Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I noticed the power taken by the heating system when I was waiting in the car just before I started to drive, and was doing preheating (from the battery) before some others came. I hardly can believe that I saw something between 3 and 4 kW, I think it was 3.5 kW, but I do not remember the exact number very well. I just was surprised by such a high number. Did others also see such numbers?

If indeed it can take such a level of power, then it has the same capacity as the heat pump which is heating my whole house (and which typically costs between 5000 and 10000 euro). So, you could just heat your house by the heat pump of this car. I can imagine why they have chosen such a high capacity heat pump: due to that it can heat the car in only a few minutes, which indeed is very nice for cases when you did not preheat the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think you will find it also uses an electric heater to bring up the heat faster. As the car heats up so it uses the electric heater less.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Today morning we had -17 Celsius degrees and i was also pre-heating before hitting the road. The heat pump was taking almost 7kWatts. The heat was coming so soon after switching heater on that i was thinking could the heat pump generate heat so fast or is there some resistor based heater also involved?

If only heat pump and it has COP multiplier 4, like many household heat pumps has, that means 28kWatts of heat was generated. It cannot be so match? The plastic interior of the car would melt?

Anyway Ioniq EV is warm winter car. Quite soon heater power went down about 1kWatt. I like it in that sense too. Even in cold weather it is warming up fast, due to high capacity heater, but when warm enough it is energy conservative.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I noticed the same. See my previous post
Preheating of the car at these outside temperatures influence a lot the efficiency at this relatively short distances. It took about 5-6 kW for heating in the first 5-6 minutes before going down to 0,5 kW
I totally missed the last line of that post, as I was concentrating on the efficiency and range numbers you reported in the other lines.

Today morning we had -17 Celsius degrees and i was also pre-heating before hitting the road. The heat pump was taking almost 7kWatts. The heat was coming so soon after switching heater on that i was thinking could the heat pump generate heat so fast or is there some resistor based heater also involved?
Quite soon heater power went down about 1kWatt. I like it in that sense too. Even in cold weather it is warming up fast, due to high capacity heater, but when warm enough it is energy conservative.
The capacity numbers are even much higher than I already thought. This fast heating during the first five minutes at the start and low energy heating for maintaining the temperature is very good news to cope with the cold days, thereby combining comfort and energy efficiency. And still you can do preheating from the wall so that these first five minutes are not even taking charge from the battery. When you do not do the preheating, 5 minutes at say 6 kW will take 0.5 kWh of your battery charge, which is about 2%, or about 4 km (2.5 mile) of your range. For me this is never a problem, as I typically drive multiple days on one charge.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The only thing is that when your charger has, say 3.7 kW power and your heater is using 6 or 7 kW, you are still draining your battery....

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes, you need extended charging time (perhaps 5 to 10 minutes) to get the battery on 100% after the first 5 minutes high power heating phase. But I would expect the car arranges this for you.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a question for those driving in cold weather. The high power levels are used in the first say 5 minutes to get the car warm. But what is the experience with power levels after the car was already warm, just to maintain the interior temperature? I saw sometimes 0.3 or 0.5 kW for temperatures below the freezing point. What are values you have seen for 5 °C, 0 °C, -5 °C, -10 °C, -15 °C, -20 °C?

Reactions: MarB

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reading the thread about Ioniq arriving in Canada I start to wonder in which countries the Ioniq EV's have a heat pump and in which not. Is it only in Northern countries such as Canada, Norway, Finland, Sweden an option (the Cold Climate Package) that can be chosen and in all other countries there is no heat pump? Or is there a heat pump in other countries as well, but is a stronger heat pump offered in the Cold Climate Package?

Reactions: MarB

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's just an option here in Austria (don't know why).
In Germany there are 3 trims: The basic trim "Trend" doesn't have the heat pump, but the "Style" (middle trim) and "Premium" (top trim) do have it installed (it's not an option there).

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In the Netherlands in the extensive price list, it is indicated that both EV trims have a heat pump (but in the Dutch owners manual I cannot find any reference to it). Is that the same heat pump as more Northern countries get in the socalled Cold Climate Package? If so, then this package only differs in the heated back seats.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
These 2 or 3 minutes is also my experience, but for this instant boost, also an electric heating element may be engaged and added to the effort of the heat pump.

·
Registered
87 Posts
2- minutes to heat the cabin? What is the outside temperature?

Usually, an heat pump do not work at lower temperature than -12ºC.

If you guys have experience the heat pump working at much lower temperature let says -20ºC, that is a hudge advantage against competition.

I know by fact that some home heat pumps like mitsubishi and fujistu works at temperature like -25ºC.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The outside temperature can be -6 ºC, for example, what I have experienced, and still make it warm inside in minutes.
Indeed my 14 kW Fujitsu home heat pump can heat the house when it is -25 ºC outside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the choice due to an error in the car that arrived for me to take a car without or without the heat pump. I live in Ottawa, should I wait for the heat pump version or can I get by in Ottawa (which gets quite cold) without it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts