Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 IONIQ Electric Ultimate Iron Grey
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where does everyone run their USB cable and/or keep their phone while driving?

I like the Qi charger for storage and charging, but I need USB for CarPlay.

I removed a few of the panels and ran my cable under the console to keep it out of the way. Otherwise it’s hanging in the way and I have to mess with it every time I get in the car.

What have others done?

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I keep it on the wireless charging plate connected to usb (for Android Auto) with a very (about 10cm) short, flat cable

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use one of these.
It has two USB ports for charging and the voltage of the 12V Battery or the current DC to DC converter voltage.
I use Android Auto on the middle USB port, and can charge other devices if I need to.
usb-12v.jpg
usb-12v.jpg

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
My cable is a bit longer so I can pick up the handset to within close viewing distance if needed. I just let it dangle into my footwell when not in use - doesn't get in the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my province, there is a strict law against handheld devices, so once I get in the car my phone stays in the Qi charger. Although with the setup I posted above, I have enough extra cable that I can pull out to still use the phone plugged in while parked.

;D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Where does everyone run their USB cable and/or keep their phone while driving?

I like the Qi charger for storage and charging, but I need USB for CarPlay.

I removed a few of the panels and ran my cable under the console to keep it out of the way. Otherwise it’s hanging in the way and I have to mess with every time I get in the car.

What have others done?

View attachment 31986 View attachment 31987 View attachment 31988

Very smart.. did you drill a hole in the small panel??? was it difficult to set this up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very smart.. did you drill a hole in the small panel??? was it difficult to set this up?
The rubber mat pieces are held in by little plugs, so I just cut off one of the plugs and ran the wire through the hole. Easier to do that right now rather than accidentally drilling into something below the plastic. There are some wires run beneath there, and I couldn't figure out how to pull the whole console (and didn't really feel like it either). I did this on both the top and bottom pieces. I had fish tape to run down through the bottom of the console, but you could probably use a wire coat hanger or something too.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Ioniq Electric
18 Posts
I was super excited to get CarPlay finally only to realize it was inconvenient for short trips to plug my phone in, whereas instead my phone just connects automatically with Bluetooth and starts playing. Near the same functionality, but much more convenient. I’ll use CarPlay for long trips, and Bluetooth for short. It’s not what you were asking, but it’s my experience.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm going to buy one of these soon for the CarPlay USB port to make it wireless!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts