Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Preferred Short Range
185 Posts
Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately, those stocks are only for US orders. We are already working to ship stocks to Canada so we can fulfill the backorders in Canada but we currently do not have an ETA yet.

I understand that this is not ideal and we are sorry for the experience.

Let me know if you are willing to wait or if you wish to cancel the order.

Reply from customer service regarding my inquiry about Canadian orders. I ordered from their website, not Amazon.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Found this and about to purchase. Found another 10% off coupon (WELCOME10)
Could you plug a surge protector on this adapter and use it? the surge protector with 6 ports , i want to plug multiple devices on to it . is this possible with this adapter?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I received my Lectron V2l adapter yesterday. Of course i had to immediately test it out. I used a Worx WG512 leave vacuum and mulcher that is rated at 12 amps. I used it while plugged into the car, to reach a section of my yard that is too far away to access with my extension cords.

I vacuumed for a good 1/2 hour straight, before darkness set in. The car's battery did not even decrease by 1%. It was so cool.

This weekend i will be simulating a power failure at my house to test powering the house with the car. I have a generator subpanel in the basement with a connecting jack next to my front door. I will run an extension cord from the car and connect to one phase of the subpanel, where i have most of my lighting and receptacle circuits. This phase averages about 600 to 800 watts during a typical day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I received my Lectron V2l adapter yesterday. Of course i had to immediately test it out. I used a Worx WG512 leave vacuum and mulcher that is rated at 12 amps. I used it while plugged into the car, to reach a section of my yard that is too far away to access with my extension cords.

I vacuumed for a good 1/2 hour straight, before darkness set in. The car's battery did not even decrease by 1%. It was so cool.

This weekend i will be simulating a power failure at my house to test powering the house with the car. I have a generator subpanel in the basement with a connecting jack next to my front door. I will run an extension cord from the car and connect to one phase of the subpanel, where i have most of my lighting and receptacle circuits. This phase averages about 600 to 800 watts during a typical day.
nice! could you update us when you are done with the testing , also how is the adapter holding up ? does it over heat or anything? overall product quality what would you rate ? could you give us a little bit of a review on the product itself
thank you!

·
Registered
772 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
nice! could you update us when you are done with the testing , also how is the adapter holding up ? does it over heat or anything? overall product quality what would you rate ? could you give us a little bit of a review on the product itself
thank you!
In my opinion, this adapter is solid but needs a re-design. Unfortunately I can't recommend this for purchase, unless you are willing to put in a little work to overcome it's limitation. Basically, it is very difficult to keep an extension cord plugged in firmly enough, to avoid power disruption when the plug becomes loose.

I just conducted a 26 hour power failure simulation at my house. First I want to thank The Ioniq Guy for his excellent YouTube channel and in particular the one about powering your home with the car. He used the Hyundai V2L adapter.

The Hyundai V2L adapter has a power button that you must push, to enable the adapter to supply power. However the Lectron incorporates a tiny pin that is depressed when you plug in a cord. The plug must be fully inserted at all times or the power will turn off. It's practically impossible to keep the plug in tight enough to keep the power flowing.

Peripheral Audio equipment Gas Camera accessory Picture frame

First, i changed the end of my cord to an end that fit firmer, but it wasn't enough. I ended up wire tying the cord to the adapter, which mostly worked except for 2 more times when the power went out in my house. Each time, the plug was slightly out enough so that the pin was not fully depressed again. I emailed Lectron support and their answer was simply that the pin needs to be fully depressed.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Tread

There are various ways to fix the problem of a loose connection, but my solution i'm going with involves this 3 foot cord with 15 amp breaker. I was lucky enough to have bought it just for this test. It just so happens to fit perfectly - in order to clamp the cord in using a 2 1/4 " hose clamp. Then the cord cannot move.

If you did not have this specific cord, clamping some other cord would again result in the tiny pin not getting depressed.

Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Font Material property Gas Audio equipment Automotive tire

Unfortunately, after you insert the adapter with this clamped in cord, you cannot pull the adapter out of the car (even after unlocking with the key fob). You must loosen the clamp and pull out the cord (slightly) first.

Automotive tire Gas Font Rim Cylinder

So in my case, i have my emergency power solution tested and ready to go. I still feel like buying another Lectron adapter to take apart and see how i could modify it. I imagine a short cord coming directly out of the adapter with a lighted female end, and swapping the tiny pin for a switch on the case of the adapter, like the adapter from Hyundai has.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my opinion, this adapter is solid but needs a re-design. Unfortunately I can't recommend this for purchase, unless you are willing to put in a little work to overcome it's limitation. Basically, it is very difficult to keep an extension cord plugged in firmly enough, to avoid power disruption when the plug becomes loose.
The Hyundai V2L adapter has a power button that you must push, to enable the adapter to supply power. However the Lectron incorporates a tiny pin that is depressed when you plug in a cord. The plug must be fully inserted at all times or the power will turn off. It's practically impossible to keep the plug in tight enough to keep the power flowing.
Thanks for this post, I just received my Lectron adapter but couldn't get it to work. Reading your post made me realize I didn't have the cord plugged in tight enough to depress that little pin, and that solved the problem. You'd think the instructions would mention that! Anyway, the adapter doesn't seem to lock in like they say it should and I can easily remove it without pressing the door unlock button. Makes me a little leery about the quality.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another PROBLEM with the lectron V2L is that it shows open ground if you plug in a simple 3 light tester into it, Like the OEM from Korea with the USA adaptor..

so a few things / devices that sense if there is a ground, like a EV charger (tesla in the case of this other post) it will not work unless you make a adaptor to bridge ground to neutral
Ioniq 5 V2L to Tesla 3 failure
The OEM USA version has ground and neutral tied together, but this Lectron dose not, and when I wrote Lectron customer service, saying I was not happy and wanted to return it they gave me a canned answer.

shown here:

We are truly sorry that you are not satisfied with our product. We understand your disappointment and apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

Before we ship any product, it undergoes several stages of quality checks. It is our intention to provide only the highest quality items to our customers.

The V2L adaptor is designed for everyday use, and the V2L adaptor's GND is connected to EV GND. This adaptor works well with household electric appliances.

Thank you.

Regards,

·
Registered
81 Posts
Another PROBLEM with the lectron V2L is that it shows open ground if you plug in a simple 3 light tester into it, Like the OEM from Korea with the USA adaptor..

so a few things / devices that sense if there is a ground, like a EV charger (tesla in the case of this other post) it will not work unless you make a adaptor to bridge ground to neutral
Ioniq 5 V2L to Tesla 3 failure
The OEM USA version has ground and neutral tied together, but this Lectron dose not, and when I wrote Lectron customer service, saying I was not happy and wanted to return it they gave me a canned answer.
I'm always confused about bonded neutral, but my understanding is that neutral and ground should only be bonded in one place.

So in the case of being out in the field with a generator / car-V2L, you have no bond and would want to tie the two together somehow.

However in the case of powering your home by feeding a generator breaker in your panel, the system has an existing neutral and ground bond point. So would would NOT want a bonded neutral on the generator / car-V2L.

Luckily, my generator (and now my car) do not have bonded neutrals, so they are properly set up for home power. It would be much more difficult to have a properly connected system if neutral and ground were bonded in the generator or car.

When i plugged a 3 prong tester into an outlet in my house, it registered as correctly wired. I did not directly test the receptacle on the adapter, which apparently would have shown open ground. I'll test that, first chance i get.

In my case, i'm glad the adapter doesn't have a bonded neutral. For powering devices out in the field, might a custom pigtail be made that has a bonded neutral?

I'm also confused how the test light shows open ground - if the ground is connected to EV GND as they claim.

·
Registered
81 Posts
thinking of gluing something on that button so it's easier to press
That's another option i was thinking about. Making the button easier to fully depress. Maybe a simple thing like a couple of tiny squares of duct tape - placed on the plug end of the extension cord, right in the middle between the prongs?

it really bothers me how there is not a tight connection, since the way this is designed, a tight or loose connection is what makes the thing work or fail. Honestly for me it's a "what were they thinking?" deal.

·
Registered
2023 Hyundai IONIQ 5 SEL AWD (Gravity Gold)
110 Posts
That's another option i was thinking about. Making the button easier to fully depress. Maybe a simple thing like a couple of tiny squares of duct tape - placed on the plug end of the extension cord, right in the middle between the prongs?

it really bothers me how there is not a tight connection, since the way this is designed, a tight or loose connection is what makes the thing work or fail. Honestly for me it's a "what were they thinking?" deal.
That’s why oem charges $450-$850 ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
That’s why oem charges $450-$850 ;)
Well, in the end we'll figure out how to make this as bulletproof as possible. Lectron has still honestly provided a valuable service to us - by producing an alternative to the super expensive / non-obtainable OEM V2L adapter.

V2L is more than a simple party trick, for those of us who do have home power outages. I'm realizing that LED's and newer electronics are enabling most if not all critical home circuits to be easily powered by a simple 15 amp power source. It's amazing when you think about it. My home was averaging 400-800 watts throughout my 26 hour test - except when my wife made morning coffee and it drew about 1400 for about 5 mins. We were watching separate TV's, streaming from the internet, powering our refrigerator and our freezer in the garage. All lights and most receptacles were working.

I have an electric heat pump, so i still need to figure out emergency heat. That's the last piece of the puzzle. But the Ioniq Guy had a furnace that only required power to a blower motor. So he was set.

I just wish the cars would put out 240v for those of us in the US. It would make things so much simpler. But hey, if i can do this for the price of a $120 adapter, i'm still super impressed. Hyundai / Kia / Genesis group cars are setting themselves apart, as are Ford and Rivian trucks. I predict that most people will eventually realize how much of a selling point this feature is, and EV's without V2L will be seen as second rate.

If you can't already tell, i'm super excited. Standard procedure for power failures in the past involved sitting in the dark for 1/2 hour or so to see if the power was coming back. After 30 mins, i would give in and start pulling the generator out of the garage, fire it up, connect to the house, and go downstairs to flip the transfer breaker. Now it will be a 5 min wait, and then another 5 mins to connect and power up the house.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just ordered an OEM V2L adapter (Part #GIH68-AK0A0) from OEM Hyundai Parts & Accessories | Factory Hyundai Parts Online ... $195.50 + $9.34 shipping. Total cost $204.84, and I should have it next week. The website says the list price is $230.

Yeah on second thought, if i do get another V2L adapter, i would go with this one. Maybe also hardwire a cord to it with nema 5-15 receptacle end to make it a little more friendly. This one remains the better deal even with needing a receptacle adapter. It's the power activation button that's the critical piece. The neutral - ground bonding requirement should not be a big deal - easily be worked out on either adapter.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts