Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

Upgrading infiniti sound system

22K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  SpongeRob 
#1 ·
Has anybody done any upgrades to the inifinity sound system? Is there an external amplifier installed from fractory? If so where?

I'm wanting to upgrade the speakers and possibly adding an amplifier. Been looking around a little in the car and found the woofer to be a dual coil 2ohm 8" thingy. I filled the plastic woofer box with nonwowen polyether etc but want to upgrade more really.

For me 3D printing adaptors, changing cabling etc is not a problem.

#2 ·
I'd stay well away from anything like that while the car is under warranty, can you imagine the conversation with Hyundai in your country if any electrical system fails? It'll be blamed on your adaptations and your warranty will be out of the window.

#6 ·
I can imagine you want to upgrade the Infinty system, it sounds bad.
There is an amplifier in the car as you can see in the following video:

Looking at the wiring loom in the video the amplifier should be close to the headunit.
Wow thanks! Great feedback!

The sound system is particularly bad. My '08 Acura TSX was the first car I left the stock stereo and speakers in. It was great, but it was totally acceptable and I never felt the need to replace it. And I'm a musician so that says something.

On my second drive in the Ioniq, I was like, "Wow that sounds awful. Probably need to tweak the settings." Nope. It's not tweak the tone knobs problem or lack of bass. The system is just terribly voiced. I suspect it is extremely sub par speakers rather than a poorly voiced amp (even mediocre amps are fairly transparent nowadays).

I would recommend replacing the speakers and leave everything else intact. That's my plan for next Spring/Summer.
Thanks! This is my plan. I do however not know which speakers are a good upgrade. My guess is that some speakers would be too heavy on the AMP. I mean there are 8" woofers that weigh 26lb without even trying...

I was looking at the Focal ISU 165 setup for front. Don't know if I would need to change the rear doors too. Do you have any setup you would think is a good upgrade that I can include to my list of stuff to investigate?

#5 · (Edited)
The sound system is particularly bad. My '08 Acura TSX was the first car I left the stock stereo and speakers in. It wasn't great, but it was totally acceptable and I never felt the need to replace it. And I'm a musician so that says something.

On my second drive in the Ioniq, I was like, "Wow that sounds awful. Probably need to tweak the settings." Nope. It's not tweak the tone knobs problem or lack of bass. The system is just terribly voiced. I suspect it is extremely sub par speakers rather than a poorly voiced amp (even mediocre amps are fairly transparent nowadays).

I would recommend replacing the speakers and leave everything else intact. That's my plan for next Spring/Summer.

#8 ·
I would actually start insulating the car and add sound deadening mats in the doors.
In my previous car I added bitumen mats in all doors over the entire surface and some sound absorption behind the woofers. I also added sound absorption under the carpet by the (front and back) wheels and in the trunk around the spare wheel. A lot of sound is coming from behind as well.

#9 ·
It's doable with the base model system over here in the US. And that's with us not having the standard 12v lead/acid battery...

I'd imagine there's a way to upgrade the factory infinity system as well. Not sure about replacing the amp, but you could tie in from the front or rear speaker wires either from the doors or directly behind the head unit most likely.

It's actually easy to get behind the head unit once you know how. Speakers should be easy to replace as long as they're the correct size/ohms. Subs definitely help this car out.

I've set mine up so if there's an issue I can pull the entire thing out in an hour or so and take it in to the dealership just incase they want to blame issues on that. I've had none so far though since this install.

Amp install in US spec Hyundai w/o 12v Battery (Base model system)

Reactions: dryland and KevinT
#11 ·
So I ordered speakers. I have no clue what so ever on what is the best fit but I opted to not go for the "Wallmart" speakers. I'm sure there are great branded speakers around, but these companies tent to change their line ups fairly often so very hard to find a proper review. I instead went for a brand called GAS and a level there that was not over the top. Their cheapest 8" woofer with 2x2ohm and a kit on black friday sale with what I hope descent mid range speakers, filters and tweeters. Even with a 50% black friday deal this turned out double the price from "Wallmart" kits. I will se if it works and if not they are capable of handling the proper of an external amp later on.

Fingers crossed, but it's a trail and error....

#13 ·
Boom! I need an AMP haha!!!

Made new adapters and got the speakers mounted. I'm happy to share the CAD files if someone wants to print their own adapters...

What a difference!! Surprisingly the tweeters stod out most. Think I need to mount the filters too and fit a proper AMP to power the speakers. Specially the woofer needs more oumpf.

Getting there though and it sounds so much cleaner now.

#14 ·
Boom! I need an AMP haha!!!

Made new adapters and got the speakers mounted. I'm happy to share the CAD files if someone wants to print their own adapters...

What a difference!! Surprisingly the tweeters stod out most. Think I need to mount the filters too and fit a proper AMP to power the speakers. Specially the woofer needs more oumpf.

Getting there though and it sounds so much cleaner now.

I wouldn't mind getting the files. You got them for the front and rear doors?

Also, what about the plug? I've always just cut them off and put my own connections on for the wires, but if you were able to do that it may be a good route to go.

Also, What size speakers did you end up going with? I'm thinking 6.75" in the fronts and 6.5" in the rears for my setup.

#16 ·
Nice work. If you make the holes radial slots, will that work? P.s. anyone can make their own STLs for printing, I use free s'ware OpenSCAD myself. Perfect for exactly this kind of mechanical object, not suited to artistry!

#17 ·
Yes, you can make your own parts and that is really key to like everything! I really don't like downloading parts that are often WAY from even close to good. Better make it from scratch and get it very close to 100%. Uploaded parts are sort of locked and not possible to change. This is why I try to be a step ahead sharing generic rings with no holes in them. It's a 5min operation to drill them after your speakers of choice. I also opt of for the radial holes as most printers found in your home does not have proper support material. Print them with 100% infill and just drill.... easy enough.

Best of all would be to just snag my idéas and make them better! Even though I'm fairly clever nothing is perfect. :)

#18 · (Edited)
Ha! in OpenSCAD you can import an existing STL (just drag & drop it into your text-master-file, it creates the import("..."); for you). You can then chop bits off, scale it, shear it,..., and add more, i.e. treat it as a single object just like the built-ins.

The graphics display tends to go bananas on the fast previews, but a full Render (F6) gets the right picture, but can be slow. But it generally works!

:edit, after reading next post! Draft angles, what are those? :) Never use them myself, as I'm printing the final items for sale, rather than producing moulds etc to be used for high-vol production later! But that's the beauty of 3D printing, so versatile. Love what I'm seeing here, apols for my thread-drift!

Reactions: KevinT
#19 ·
Ha! in OpenSCAD you can import an existing STL (just drag & drop it into your text-master-file, it creates the import("..."); for you). You can then chop bits off, scale it, shear it,..., and add more, i.e. treat it as a single object just like the built-ins.

The graphics display tends to go bananas on the fast previews, but a ful Render (F6) gets the right picture, bt can be slow. But it generally works!
So if you need to reduce the draft angles on my design to fit your printer.... hm... you are screwed. But what do I know, I only do this for a living :)

#20 ·
Amps showed up today. 4x80Watts for the front setup and 2x60W bridged for the Woofer. Not the most expensive stuff but still again not Walmart stuff. Will have a look at the stock amp setup and figure how to hook up to the audio input. Maybe I can snag the low level somewhere... we will se!

I'm sure they will fit in the inner under floor compartment in the boot

#21 ·
Amps showed up today. 4x80Watts for the front setup and 2x60W bridged for the Woofer. Not the most expensive stuff but still again not Walmart stuff. Will have a look at the stock amp setup and figure how to hook up to the audio input. Maybe I can snag the low level somewhere... we will se!

I'm sure they will fit in the inner under floor compartment in the boot

Might be able to mount/hide them under the dash somewhere. I know there's a bit of room under there. May be a bit more difficult than I'm thinking though. I know there's a wiring diagram out there for the head unit so you could pull the signal from the wiring there. However I'm not sure how your model would differ from the base model US one. :(

Thanks for the files. I'll have to have them printed locally as I don't have a printer. I had someone print the extended dust caps for the LED headlight conversion though, will probably use them again for these. Going on vacation next week so I'll order them when I'm back and post when I get them in. (y)

#22 ·
Was just asking for help to find the stock amp when I found this link Sites-INF-US-Site

Pictured in the rear right corner of the car. I went there to have a look and there it was. :) Easy task to snag the audio there. interesting to se if I can get low level there too. Else easy enough to snag the high level there.

Total volyme of my new setup is like 8times as big as the stock AMP....

#25 ·
No grill over that sub, was that to stop a rattle rattle rattle that went with your boom boom boom?

Reactions: Ayesha pass
#28 ·
That looks as if it does produce more bass than the standard "piece de kaka" (pardon my French). :cool:
Is it just me, or does the whole enclosue seem to move a bit as the woofer is pumping back and forth?
Looks so for sure. This is slowmo video in the middle so might be a video artefact too bit the power is way up and the boom box is fairly sturdy but no where close to the 22mm MDF boxes usually preferred.

Brings good punch any way.

#31 ·
Today I worked on my upgrade, I beefed up the subwoofer housing last month with some mass adding sheets for more punch and I added some wool. That didn't help, it just needed more power.
View attachment 33496 View attachment 33497
The amplifier is a compact and efficient class D mono amplifier which I simply connected through high level and it switches on and off automatically when receiving a signal.
Now there's a good amount of bass, it now sounds as should have from the factory.
View attachment 33498
In the end I'm pretty pleased with the end result, it won't get any better without swapping the speakers which I don't feel like.
Was this easy to do?
Did you just pull the high level connections off the sub and run a power cable from the 12v battery?

#30 ·
Wow, totally fascinated by this thread. Congrats to your Setup!
I recently switched cars from a F30 320d xdrive to a Hyundai Ioniq Electro (Facelift). My BMW had an Audio System X.200 BMW PLUS with a Audio System X75.4 installed after market. It sounded good.

I knew the "Infinity" sound system would sound worse. And in part, I'm okay with that. But what I really dislike are the tweeters. I listen to them and get the feeling that parts of what I'm hearing are simply missing in the back of my head. I have no other words to describe it.

I'm not very confident in fiddling around with it myself, but do you think I could just change the tweeters and end up with something better compared to what I have? (nothing compared to your setup, of course, but at least some decent highs? I'm fine with the bass as far as I am concerned.

Thanks,
David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.