Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 SE AWD
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2,500 miles of driving I first noticed a problem with my iPhone initiating Apple CarPlay. I'd plug the phone into the data port to the left of the 12V plug-in but CarPlay would not activate. At first it was intermittent now it seems permanent. Today I tried different USB to phone cables including Apple's. Still not working. Then I noticed the phone icon was indicating it was charging on and off every few seconds when plugged into the data port. This does not happen when plugged into the car's other USB ports or anything else. Seems like a problem with the USB data port.

I'm going to contact the dealer but wondered if this has come up elsewhere?

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD
793 Posts
Are you using a relatively new cable? Sounds like what has been reported on other forums as defective cable - apparently cables have a life expectancy and will fail intermittently or completely when reached. Or possibly a defective or loosely wired car socket.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Happens to me every once and a while if I unplug and plug in my wireless adapter a lot. I either have to turn the car off and wait a while for it to reset or I usually just put a paper clip in the reset button on the right side of the dash and that fixes it

·
Registered
309 Posts
Happens to me every once and a while if I unplug and plug in my wireless adapter a lot. I either have to turn the car off and wait a while for it to reset or I usually just put a paper clip in the reset button on the right side of the dash and that fixes it
Is there a reason you plug and unplug the adapter? Does the car still try to power it when off or something? (Just curious)

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 SE AWD
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you using a relatively new cable? Sounds like what has been reported on other forums as defective cable - apparently cables have a life expectancy and will fail intermittently or completely when reached. Or possibly a defective or loosely wired car socket.
I have tried several cables, including an Apple branded one, but not a brand new one.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 SE AWD
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try the system reset and see if that works. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There is a known defect with the USB port/internal cable, causing intermittent disconnect of Carplay and AA. Me personally and a few others here solved it by the dealer replacing this part. I sugest you go see you dealer.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD, Lucid Blue with Gray/White Interior
97 Posts
I have a wireless CPLAY2AIR in my I5. It has been intermittently working, and I thought it's the problem with the carplay adapter. I have the same model in my 2021 Palisade and never have a problem. It makes sense if the data USB port is a defect. It has to be a warranty replacement, right?

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is a known defect with the USB port/internal cable, causing intermittent disconnect of Carplay and AA. Me personally and a few others here solved it by the dealer replacing this part. I sugest you go see you dealer.
Does it actually disconnect for you completely or is it just audio cutting out? I have audio cut out randomly and assume it’s the adapter but am curious now

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 SE AWD
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that information. It was looking more and more likely to be a faulty USB port. I'll be following up our dealer.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 SE AWD
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does it actually disconnect for you completely or is it just audio cutting out? I have audio cut out randomly and assume it’s the adapter but am curious now
It does not connect at all. I then noticed that the charging indicator on the phone would repeatedly turn on and then off and then back on and then off....indicating a bad connection.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Completely disconnects AA, while charging remains on. sometime it will reconnect itself later on but mostly you need to disconnect and connect the cable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After 2,500 miles of driving I first noticed a problem with my iPhone initiating Apple CarPlay. I'd plug the phone into the data port to the left of the 12V plug-in but CarPlay would not activate. At first it was intermittent now it seems permanent. Today I tried different USB to phone cables including Apple's. Still not working. Then I noticed the phone icon was indicating it was charging on and off every few seconds when plugged into the data port. This does not happen when plugged into the car's other USB ports or anything else. Seems like a problem with the USB data port.

I'm going to contact the dealer but wondered if this has come up elsewhere?
Out of interest did you update the firmware recently? My CarPlay was working perfectly then updated to Feb 22 firmware and now it’s disconnecting every few minutes. Hyundai not massively helpful but for me at least it’s definitely a software issue not hardware. Happens often when I press a button on screen in CarPlay 🤷‍♂️

1 - 17 of 17 Posts