Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well since owning the car I have been looking at the V2L dongle and wonder how it does what it does.

Looking at the unit I suspected that there couldn't be a whole lot going on because it didn't weigh too much.

With that in mind I thought it was fair to assume that the car did the heavy lifting in providing the angry pixies to allow us to dry the dog or boil a kettle or whatever it is you have done with V2L. and the dongle is just the means of connecting car to load and activating the Inverter in the car and allowing us the voltage output by the inverter.

So curiosity got the better of me today and i pulled it apart.

The main findings were that the dongle is indeed nothing more than a conduit from car to load with a switch to activate the inverter.

It activates the inverter by firstly telling the car there is something plugged into the charging port, This is done a circuit between between PP and PE with a 62 ohm resistance

Then when we operate the switch the CP line is also connected back to PE through the switch and thermal fuse which then tells the car to lock in the V2L dongle and switch on the inverter. Again this circuit has a resistance of 62 ohm

It's a pretty simple setup really with only a switch, a led and a thermal fuse to stop supply if the V2L socket gets too hot.

Hood Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Fender

Tool Wood Bumper Knife Data storage device
Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Musical instrument
Automotive lighting Auto part Electric blue Nail Fashion accessory

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Gas

Automotive tire Camera lens Musical instrument Reflex camera Hat

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Electrical supply Machine
Light Gadget Audio equipment Electrical wiring Peripheral

Circuit component Passive circuit component Green Hardware programmer Electronic engineering
Gesture Finger Gadget Communication Device Computer data storage

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have been wondering how, or even if, Hyundai deals with location specific voltages and AC frequencies. Most of the world would be fine with 50 Hz and 240 volts but for North America they claim the V2L adaptor puts out 120 volts. I have not seen anything saying they put out 60 Hz. But there are a bunch of electrical devices, usually older ones, that would have problems if fed 50 Hz power so I assume they are generating 60 Hz.

Having examined your assembly, do you have any insight into how Hyundai deals with this? Does the V2L adaptor somehow tell the car’s inverter what voltage and frequency to generate? Or do you think that is baked into the vehicle’s inverter and the inverter you get is based on the market the car is shipped to?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been wondering how, or even if, Hyundai deals with location specific voltages and AC frequencies. Most of the world would be fine with 50 Hz and 240 volts but for North America they claim the V2L adaptor puts out 120 volts. I have not seen anything saying they put out 60 Hz. But there are a bunch of electrical devices, usually older ones, that would have problems if fed 50 Hz power so I assume they are generating 60 Hz.

Having examined your assembly, do you have any insight into how Hyundai deals with this? Does the V2L adaptor somehow tell the car’s inverter what voltage and frequency to generate? Or do you think that is baked into the vehicle’s inverter and the inverter you get is based on the market the car is shipped to?
I suspect they ship the cars with the invertor to suit the market it's going too

What I would like to know though is if the car has 240v inverter and just connecting between PE and live to get 110v output on the V2L dongle.

I have not seen what spec a NA market car charges at in regards to AC

·
Registered
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
319 Posts
Thanks so much for this teardown. Now we know the different outputs are a function of the inverter.

I'm still wondering if the inverter is a standard part for all markets and there's an adjustment, firmware version or component swap done for different voltages and frequencies. Ideally I'd like to get back the full power ouput of that inverter for an American market car by getting two 120 VAC circuits or one 240 VAC circuit, 60 Hz, at 16 amps, which seems to be the current limit of the inverter.

It sure would be nice to get anything you want with a code update.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks so much for this teardown. Now we know the different outputs are a function of the inverter.

I'm still wondering if the inverter is a standard part for all markets and there's an adjustment, firmware version or component swap done for different voltages and frequencies. Ideally I'd like to get back the full power ouput of that inverter for an American market car by getting two 120 VAC circuits or one 240 VAC circuit, 60 Hz, at 16 amps, which seems to be the current limit of the inverter.

It sure would be nice to get anything you want with a code update.

I see that the standard you guys use for charging allows 120 to 240, so maybe the car does have a 240 inverter onboard.

Hopefully someone over your side of the Atlantic can be inspired by the info here and do the same to the 120v V2L then you will be able to see and test what the cars doing.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, waiting for Ioniq 5
819 Posts
Hopefully someone over your side of the Atlantic can be inspired by the info here and do the same to the 120v V2L then you will be able to see and test what the cars doing.
Thanks for the photos. From what I have read, I don't think anyone on the forum from the US has a VTL adaptor - only the outlet under the back seat. Hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If the external V2L adater is not standard kit with the US IONIQ 5....

And it costs a small fortune to buy from Hyundai...

And it is simple and easy to make one...

Perhpas someone (in China?) will start making inexpensive compatible ones.

Personally, my UK car with with it, but this will help US owners.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL AWD Digitial Teal
110 Posts
Well since owning the car I have been looking at the V2L dongle and wonder how it does what it does.

Looking at the unit I suspected that there couldn't be a whole lot going on because it didn't weigh too much.

With that in mind I thought it was fair to assume that the car did the heavy lifting in providing the angry pixies to allow us to dry the dog or boil a kettle or whatever it is you have done with V2L. and the dongle is just the means of connecting car to load and activating the Inverter in the car and allowing us the voltage output by the inverter.

So curiosity got the better of me today and i pulled it apart.

The main findings were that the dongle is indeed nothing more than a conduit from car to load with a switch to activate the inverter.

It activates the inverter by firstly telling the car there is something plugged into the charging port, This is done by the Red wire connected between PP and PE

Then when we operate the switch the CP line is also connected back to PE through the switch and thermal fuse which then tells the car to lock in the V2L dongle and switch on the inverter.

It's a pretty simple setup really with only a switch, a led and a thermal fuse to stop supply if the V2L socket gets too hot.

View attachment 39194
View attachment 39201 View attachment 39200 View attachment 39197
View attachment 39199
View attachment 39203

View attachment 39198 View attachment 39202 View attachment 39196 View attachment 39195
Sounds like you've been watching a little too much AvE lol. Did you throw this thing on the healing bench after you got it apart?

...I hope you know what I'm talking about

·
Registered
6 Posts
Will V2L external adapter work with any IONIQ5 UK variants? The question is more for IONIQ5 in UK entry level trim 'SE Connect Auto' where V2L pack is not even an option. I am not after the 'internal port AC socket' but V2L external adapter part only.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ltd AWD
117 Posts
My new Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ltd has a V2L plug inside on rear seat front. (The exterior connector is an expensive accessory.) When you take it apart, let me know what's in there and just what I can use it for, okay?
Forehead Nose Lip Hairstyle Shoulder

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the photos. From what I have read, I don't think anyone on the forum from the US has a VTL adaptor - only the outlet under the back seat. Hope I am wrong.
Based on this video, looks like Kyle's dad has one. I purchased my car from the same dealer on the same day. They didn't offer that as an option to me, but I also didn't ask. I actually assumed it came with the car, but was wrong.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will V2L external adapter work with any IONIQ5 UK variants? The question is more for IONIQ5 in UK entry level trim 'SE Connect Auto' where V2L pack is not even an option. I am not after the 'internal port AC socket' but V2L external adapter part only.
I don't know, it would require the inverter in the car to be a standard fit.

Only way to know would be try one in the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

Thanks, I am going to do this next week and get back to the forum. It is a bit strange that 'sales people' would not know much about this capability. Even the EV cars with smallest batteries (around 40kWh) is much bigger than Tesla Wall Battery. I foreseen EV cars shall play a role in the future of energy storage with AC/DC and DC/AC.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wonder how does this V2L adapter signal the car to enable the output. Is it as simple as you say, or are there any extra resistors or PWM involved? I wonder if it's possible to trigger full three phase out.
Like I said in the original post, The original v2l enables power out from the car by shorting the CP & PP pins to earth, I haven't tested to see if the other AC wires go live or not.

1 - 20 of 289 Posts