Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
end of the quarter,

now is that the "year quarter" which would mean end of September?

of some other quarter (tax year, UK is tax year starts april so end of quarter would then be end of October)

that sounds suspiciously like you will get the EV mid October , same time Europe will get the hybrid ad EV

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Hm... this is kind of a shot in the dark. Wouldn't keep this for concrete information

I agree , but it is the first bit of info hinting at US launch dates

now we need to get confirmation of the information to confirm or deny

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hyundaiusa says the BEV is "coming this fall". Fall begins September 22. The HEV, which is the one I'm interested in, is "coming this winter". Now, winter in the US begins December 21. The PHEV is "coming next summer".

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never got an answer back from the guy who posted this info, so I messaged the dealership with the same question.

I doubt I'll ever hear anything back from either one.

Furthermore, I REALLY doubt the end-of-this-quarter date for arrival in the showroom. I guess it's remotely possible, but color me skeptical.

If I hear anything back, I'll post it here.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
so "fall" runs from 21st sept to 21st dec

so there is a 3 month window for the arrival, I can't see it being to far from the EU dates

do any of your motoring mags have a section like in the UK with when new models are due to arrive?

might be worth a browse in the news agent?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bluecar1,

I'm not aware of any U.S. magazine that covers new car arrival dates. I've subscribed to both Car & Driver and Road & Track for decades, but I don't recall ever seeing such information in them, and certainly not down to the level of arrival week or day. It seems that websites are the current best source of information for on-sale dates.

I hope you're right that there won't be a long lag between EU and U.S. arrivals.

I met with a local Hyundai salesperson today and expressed my interest in the Ioniq. He said one of the best indicators of imminent arrival in the showroom is when the staff has to take on-line sales training for the model. He promised to let me know whenever the training starts, so we'll see if that happens.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got an answer back from Danbury Hyundai in Connecticut that says November is when "they" have been told the Ioniq will arrive, but there was no mention of a specific date during the month.

I consider that good enough information to start making some serious plans for later this year...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the answer I got yesterday from a Hyundai dealer in Albuquerque to my question about Ioniq arrival date:

"We don't have an exact date that the Ioniq will arrive. They are scheduled to hit the ground this fall. Hyundai is working to get them here by November; however, no specific date has been released as of yet."

November seems to be emerging as the consensus answer. But I suspect the rollout will occur at vastly different times across the country, depending on dealership size, sales records, allocations, local demographics, schmooze factors, transportation times, etc., but at least it's clear that the U.S. debut of the Ioniq IS getting close.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bluecar1,

Yeah, I hope it lives up to the hype, too. I'm trying not to develop unrealistic expectations. But really, if it's only HALF as good as I expect it to be, it'll still far-and-away top the new Prius in my eyes. I'm really spring-loaded to like the Ioniq A LOT!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bluecar1,

Thanks! You've scooped again. I don't know how you do it!

My expectation that the Ioniq will look great in Phoenix Orange is confirmed, and my excitement at hopefully being able to order one relatively soon has just ratcheted up another notch.

Thanks a lot. This is great stuff!

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
bluecar1,

Thanks! You've scooped again. I don't know how you do it!

My expectation that the Ioniq will look great in Phoenix Orange is confirmed, and my excitement at hopefully being able to order one relatively soon has just ratcheted up another notch.

Thanks a lot. This is great stuff!

lots of spare time, god of google and my own interest in the car, so I share what I find

now do you think I could get some commission from Hyundai for increasing interest in the Ioniq :) :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
lots of spare time, god of google and my own interest in the car, so I share what I find

now do you think I could get some commission from Hyundai for increasing interest in the Ioniq :) :)
You know what's funny is they give these to reviewers that don't know a thing or two about cars thinking that's who people want real information from, meanwhile it's guys like us that are in the trenches, getting real experience and have information potential owners will want. They should give you a free 2 year lease :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right on, bluecar1.

When I test-drove the Chevrolet Volt earlier this year, the first three that I tried, at three separate dealerships, were not charged. One of them showed ZERO POINT ZERO miles of electric range. It had NO charge whatsoever. It was like the battery wasn't even installed.

The most irritating thing is that I contacted one of these dealerships the day before, set up an appointment and specifically asked the salesperson to make sure the car was fully charged. When I arrived, the battery indicated nearly zero. I might as well have talked to the wall.

Also, one of the salespeople I talked to insisted--repeatedly--that the Volt has "250 miles" of electric range. It doesn't, of course. The rating is 53 miles. I tried to convince him of the facts, but I don't think he ever believed me.

I agree "we" enthusiasts know much more about cars than many of those Internet darlings who get loaners to review. But I guess we just don't have enough eyes and clicks on our pontifications, eh?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
You know what's funny is they give these to reviewers that don't know a thing or two about cars thinking that's who people want real information from, meanwhile it's guys like us that are in the trenches, getting real experience and have information potential owners will want. They should give you a free 2 year lease :D
thing is they compare them to top of the range cars like a merc CLK rather than similar, so they often compare apples to pears, rather than apples and apples

"they are slow", "they don't handle to well", "they are noisy", "you have to recharge them every hundred miles (if you drive it like Clarkson instead of how it should be driven)

what they don't take into consideration is many people compromise on a car and everyone looks for different things in a car,

some will accept a slight issue with ride or handling (as they don't push the cars to the limit) so long as the economy or performance is there,
other just like the design and nothing else matters
others like my wife so long as it is available in the right colour she would buy it

I get the feeling some of these so called "testers / journalists" look down their noses at cars that don't do 0-60 in less than 7 seconds, they can't power slide on the track and who's economy is measures in miles per gallon instead of gallons per mile. They just don't seem to live in the same world as the rest of us

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well, it's that and the fact these people often don't come from much automotive experience so in many areas they're lacking and it shows in the reviews hence why I said real owners provide real feedback... because they come from some history of cars that plays into the valuable feedback they share.

It's like trying to buy a computer from Wal-Mart... it's the last place you'll find someone on the service side that knows a thing or two beyond what's on paper staring them in the face.

AutoGuide is a good example of this....the following video provided NO value, I could get the same information from a brochure or Chrysler's Website. It's more like an ad than a review...

meanwhile someone like this comes around with not as many resources and crushes it...

1 - 20 of 193 Posts