100-120km/h). Vibrations in steeringwheel and seats. The rims and tires are alligned (the dots match), but still vibrations.
I`ve scheduled a testdrive with the dealership, but not until I`ve changed to winter tires.
If there`s a production flaw with the tires I`d be happy to learn about similar cases as it would be useful when discussing it with the dealership.
Noted that they should check for height deviations!
Hello.

Any updates?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello.

Any updates?

Cheers.
Nothing helpful. The dealer was asked by Hyundai UK Technical to rotate the tires on the wheels - there was a possibility that the tires may have been marked incorrectly at the factory and therefore not aligned properly. Honestly, there's no way that would create the type of vibrations the car had. It looks like Hyundai don't really know where to start so are tinkering around the edges. They've had the car over two weeks now and that's the second thing they tried. I've let them know about the EPCU fix that worked for Christopher but not had any feedback on that yet. I've emailed Hyundai UK CEO today to try and get things moving. I'll let you know if any progress is made.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My dealer have received 2 new tires from Hyundai. Have an appointment next week to do the swap. Will post results here.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nothing helpful. The dealer was asked by Hyundai UK Technical to rotate the tires on the wheels - there was a possibility that the tires may have been marked incorrectly at the factory and therefore not aligned properly. Honestly, there's no way that would create the type of vibrations the car had. It looks like Hyundai don't really know where to start so are tinkering around the edges. They've had the car over two weeks now and that's the second thing they tried. I've let them know about the EPCU fix that worked for Christopher but not had any feedback on that yet. I've emailed Hyundai UK CEO today to try and get things moving. I'll let you know if any progress is made.
You've got incredibly good patience sir!

I would be pressing the reject button by now.

We're only a small community due to the limited number of I5's supplied so far but the volume of problems on these vehicles seems disproportional.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agreed, I think they're going to have far more issues than they believe. It's strange though, as none of the tech is particularly new or ground breaking, other than perhaps the super fast charging capability. It's not like Hyundai are new to the electric car market either. It's probably more a case of they rushed the car through production. We can see that in things like the electrical gremlins, strange allocation of electric door handles and other items. I wonder if they're having to use new parts manufacturers that perhaps don't have the quality or R&D of their usual suppliers? In any case the issues are likely to be persistent.

Hyundai contacted me today and things have started to move. They are collecting my car from the dealer and their own techs will start working on it. They're also hunting for a replacement but with no unallocated stock that's likely to have a long lead time. I'll persist with them for now - they've been honest and open thus far, if a little slow to get things moving. They haven't given me any cause to doubt their determination to find a solution. If all else fails I've got time to reject the car - and probably order an EV6 :eek:

·
Registered
50 Posts
We're only a small community due to the limited number of I5's supplied so far but the volume of problems on these vehicles seems disproportional.
There's also the fact that you're naturally going to hear more about problems than from people who have nothing to complain about. The same can be said about online communities for quite a few products - one that comes to mind is the Dell subreddit which is full of people posting their complaints. If you only looked at that you'd wonder how they are still in business, but in reality while some are built very badly most are problem-free and people are happy using them.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Get someone to pay for a full car, laser geometry check. My Ioniq HEV was miles out of alignment fresh from the PDI (as was my Outlander PHEV).

·
Registered
100 Posts
There's also the fact that you're naturally going to hear more about problems than from people who have nothing to complain about. The same can be said about online communities for quite a few products - one that comes to mind is the Dell subreddit which is full of people posting their complaints. If you only looked at that you'd wonder how they are still in business, but in reality while some are built very badly most are problem-free and people are happy using them.
Yep, I totally agree but I have a sneaking suspicion that the I5 is going to have its fair share of significant problems - they just seem to be seeping out of the woodwork more and more on a daily basis.

I've said it before but I'm wondering if Hyundai rushed the I5 in an attempt to beat Kia.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yep, I totally agree but I have a sneaking suspicion that the I5 is going to have its fair share of significant problems - they just seem to be seeping out of the woodwork more and more on a daily basis.

I've said it before but I'm wondering if Hyundai rushed the I5 in an attempt to beat Kia.
Can you specify what you mean with "significant problems"?

All new products are due to have some teething problems, but it seems to me from this forum that most of the dissatisfaction is due to HUK's decisions on what to include in the different trim levels compared to what has been shown on the demo cars (and the lack of information about this), and not due to the car itself.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts