Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
I suppose if the Ioniq had active suspension Hyundai would probably boast about it. I am not aware of any Hyundai with active suspension, and according to various non-Hyundai web sites the Ioniq does not have active suspension.

Example:
https://www.hullhyundai.com/new/compare/2017-Hyundai-Ioniq_Electric-vs-2017-Volkswagen-Golf_R.html

And if the suspension is passive, I fail to see how damper stiffness could be changed on the ride.

EDIT: As a matter of fact the new Hyundai i30 N does have adaptive suspension. But it appears to be an outlier in Hyundai's European range.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I just read a paper explaining that whether the €80 000, 477 bhp Lexus RC-F "retains the authenticity of the driver's feel" thanks to its "passive transmission" and naturally aspired engine. Thus its suspension stiffness remains the same whether in Ecodrive (!) or Sport mode.

I am so happy to have an "authentic" car! :D

Link in French: Lexus RC-F : l'alternative | Automobile

·
Registered
384 Posts
I now stay permanently in sport mode while driving on narrow, secondary country roads, with limited visibility. I don't drive in a "sporty" way at all, just find the sport mode more convenient and even more relaxing in those conditions. I'm talking about narrow, curvy roads between fields, with fairly old asphalt.
In those conditions it's convenient to have responsive pedals and direction because one must frequently change pace, and be ready to quickly slow down and drive to the side when a car shows up in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I now stay permanently in sport mode while driving on narrow, secondary country roads, with limited visibility. I don't drive in a "sporty" way at all, just find the sport mode more convenient and even more relaxing in those conditions. I'm talking about narrow, curvy roads between fields, with fairly old asphalt.
In those conditions it's convenient to have responsive pedals and direction because one must frequently change pace, and be ready to quickly slow down and drive to the side when a car shows up in the opposite direction.
Ironically, I drive most of the time on such roads and dislike the Sport Mode intently for it's `grabby` response, immediate throttle and need to keep the throttle foot under tight control.

After more than a year of Ioniq ownership I have bowed to the cars will and instead leave the PHEV in Hybrid mode, with its far more relaxed feel, on such roads. Unlike with the Hybrid I have not felt the need to make use of the Sport Mode on anything other than steep hills.

·
Super Moderator
1,999 Posts
Most of the roads around my way are narrow , winding and hilly . Never felt the need for Sport apart from some of the steeper hills and mountains or teaching an annoying tailgater a lesson ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
I find normal EV mode adequate on a narrow windy road driven daily.If a car is coming the other way I slow down and prepare to stop. Why would I need the Sports mode in those circumstances?

·
Registered
540 Posts
As much as I like Sport mode on the BEV model, I don't like how the regen is less powerful than on normal and eco modes. I'm on regen 3 and in sport mode the effect is less than the regen 3 in the other modes. I drive in normal 95% of the time now.

Sport mode is very jumpy if you don't modulate the pedal steadily and because of the eco tires, there's a lot of tire chirping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys. I am Jorge. I drive an Ionic PHEV in Spain. New in the forum

About the sport mode, I see that when you activate it while driving, you get the whole electric motor power if you don't acceletare too hard or drive uphill. At the same time, the gas engine starts in idle to charge the battery. It's nice to feel how powerful a 60HP electric engine can be. It's a real EV experience in a Hybrid one.
After a while, if you keep the sport mode the gas engine will start giving traction...I guess to avoid depleting the battery.

In my opinion, Hyundai should give you the oportunity to get the whole electric engine power, something like a "ECO power mode". If you drive smooth, the energy consumption is still low in the sport mode.

By the way, talking about the battery, After one year and 10.000 Km I still get 100% and 63Km range (absolutely real in city drive...one day I did 67 Km in one charge, amazing! On the road...about 50 Km, which is nice also!

What a great car!

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,816 Posts
Hi guys. I am Jorge. I drive an Ionic PHEV in Spain. New in the forum
Hi Jorge! Welcome to the forum. Please feel free to introduce yourself in the New Member Forum section. There's also a member map you can have yourself added to by the admins by posting a reply in the Member Map thread. I think there are a few others from Spain on here as well.

Any questions, just ask.

·
Registered
98 Posts
... I see that when you activate it while driving, you get the whole electric motor power if you don't acceletare too hard or drive uphill. At the same time, the gas engine starts in idle to charge the battery...
Hi, Jorge,
The initial system behavior when switching to Sport mode is the same as when switching to HEV mode by pressing the HEV/EV button - the ICE needs to get lubricated (and, possibly, also warm up a little) and, while doing so, it stays disengaged from the transmission and charges the battery. This takes a few seconds the first time the ICE kicks in and then about a second on the subsequent ICE firings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone got the same problem with sport mode like me?
Some times sport mode is full manual. I have to switch with paddles to gear up. When this happens
Gear down is never a problem.
i can't bring it back to automatic in sportmode (S symbol). Normally when i hold the +paddle for 3 sec i can bring
it back to full auto or just set i back to Eco and then back to sport.
But sometimes its just impossible.

·
Registered
2020 Polar White Ioniq PHEV
24 Posts
Has anyone used Sport Mode exclusively for an extended amount of time? What MPGs did you get?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Has anyone used Sport Mode exclusively for an extended amount of time? What MPGs did you get?
Generally (in my PHEV not HEV) I use EV mode for all my city driving to reduce ICE emissions. However when the battery has gone to HEV anyway, I tend to use Sport mode driven modestly to boost my battery for later city EV driving and then recharge the larger capacity PHEV battery on plug-in power supply.

Here are some examples of this and other techniques.

Please read all 3 pages of this thread as there are actual real world examples of different PHEV driving techniques and fuel economy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Using the Sport mode 100% of the time now since:

1. Driving the car once a week, ICE engine must run.
2. Driving the car once a week, gas must be used up.
3. Driving the car once a week, must have some fun.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts