Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, quick question. Can u play USB music via any of the two USB ports (front dash and under the arm rest)? Or does it only play from the front dash USB port?

If only from the front dash USB port, isn't it a problem each time one has to use CarPlay as that also needs the USB port for the cable?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Only the front port for media . The armrest USB is for charging only ...though I haven't tested it out ;)

·
Registered
776 Posts
You only can play USB from front dash. In the mid console the usb only delivers power (5V) for charging phones/,tabets. When using Carplay or Android Auto the front USB must be unplugged first. Rumours tell that AA next version perhaps will be wireless.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's really bad design tbh. How can one be expected to unplug USB drive each time for music n then plug it back in afterwards. Also this means one can't use both CarPlay n USB stick for music at the same time which is a shame and defies part of the purpose.

I agree going wireless for CarPlay/AA is the way to go....

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
You only can play USB from front dash. In the mid console the usb only delivers power (5V) for charging phones/,tabets. When using Carplay or Android Auto the front USB must be unplugged first. Rumours tell that AA next version perhaps will be wireless.
The rumour of wireless AndroidAuto has been around for about a year ,so maybe it will arrive soon.
As far as unplugging the USB to connect the phone goes, you can still play music from the phone whilst other apps are running. I have no problem doing that, though it does depend on how much storage space is on the phone.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Affirmative. AA has the option to play your music library on the phone through Google music. I have 20 GB of favorite music on my phone. AA plays it flawless. So why bother with Spotify? In my perspective AA eventually will rule out the need for local Nav or music in the car. Preferable all over 4G wifi yeah!

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok, old guy here with a new Ioniq. What's AA? I downloaded music from iTunes and put it on a USB drive in two different formats and it won't play in the USB port. Am I not holding my mouth right?

·
Registered
101 Posts
ok, old guy here with a new Ioniq. What's AA? I downloaded music from iTunes and put it on a USB drive in two different formats and it won't play in the USB port. Am I not holding my mouth right?
Anything you want to play or upload to the radio's media storage through the usb needs to be converted to .mp3 first.

Music loaded in iTunes native format is easistly played via carplay so one does not have to convert it first.

AA=Android Auto

Hope this helps;)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
That's really bad design tbh. How can one be expected to unplug USB drive each time for music n then plug it back in afterwards. Also this means one can't use both CarPlay n USB stick for music at the same time which is a shame and defies part of the purpose.

I agree going wireless for CarPlay/AA is the way to go....
ThTs exactly why I don't use CarPlay.. I connect my phone (connects iTunes and hands free) via Bluetooth and use a 128gig USB stick. Works well.

·
Registered
725 Posts
USB stick also needs to be formatted as fat32 or exfat? I believe

Which is no mean feat if you are using windows 10!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
725 Posts
Does it? I'm sure mine is NTFS

Dunno. In the manual it said it needs to be a flavour of FAT so that's what I did. And in searching for some software to actually donor because win 10 can't. Or rather you can via the cmd window but it takes literally forever that I found lots of people searching for the same because if their cars AV

Go out and check yours. I'm sure you must go outside to stroke it several times through the night :). Be useful to know! (About NTFS that is)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Windows 10 formats USB keys to FAT 32 pretty quickly on my system without having to go into cmd . Haven't tried NTFS on the Ioniq , though my last car also stated that only FAT would work for media but I played NTFS formatted files without a problem . I'll give it a try later.
Update ....Just tried it out and files will play on a key formatted to NTFS will also play FLAC files

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Thx for checking chunga.. I was pretty certain I hadn't used Fat anything in about 15 years lol

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Go out and check yours. I'm sure you must go outside to stroke it several times through the night :). Be useful to know! (About NTFS that is)
I would! If it wasn't so f*kin cold!!
I've only been back from hols in 35-40c for a week and feel like it's been a life time.. my tan is now longer a tan.. really hate the weather in this country :(

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
I would! If it wasn't so f*kin cold!!
I've only been back from hols in 35-40c for a week and feel like it's been a life time.. my tan is now longer a tan.. really hate the weather in this country :(
But the men are men ...especially in Wales ;)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Haha maybe in Wales.. I've dated one or two ;) but in England... it's slim pickings. Haha

·
Registered
11 Posts
Only the front port for media . The armrest USB is for charging only ...though I haven't tested it out ;)
U.S. Ioniq BLUE - no armrest USB port though there is a slot for it. USB port is in the console.
Owners manual says console USB is only for charging. I can find no other USB port, though the manual says there should be one, there is no picture of where it might be.

I have AA and it's slicker than spit, but I'd still like to play my USB music.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
U.S. Ioniq BLUE - no armrest USB port though there is a slot for it. USB port is in the console.
Owners manual says console USB is only for charging. I can find no other USB port, though the manual says there should be one, there is no picture of where it might be.

I have AA and it's slicker than spit, but I'd still like to play my USB music.

Any help is appreciated.
in my Ioniq premium here in the UK I have a USB socket in the arm rest for charging only and the USB in the console below the radio / media unit can br used to play USB music

perhaps put a USB stick with music on and see if the unit recognises it, worst case no, best case bingo :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts