Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a sad day for us.
We loved our Ioniq plugin but right from the start the goal has been to go V2H when possible. The only way is with a CHAdeMO plug only available on the Nissan Leaf.
Nissan Australia must be desperate to get rid of low mileage 40kW Leafs as the prices are super cheap and changeovers are great. The time to deal had arrived quicker than expected.
The only thing I am not sad to see go is the annoying beeping lane assist. Almost bad enough to turn off the piddly Ioniq LKAS....
Stupidly (and probably an indication of a lack of commitment to EV) the Leaf doesn't come with a granny charger so our Hyundai one lives on to keep the Leaf on the road for now. The Leaf seems to drive ok, not much different to the Ioniq. Nicer seats in the Leaf but a bit louder on the road. Great camera and stereo in the Leaf. Great camera, like an overhead drone, I don't know how they do it.
We would have happily upgraded to a BEV Ioniq if the CCS plug was 2 way but I suspect that is years away. The Chinese 6 KVA V2H unit is ordered and should arrive in 4 weeks.
A new chapter begins.......

IMG_20200723_122808.jpg

·
Registered
777 Posts
I didn't realize that there were any working vehicle-to-home systems out there, I'd always thought CHAdeMO's support for it was just theoretical rather than practical. I hope it works as well as you hope, and wouldn't mind if you reported back to us about it after a few weeks of settling in time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kevin,
There are a couple of Chinese suppliers doing the V2H units. Setec and Electway. If you go to Youtube and search Electway V2H a few videos come up.
The standard units are 3 and 4 KVA respectively. We are getting a larger 6KVA Setec model. It costs USD 3000 so needs to work a long while to recoup its cost. I guess I will be the bunny who tries first. I will let you know how it goes.....

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
yep, second @KevinT comment

pop back now and again and give us an update, always good to hear of tech like V2H and find out if it works as promised , or if anything to be aware of when looking at or selecting it

also good to get back to back comparisons between different cars as well, economy, comfort, equipment etc

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is just a couple of features worth noting in the Leaf;
On start up you dont have to wait for the full screen routine before heading away.
On stopping you just push the on/off button. No need to push PARK on the knob thingy.
Foot park brake is no more intrusive than the Ioniq which I never used either.
Cant get the satnav to speak which is weird. I am missing something obviously.
Stereo is heaps better. But then the stereo in our new Transit is better than the Ioniq.
The Leaf e-pedal is a gimmick for us as we use the adaptive cruise all the time (same as the Ioniq).
The Leaf eco mode is also a gimmick in the sense that is should just be on all the time. Fortunately it remains activated after turning the car off.
The boot space is odd but it does have a spacesaver tyre so that is a plus. Once I put the spare in the back of the Ioniq (as not carrying a spare in Australia is nuts , to paraphrase Boris) a lot of space is lost.
THe Leaf rides nicer but is louder in the cab.
At the end of the day I would say that both cars are on a par and I wouldn't bother going from an Ioniq to a Leaf if it were not for the v2h. Pretty much as expected.
I am in the poo with the Nissan dealer as when the sales cub demonstrated the car to us I pointed out there was no charger. He said there was a cable (just a glorified extension cable) and I said that if no charger was provided I would be keeping my old one. He must have thought I was joking....
Anyway the sales manager is all like "wheres our Hyundai charger?" and I'm like "in my garage charging the Leaf". Well we want it back. You can have it when you give me a Nissan one. No the Leaf only comes with the cable. Well selling an electric car without a charger is like selling an ICE car without a key to the petrol cap. Idiots, no wonder you can't sell Leafs.....
We had to laugh that when they brought the Leaf for us to see we charged the Leaf for one hour with our adaptor cable at a Chargepoint. If we hadn't done that the cub would not have made it back home to the dealership. We had to explain to him that if he wanted to get home he should turn off the heating and not go over 100km/h or he would be calling a tilt tray.
Luckily for us the Leaf came from a Melbourne dealer 120km away as our local dealer couldn't get within a bulls roar on the price but is happy to look after us on service and stuff, basically because he is not stupid. So basically the supplying dealer can just bugger off coz I can't see him ponying up with a new charger.
We tend to name our cars; the Ioniq was Ay Jay as the rego was AYJ. The Leaf is now Carlos in living memory of Carlos Ghosn. Since we bought the Leaf to "steal" free power from our local shopping centre to run our house it seems fitting to honour the former head of Nissan who had been ripping them off for years and escaped Japan to Lebanon in a double bass case smuggled onto a private jet. A true pirate legend....

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Firey Red
107 Posts
Hi Kevin,
There are a couple of Chinese suppliers doing the V2H units. Setec and Electway. If you go to Youtube and search Electway V2H a few videos come up.
The standard units are 3 and 4 KVA respectively. We are getting a larger 6KVA Setec model. It costs USD 3000 so needs to work a long while to recoup its cost. I guess I will be the bunny who tries first. I will let you know how it goes.....
I saw they were working on bringing in the 'official' V2H units @ AUD 10000 via JetCharge. That is crazy money for what is essentially the same setup as a solar inverter but you could buy 2 of our installed systems for that price.

At that price the cost to recoup is still a lot less than a 10KWh battery

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is crazy money
[/QUOTE]
Hi Sleepy,
Yes a crazy price but the JetCharge is supposed to be V2G which is a much more complicated animal to V2H.
I doubt that V2G will ever get going as it needs approval from so many different government and business entities, none of which it is of any advantage to.
Our simple V2H set up requires manually changing from grid to car as power source so not that sexy but I can flick a switch a fair few times to save 5,000 bucks....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Kevin,

I am also very interested in the 6kva which, according to setec outputs max 4200 watts, i want to use it in an off grid solar system as a backup "generator" for my battery bank. i'm sure i would use it in many other ways once i get one... I just dont want to be the guinea pig to potenially wast $5000 canadian

cant wait to hear how it works for you

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Jim,
Great to be called back to the subject!
Our new house is now wired to take the Setec 6kW unit which should arrive within a couple of weeks in a container of our other stuff. Not sure why yours is rated to 4200w, maybe to do with your voltage.
Below is the info they sent me;

Input voltage range: Maximum DC 450VInput current range: DC 20A
Output voltage: Single phase,AC220V
Output current range: AC 20A
Peak power output: 6kW
Conversion efficiency: 92% or more

Will post once we have it with my first impressions and whether it actually works....

Off topic we are enjoying the Leaf which replaced the Ioniq. I actually had a call today from the new owner of the Ioniq so it sat for nearly 10 weeks before sold for the same price they gave us as a trade in. Goes to show that there is no money for dealers in EVs in Australia considering the Leaf was dirt cheap also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Jim,
Great to be called back to the subject!
Our new house is now wired to take the Setec 6kW unit which should arrive within a couple of weeks in a container of our other stuff. Not sure why yours is rated to 4200w, maybe to do with your voltage.
Below is the info they sent me;

Input voltage range: Maximum DC 450VInput current range: DC 20A
Output voltage: Single phase,AC220V
Output current range: AC 20A
Peak power output: 6kW
Conversion efficiency: 92% or more

Will post once we have it with my first impressions and whether it actually works....

Off topic we are enjoying the Leaf which replaced the Ioniq. I actually had a call today from the new owner of the Ioniq so it sat for nearly 10 weeks before sold for the same price they gave us as a trade in. Goes to show that there is no money for dealers in EVs in Australia considering the Leaf was dirt cheap also.
i have had a 2016 30kwh leaf for the past 3 years and im loving it as well... Im planning on moving to an off grid location and setting up a fairly robust solar power system and if i can figure out a V2H system here in canada i will get a 2019 or 2020 leaf e plus for the sole reason as it will be an intergal part of my off grid battery bank, due to the chademo connector.

I am eagerly waiting for your feed back on the device... if it works for you i will be ordering one the following day!
I hope you put it though some vigorous testing to see how well it performs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going to let you in a little secret........
Our new house is only 100m walk from a highly under utilised free shopping centre charger.
Our plan is to fill the car for free and run our house so the SETEC will be getting run non stop. Will be the perfect test I think.
Once we get found out we will install solar panels and charge the car during the day and run from the battery at night.
We have the 40kWh Leaf, 60 is only just coming available and is stupid expensive. I guess you realise by the fact we are planning to bootleg our household energy needs that I have an eye for value so the 60 is a non starter.
We are not doing anything illegal and if they want to give away free zap then **** yeah I'll take it! Seems such a waste to just run our car for free......

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am going to let you in a little secret........
Our new house is only 100m walk from a highly under utilised free shopping centre charger.
Our plan is to fill the car for free and run our house so the SETEC will be getting run non stop. Will be the perfect test I think.
Once we get found out we will install solar panels and charge the car during the day and run from the battery at night.
We have the 40kWh Leaf, 60 is only just coming available and is stupid expensive. I guess you realise by the fact we are planning to bootleg our household energy needs that I have an eye for value so the 60 is a non starter.
We are not doing anything illegal and if they want to give away free zap then **** yeah I'll take it! Seems such a waste to just run our car for free......
I love it! I have a similar system going as well. My work has block heater plugs (120V 20 amp) that i use while im working (12 hour shifts) I rarely have to charge at home. I fill my battery at work and use all of my companies energy while im off and roll back in to fill up on my next shift...been doing this for 3 years now. next is to fill up my battery and use it for my house as well with the setec V2H system. I might even start taking one of my house batteries to work, one of two 5kwh batteries and charging it on a separate outlet on the rainy/cloudy days. My work doesnt like what im doing but they cant stop me even tho they have tried.(union protected) some day i will have 10 extension cords coming from my car going to every outlet i can find to charge miscellaneous batteries in my car and my car itself. my company uses $900,000 a month on electricty and are trying to stop me from taking a few pennies worth.... ridiculous!

Your setec unit will get some heavy use by the sounds of it. Cant wait to see if it lives up to your expectations.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great work Jim, always good to meet a fellow cheapskate stickin it to the man!
Our next container arrives 18/10 and I am pretty sure the Setec is in that. If so it will get a test run late next week.
Setec is hounding me to let them know what I think, I told them not to worry as I will let them know soon enough if it doesn't work.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can see that our Setec 6kVA v2h has finally arrived, not their fault.

As with most things Chinese the packaging is superb but when you open up the unit bits were not properly attached. No probs, just reattach and plug in.
It is dead simple to operate. Plug it in and push the button. It goes through a clickety clack routine and then light come on and off we go. No screen or startup routine to follow. Perfect.

The video shows that it actually works.

We will be in the house in about a month which is when it will need to work for real, I will send more pics then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts