Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the features that I very much like is the vehicle to load capability of the Ioniq 5. We recently were without power for 9 days because of an ice storm and the large trees in our locale make power loss a frequent occurrence. It would be nice to use the car to power my well. The problem is that the pump, a 1 1/2 hp submersible, runs on 240volts. I assume the car will have only a 120 volt capability.

Am I wrong in this assumption? Is there anyway I can use an inverter to convert the 120 voltage to 240?

·
Registered
43 Posts
One of the features that I very much like is the vehicle to load capability of the Ioniq 5. We recently were without power for 9 days because of an ice storm and the large trees in our locale make power loss a frequent occurrence. It would be nice to use the car to power my well. The problem is that the pump, a 1 1/2 hp submersible, runs on 240volts. I assume the car will have only a 120 volt capability.

Am I wrong in this assumption? Is there anyway I can use an inverter to convert the 120 voltage to 240?
We don't know for certain, but it can be presumed that the car will emulate normal wall power. You'd have to connect the device through a suitable transformer. I've never had a need for one myself, but I believe those are readily available.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
314 Posts
Much of the rest of the world 240v is standard, so I would think non us versions would be 240v anyway, so it should certainly be capable of 240v.
I suppose the question is whether the US version will use 120 or 240 as standard, or whether it is switchable, or has 2 separate sockets.

Reactions: KrPtNk and KevinT

·
Super Moderator
1,751 Posts
It would be nice to use the car to power my well. The problem is that the pump, a 1 1/2 hp submersible, runs on 240volts. I assume the car will have only a 120 volt capability.
What is the capacity of your heat pump? Are you sure it does not draw more than 3.7 kW during ice storms? For my own 14 kW heat pump, the 3.7 kW provided by the Ioniq 5 would not be sufficient during extremely cold weather.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the capacity of your heat pump? Are you sure it does not draw more than 3.7 kW during ice storms? For my own 14 kW heat pump, the 3.7 kW provided by the Ioniq 5 would not be sufficient during extremely cold weather.
We don’t have a heat pump. We are on our own water well that is serviced by a 1 1/2 hp submersible pump which I would like to power with the car in the event of a power outage. Our ice storm downed many power lines, leaving us without power for days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Even if it ran on 120v I wonder how long this would run. I don’t know how many hours a day your pump runs but I would think if you ran it for days you’d deplete the car and be stuck at home with no water!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We don't know for certain, but it can be presumed that the car will emulate normal wall power. You'd have to connect the device through a suitable transformer. I've never had a need for one myself, but I believe those are readily available.
Yes transformers are readily available. I found quite a number on line. I think that this would solve my problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

Even if it ran on 120v I wonder how long this would run. I don’t know how many hours a day your pump runs but I would think if you ran it for days you’d deplete the car and be stuck at home with no water!
My well has a 100 gallon pressure tank, so running it for a few minutes would give me enough water to last several days.

·
Super Moderator
1,751 Posts
This video ("don't do this at home!") with English subtitles shows how to run your house on an Ioniq 5 battery:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts