Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! Anyone else in the US hoping to grab an early Ioniq?

I'm in Colorado and hoping to take advantage of the great state incentive we have here (currently $5000) on top of the federal credit on a pure EV Ioniq. I also have the deposit down on a Model 3, but as that could be 12 months (at minimum) away, the Ioniq seems like a great way to ditch ICE and go electric.

·
Registered
251 Posts
qpd, I'm in El Paso and plan to order a loaded Ioniq Hybrid in Phoenix Orange the instant it becomes available (well, okay, really after a test drive, but you get the idea).

Current Hyundai and other intel, with a fudge factor applied, indicate it'll probably be February/March at the earliest before they start to show up at U.S. dealerships.

Given the backwater nature of El Paso, and the overwhelming dominance of huge trucks and SUVs at dealers here, I fully expect to have to use a dealer in some other city. I'll go to whoever gets a Hybrid first in order to check it out. I've bought several vehicles in Denver over the years because local dealers just couldn't (or wouldn't) get what I wanted, so I'll probably have to do the same for an Ioniq.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you have any dates from a dealer for when the Ioniq will be available?
I've called around to a few dealers, and all in the state of Colorado said they will be receiving NO electric vehicles at all. Apparently the line from Hyundai is that "there aren't enough chargers per capita" to justify selling them here. The woman who told me that also said that she's blocked from ordering the EV model and so can't help me buy one.

Looking out of state, I called all up and down the California coast, and got everything from "1-2 months" to "middle of the year" to "huh?" (admittedly the clueless dealer was a miscall to a Kia dealer...).

Most are only just going through the training on the model, and none know anything about pricing. Their systems are not yet capable of seeing window stickers, even on units that are confirmed to be shipping to their dealerships.

For now I'm holding out and hoping that one of my contacts comes through in the February timeframe, but I won't be surprised if it's spring here before I can see one.

At least the range will be better...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been waiting for the launch of the Ioniq EV here in central New Jersey. It will be my first electric (or even hybrid) vehicle. Even went so far as to install a charger in my garage last month before the federal tax credit expired (pretty safe bet that the new administration is not going to renew that credit).

Went to a local dealer a couple of weekends ago to inquire about availability and release. The first two salesguys gave me blank stares and said "huh?" The manager working behind a sales floor desk told me "middle of 2018." Not a very helpful and motivated bunch...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Been waiting for the launch of the Ioniq EV here in central New Jersey. It will be my first electric (or even hybrid) vehicle. Even went so far as to install a charger in my garage last month before the federal tax credit expired (pretty safe bet that the new administration is not going to renew that credit).

Went to a local dealer a couple of weekends ago to inquire about availability and release. The first two salesguys gave me blank stares and said "huh?" The manager working behind a sales floor desk told me "middle of 2018." Not a very helpful and motivated bunch...
I'm not one bit surprised by the response you got from those dealership employee's, its rare to come across anyone that will give you even a shred of what you'll find here or any community.

The difference is we're passionate about it and they're not, only to the extent they HAVE to.

While you at it, audit that experience and make sure when the time comes that your buying from a dealer that actually cares.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I'm not one bit surprised by the response you got from those dealership employee's, its rare to come across anyone that will give you even a shred of what you'll find here or any community.

The difference is we're passionate about it and they're not, only to the extent they HAVE to.

While you at it, audit that experience and make sure when the time comes that your buying from a dealer that actually cares.
only thing reading all the comments so far from the US seems to be finding a US dealer who cares about selling what a customer wants rather than what they have already on the lot for maximum profit

·
Registered
251 Posts
bluecar1, I'd wager that the dealer strategy you mention of pushing what's on the lot to maximize profit probably works in the vast majority of cases. I'm sure it does around where I live, where virtually all dealerships have massive, gas-guzzling SUVs and pickup trucks lined up on their lots like cordwood and there are very few "regular" cars to be seen.

But I like to think those of us interested in the Ioniq operate on a higher plane...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts