Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
The mechanical key hidden inside your key fob can be used to unlock the cover of the interior AC outlet. Once unlocked you can slide the cover to the side and the receptacle is then accessible. I have verified that. I haven’t actually tried turning it on or plugging anything into it yet. I guess I should just to verify operation.

It seems to me that the external adapter would be more useful for running an extension cord into your house to run some critical loads if you have a grid outage. If you were to use the receptacle inside the car you would have to leave a window cracked open and since many grid outages are associated with storms that might result in your car’s interior getting wet. So I plan on getting the external adaptor someday but at the current $500 for what looks to be simply some cheap plastic and a few wires I really can’t bring myself to buy one at present. My guess is that if they are as simple as they appear there will be a much cheaper aftermarket version shortly.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Please bear with me as I try to navigate all of this. I acquired a 2022 Ioniq 5, Limited, US version. My take away from the conversation is as follows.
  • There is an adapter that allows me to plug in appliances from outside of the car. This is not standard equipment for the US versions.
  • There is a plug inside of the car that I can use to plug in appliances.
Personally, I cannot seem to access the port inside - I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I can purchase at outside adapter if I so choose.

Short of supplying power to another EV, is there an advantage to having the external adapter?

Thanks.

Randall
I haven't used mine, yet, but in event of power failure in house, you can run your freezer or refrig off long extension cord to I5. Or you can run your portable microwave to heat lunch in back seat on long drives. You could use vibramassage device while driving to next charger station, or charge your drone batteries for another spy mission.
Microphone Flag Tie Spokesperson Suit

Also, the inside 110v power plug has a lock on it. This lock requires the "special" key that is "hidden" inside the fob (push button-slide out). Manual has poor explanation and depiction of this.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I don’t understand why you need the external V2L adaptor if you already have the interior V2L underneath the rear seat? Do you really need to emergency charge 2 Teslas at the same time?
Agreed and I was able to draw a substantial load yesterday (compressor) from the outlet under the seat.

HOWEVER: I can't get the Tesla Ioniq5 or Bolt chargers to work with that outlet...they show a ground fault. I have had that issue with other generators and DC inverters in the past. The chargers need to detect a good ground to neutral connection.

Note the power
Blue Light Gadget Electrical wiring Adapter

strip also detects a fault.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited Lucid Blue/Gray
227 Posts
Please bear with me as I try to navigate all of this. I acquired a 2022 Ioniq 5, Limited, US version. My take away from the conversation is as follows.
  • There is an adapter that allows me to plug in appliances from outside of the car. This is not standard equipment for the US versions.
  • There is a plug inside of the car that I can use to plug in appliances.
Personally, I cannot seem to access the port inside - I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I can purchase at outside adapter if I so choose.

Short of supplying power to another EV, is there an advantage to having the external adapter?

Thanks.

Randall
The only advantage is you don't need to leave the door open or window cracked open when using the internal plug. Other than that, it's the same thing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
HOWEVER: I can't get the Tesla Ioniq5 or Bolt chargers to work with that outlet...they show a ground fault. I have had that issue with other generators and DC inverters in the past. The chargers need to detect a good ground to neutral connection.

Note the power
strip also detects a fault.
When you're running EVSEs from an isolated source like a battery, you have to short the ground to the neutral. In your household, the two meet back at the main service panel, and the EVSE checks to make sure there's a closed circuit between them for any fault current. Cut open an extension cord and tie the white and green wires, or make a similar device out of home depot parts. You should never use such a device plugged into your actual mains, but it's fine running from an isolated inverter like this, no more or less safe. If the EVSE complains when plugged into a house, you have wiring problems you should actually address.

The only advantage is you don't need to leave the door open or window cracked open when using the internal plug. Other than that, it's the same thing.
It would make a LOT more sense if you could get a 240V plug adapter, especially if it was properly split-phase so you had two separate 120V15A circuits with a Y cable. That's something that might actually be worth $500 to a tradesperson. As it is, it seems ludicrous to me that you'd pay $500 for basically just the ability to leave the car locked/weatherproof while still V2Ling.

It's doubly annoying that the EV6 chooses to include this ludicrously overpriced dongle on every trim INSTEAD of a mobile EVSE I'd actually use from day 1.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited Lucid Blue/Gray
227 Posts
It would make a LOT more sense if you could get a 240V plug adapter, especially if it was properly split-phase so you had two separate 120V15A circuits with a Y cable. That's something that might actually be worth $500 to a tradesperson. As it is, it seems ludicrous to me that you'd pay $500 for basically just the ability to leave the car locked/weatherproof while still V2Ling.

It's doubly annoying that the EV6 chooses to include this ludicrously overpriced dongle on every trim INSTEAD of a mobile EVSE I'd actually use from day 1.
A tradesperson wouldn't be looking at this car if they are serious about using it for work. They will be looking at something like the Ford Lightning. The i5 is not meant for professional use, if you can use it that way, then kudos, but that's not what the car is for. The car is for normal use and the V2L adapter achieves that with extension cord or power strip.

If I was going to use the adapter a lot, then $500 is worth it because I'm not the type to just leave my doors unlocked when I'm not there or leave the window open for bugs to come in. But dealers are inflating the prices of all parts right now if it's hard to get. Just wait for prices to go back to normal.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
A tradesperson wouldn't be looking at this car if they are serious about using it for work. They will be looking at something like the Ford Lightning. The i5 is not meant for professional use, if you can use it that way, then kudos, but that's not what the car is for. The car is for normal use and the V2L adapter achieves that with extension cord or power strip.

If I was going to use the adapter a lot, then $500 is worth it because I'm not the type to just leave my doors unlocked when I'm not there or leave the window open for bugs to come in. But dealers are inflating the prices of all parts right now if it's hard to get. Just wait for prices to go back to normal.
Actually if the USA adapter was 220v as it is in Europe? it would be well worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Write up another person that was frustrated that the V2L adaptor wasn’t included with my top of the line.

But, that’s not even my problem now, as I can’t seem to get the one under the seat to work. When the car is on, there is a blue light that surrounds the plug that goes red as soon as anything is plugged in when the car is on, but the colour led light is not on when the car is off and nothing happens if I plug anything in.

i can’t get anything to power off it when the car is on or off, after sliding it open or anything.

i don’t expect anyone from the dealer or Hyundai is going to be able to help me with this so I have to turn to you guys.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD LR w. Ultimate (Limited)
37 Posts
Presumably a Euro external V2L adapter would be happy to supply 220V from a US car. Might be worth importing one to have the option.
Not true, it's the car that does the translation from 800V to AC (pseudo) sine wave.

Euro cars have 240V inverters, North American ones have 110V.

Check out the tear-down: V2L inner secrets (Not Many)

There's almost no logic or circuitry inside the device - certainly no inverter or conversion circuitry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"Short of supplying power to another EV, is there an advantage to having the external adapter?"

how about powering your refrig and electronics during a prolonged power outages?

but... omg, they're almost $600 from Hyundai, with tax

so i purchased a Korean plug version on Ebay for around 300 bucks
Hyundai factory sealed, with a beautiful zippered case
sellers name was pink shop... got here in Raleigh in 8 days via DHL

it's just a shaped plastic tube with a couple of chips, wires... prob 20-30 bucks mfg costs

Korea uses an F plug, so i bought a $10 adapter (not a converter) and tried it out on the cheapest non-dual-voltage thing i own, an electric fan

it breezed right up to full speed, and didn't set itself on fire

which was nice, because i love that fan

i think i read that Korea was 220 volts, so i fully expected the output volts of the Korean V2L to be 220... nope, 110!

also bought this F plug adapter from Amazon for $20

it plugs into the F outlet in the rear of the v2l, acts as the adapter to dual USA 3-prongs, plus it has one type-c and two type-a outlets
also bought two plug-in digital kill-a-watts to monitor how high the watts get when i plug in the refrigerators, one at a time
the initial power surge requirement to fire up the motor in the refrigerator compressor is often 3 times or more than the running wattage listed on that little steel plate inside the fridge itself

who knew!

the trick is... plug in the largest fridge first, get it up to speed, then plug in the second

probably

i've gone outside and shook my fist at the heavens above, but it's still nice weather outside...

so there's absolutely no way for a lazy guy to test this... lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just took delivery of Limited and dealer tells me V2L cable was never included?

Yes/no?

Kind of need it but not urgently
You got the better V2L system. But if you want I trade you my car and the exterior V2L. Your even draws more power. I should have waited and got the limited version. You can use V2L from inside your car while everybody else can only use it outside of their car.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts