Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The doc is editable. Add as much information as you can. This will help potential buyers make informed decision.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10UD-qaEdmijs-KOkKRSWXXVKvwnFXrDuwrUjPk6w4pQ/edit?usp=sharing

I made a side by side comparison of both vehicles since specs and features of both have been released. I only made comparisons of the plugin versions because that's the vehicle I'm most interested in. You can add a column for Hybrid and EV for comparison if you want. Please note that both cars are US specs. If the information you're adding is from another region, please make a note of it. Thank.

Specs and features for both vehicles can be found here so you can double check my entries.
https://priuschat.com/threads/prius-prime-package-details-plus-premium-advanced.171863/
https://priuschat.com/threads/visual-tables-of-2017-prius-prime-package-combinations.171899/
http://www.multivu.com/players/Engl...cs/2017-hyundai-ioniq-features-1639177263.pdf
http://www.hyundainews.com/us/en/download/45087/file/docx
http://www.hyundainews.com/us/en/download/45088/file/docx

·
Registered
344 Posts
Holy moly, now this is great and crucial for potential buyers and even people that just want to know the differences for self knowledge. Thank you very much for all of this information !

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the detailed spec sheet. Admittedly, the Prius Prime does have more standard equipment than the Ioniq, but I just can't get over the fugly design.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Prime in comparison chart is the topped out trim level probably cost close to 40K. I personally prefer just a little bit out of the ordinary look. I really like the way the first gen Sonata hybrid looked. One look and you can tell it's not the regular Sonata. Ioniq looked too much like a regular car. I like the way Prius Prime look more than the regular Prius.

·
Registered
176 Posts
cproaudio - All I have seen are photographs of both the Ioniq and the Prius Prime. I'll have to agree with you that the Prime has an "out of the ordinary look."
We each have our own likes and dislikes .... and that is good, there are plenty of fine automobiles to choose from, but rather than "out of the ordinary," my preference is a vehicle the is attractive. Personally, I really dislike most of the front ends (from the Prime to the Lexus) that Toyota designers are providing in recent years. I very much dislike the Prime profile where the high point of the cabin has been moved forward, and I dislike the rear window with the compound dip in the center. Unusual yes, but not attractive.

I'm not sure if the Prime has the "urinal white" interior like the standard Prius, but if so, I do not find that attractive, and neither do most customers, because Toyota makes a plastic cover to fit over and hide the panel.

Lastly, I do not like what many people call the "floating roof" on the Prius.

So, my dislikes are mostly aesthetic .... from everything I have read, the Prius and the Prime are fantastically engineered vehicles. They are examples of a vehicle that has made a giant leap forward in the hybrid and plug-in venue. Personally, I will not purchase a copy, because I do not like the "out of the ordinary look."

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
the prime is slightly better than the prius, but still to ugly for me

the rear lights look ok, not a fan of the "WAVE" rear window, or the front > < style just looks too exagurated and not great

that great big touch screen looks a bit odd and not to my liking either

as to front ends I dislike the Kia "corporate" grill and front end is really not good in my mind, looks very angry and evil to me

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whaaaat?? You don't like the Predator mouth with Hulk Hogan mustache with Darth Vader helmet nav unit with Princess Leia hair bun vents and backwards baseball cap steering wheel along with the bathtub center console?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Toyota has released all the details on the Prius Prime today. I'll update the information as soon as I can. Hyundai is really lacking.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
have a look at the link to the manuals I posted

lots of stuff in there

even managed to find the starter / generator is belt driven (page 7-20 in manual) page 441 in the pdf, and needs changing at set intervals

HSG (Hybrid Starter & Generator) belt *5 Inspect every 15,000 km (10,000 miles) or 12 months,
and replace every 105,000 km (70,000 miles) or 48 months

those are for europe

also looks like the heater is a ceramic element so should work without ICE running

the list of fuses is quite enlightening

·
Registered
176 Posts
CPROAUDIO - Look forward to your update.

What do you mean "Hyundai is really lacking"?

The devil is in the details ... I'm really disappointed that the starter/generator is belt driven. My interest in Ioniq is not dead ..... but it is diminished.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I typed too fast. I meant to say that Hyundai is lagging on getting the information out to the public. Hybrid is still a niche market but it's becoming main stream. Putting information out to the public drums up attention and also let the public aware of other alternatives to main stream hybrids. Before the Prius PHEV ever hit the market, Toyota made prototypes available for the public to test and request suggestions and feed backs from them. Hyundai has done neither.

·
Registered
176 Posts
cproaudio - Exactly my thinking. I appreciate the clarification. Buying a new car is an enormous investment. I know that some buy a car on impulse, but I suspect most people study the market, read Consumer Report and other auto magazines, and finally visit the showroom.

I'm waiting anxiously for the magazines to do features on comparing the Prius and the Ioniq .... I think it would be very revealing. Base on specifications, ... in my judgment Prius has the edge. Based on appearance, Ioniq is the clear winner. Based on drivability .... i's not clear.

Hyundai is a very popular vehicle in my area. Based solely on my unscientific observations, Hyundai 4-door sedans outnumber Toyota 4 door sedans by a ratio of 6 out of 10. Several friends own Hyundai's and they all report satisfaction with heir rides. Having owned Toyota products, I also report excellent experience with the brand. Therefore, the test drive is going to be all important to me. I'm feeling that the Ioniq's appearance will trump a small specification advantage held by Prius .... and naturally cost will be a major factor.

Interestingly .... I had dismissed interest in the Prius Prime and the Ioniq plug-in. Now, I'm sensing a little more interest. The Prime is a significantly better looking car than the standard Prius, and the Ioniq plug-in appears no different than the standard in pictures .... which I like. Apparently the Prime qualifies for a substantial fed incentive ... I assume the Ioniq plus-in will also. Since I will not be making a purchase until spring ... it could all work out for me.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's the title holder for now but not for long. The Prius Prime is going to have a higher range. Where the Ioniq wins is in the looks department. The Prius is still ugly as ****.

And the BMW i3 is just not worth the money anymore.
What's funny is as ugly as the Prius looks it will still dominate and stand out because it stands out from the rest visually and that should play out well on paper with the numbers they produce which should be surprising since if your p
cproaudio - Exactly my thinking. I appreciate the clarification. Buying a new car is an enormous investment. I know that some buy a car on impulse, but I suspect most people study the market, read Consumer Report and other auto magazines, and finally visit the showroom.

I'm waiting anxiously for the magazines to do features on comparing the Prius and the Ioniq .... I think it would be very revealing. Base on specifications, ... in my judgment Prius has the edge. Based on appearance, Ioniq is the clear winner. Based on drivability .... i's not clear.

Hyundai is a very popular vehicle in my area. Based solely on my unscientific observations, Hyundai 4-door sedans outnumber Toyota 4 door sedans by a ratio of 6 out of 10. Several friends own Hyundai's and they all report satisfaction with heir rides. Having owned Toyota products, I also report excellent experience with the brand. Therefore, the test drive is going to be all important to me. I'm feeling that the Ioniq's appearance will trump a small specification advantage held by Prius .... and naturally cost will be a major factor.

Interestingly .... I had dismissed interest in the Prius Prime and the Ioniq plug-in. Now, I'm sensing a little more interest. The Prime is a significantly better looking car than the standard Prius, and the Ioniq plug-in appears no different than the standard in pictures .... which I like. Apparently the Prime qualifies for a substantial fed incentive ... I assume the Ioniq plus-in will also. Since I will not be making a purchase until spring ... it could all work out for me.

Assuming you`re a person that is conscious of the money spend on a car and the financial obligation, i'm the same way and have gone for Japanese brands in the past since they tend to hold value better over the long haul, decreasing your loss in the end. For me the Prius is still on the table. Maybe i'll end up finding you on a Prius forum ;)oducing a type of product for over a decade by now...you had time to perfect.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts