Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the Ioniq Hybrid is available in the US, we await the Ioniq Electric. I've been told by a Massachusetts dealer yesterday to look for the Electric version "mid to late April, likely May". I've also read rumors that the Ioniq Electric will only be available in California first & special order elsewhere (not sure how valid that is). Anyway, I wanted to kick off a thread to be on the lookout for Ioniq Electric arrivals, where they are available, and how much. Anyone hear anything from their dealers?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I checked with 2 different dealers here in Northern CA on the EV arrival and both say they can see nothing coming on their dealer portal. It's frustrating because they could see 6 weeks out on the hybrid and got that arrival date exactly right for Northern CA (March 6th). Thanks for starting this thread and I'll follow it for any news. I've got dibs on the first black limited with ultimate package! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've talked to several dealers in the Los Angeles area, one told me they expect the all electric variant ioniq within the coming week or two and it could be any day. Others told me just the general timeframe of the next month or two.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As I understand it from my research, any dealer salesperson who says "any day or week now" but who can not provide you a VIN to allow actual purchase of the car is just doing the typical dealer BS that is so common among ignorant folks who just want to say something they think you'll want to hear. From what I understand, the Hyundai dealer portal allows a tech literate dealer employee to see vehicles in the pipeline for many weeks ahead. At some point these enroute vehicles are listed with a VIN, perhaps when they first reach US soil? It's at that point that a US dealer can accept money on them. Anybody out there have knowledge to add on this?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Ioniq's homepage says the Electric is "coming this spring". Spring is March 20th to.... June 21st. I'm thinking it will be a long wait. Ugh.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm waiting patiently too. When communicating with my local dealerships I have to spell it out for them that I am only interested in the electric version of the car and not the hybrids. Otherwise they call you when all they have is a regular gas burning hybrid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, I often have to continue emphasizing the "all electric EV" model as dealers often tell me they have some in now to test drive(hybrids) or they tell me the plug in model will be available by the end of the year, they're probably thinking of the PHEV model.

Has there been any speculation about what the lease or subscription will cost for the EV? I'm either going to be getting the ioniq EV or the Chevy bolt in May, the bolt lease is about $370 if fully loaded. Of course the Ioniq is half the range, but I've read the Ioniq EV subscription may include no money down, unlimited miles, all service included... With everything the subscription is said to include it seems like the Ioniq might just be south of the Bolt lease at about $300, but that's just speculation. Has anybody heard any more about the EV subscription or lease?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Has there been any speculation about what the lease or subscription will cost for the EV? I'm either going to be getting the ioniq EV or the Chevy bolt in May, the bolt lease is about $370 if fully loaded. Of course the Ioniq is half the range, but I've read the Ioniq EV subscription may include no money down, unlimited miles, all service included... With everything the subscription is said to include it seems like the Ioniq might just be south of the Bolt lease at about $300, but that's just speculation. Has anybody heard any more about the EV subscription or lease?
The speculation is that the initial deliveries may only be offered on a subscription basis (single-pay, 24 or 36 months). I have no idea what the monthly fee will be, but since it's all-inclusive (unlimited mileage, electric charging costs, scheduled maintenance, wear items and all typical purchase fees such as registration), I bet it's well north of $400.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, I hope cousin Tim is reliable and not just making sh*t up about earth day being the big release. I talked with several more dealers and they are not being allowed any access to the Electric status on their dealer portal. But the Canadians are saying they are already on the docks in Vancouver so hopefully the same is true about the US destined ones already being at the Los Angeles docks.

Anybody in LA care to spy on the waterfront and report?!

·
Registered
81 Posts
At last week's media event in Durham, NC, Hyundai finally spilled the beans on when the US will get the Ioniq electric. The electric model will be launched this month in [you guessed it] CA only. However, they will be available in the other 9 ZEV states soon after, but only if you custom order one at your dealership. In other words, you're not going to see them on dealer lots as inventory. There is only one assembly plant in Korea that produces them for worldwide distribution, and they are at full production. So they are supply constrained. Here is an informative 17 minute video of the orientation at the Durham media event.

At 5:56 minutes into the first video, they show you the lightweight aluminum components, hood + hatch, [28 lb. savings] suspension control arms, front knuckles, brake calipers, rear carrier [22 lbs.], and eliminating the 12V battery for another 26 lbs. I also like how they don't use those silly oversize 18"-22" wheels like others do, which are heavy and hurt range. They use sensible and efficient lightweight 16" wheels that incidentally, make tire replacements much cheaper.

Here is the video of the question and answer part of the media event:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not in California. Not only does custom ordering sound like a long wait, but a terrible situation to negotiate a deal. Ugh.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
But if we can get the Unlimited deal, then no negotiations are required. What state are you in?
Massachusetts. I've never been a fan of leasing... I really want to own a car for long term & not consider my car a subscription service... but this "unlimited" subscription model might be worth it. Is there any pricing on the "unlimited" model?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Massachusetts. I've never been a fan of leasing... I really want to own a car for long term & not consider my car a subscription service... but this "unlimited" subscription model might be worth it. Is there any pricing on the "unlimited" model?
None yet, but the unlimited aspect of it is what I'm interested in. 10-k or even 12-k miles per year isn't enough for me. Plus I'm spoiled, because my current Fit EV lease is unlimited miles. I never want to have to not drive my car because it's getting too close to the mileage limit.

1 - 20 of 246 Posts