Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone tried to update the firmware of Korean Ioniq Electric 2017 to European? I tried to insert the 32 Gigs FAT32 SD card with European navigation or firmware, it rejected both times. The original SD card is 16 Gigs, there are rumors that only this card is accepted, but there is no enough room to copy European firmware on it. I backed up the original Korean files, it is OK to restore them to the original SD card.
Are there any ideas? Maybe there are some Korean language speakers to help with official Hyundai communication? My local dealers can't help me.

Here are my current versions:
IMG_20191026_111249.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plugged Android Auto and ran Google and Waze navigation. Currently it can be considered as a solution but... Is there any way how to upload European firmware to Korean unit?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not saying this is the case with Ioniq, but I've seen many cases where the firmware includes a model signature that varies by location. A good example is 4G modems where there are differences also in the features available in different countries or continents. I suppose Ioniq checks the area code of the update and refuses it if it differs from the current one. If you knew where to look, you might be able to modify the update, but then you'd probably need to update any checksums etc. that the car would also verify. If there are any other differences than the firmware, you could of course also end up with a dysfuntional car. Reportedly it's possible to downgrade even blindly, but this all feels a bit scary to me, and I'm not stranger to hacking stuff.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think you are better off buying a used Europe SatNav system from ebay.co.uk for example. I think location and car type has been coded into the android OS and you will have to reflash the whole unit. Don't think this can be done with updates, and don't know where you could get the installation files you will need.
It might be possible to do it the hard way by opening up a euro version, desoldering the flash chip, reading it in a programmer and then writing the contents on the same chip in your unit but you still have to posses the euro version.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think location and car type has been coded into the android OS and you will have to reflash the whole unit.
It can be the one of the settings in the configuration files. Possibly, someone knows how to get access to the file system and modify the location ID to the European one.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi, Roman!
I don't know how it works with Hyundai, but I do work on navigation software for another car maker. In this other car maker, Asia and Europe use different navigation SDK (the core software that handles the database and displays the map). For Asia, it is from a Korean company and for Europe it is from another company (which hires lots of people from Ukraine, including Romans).

Although all cars have the same software installed, the navigation program at start checks which is the country of the car and then starts the appropriate navigation core based on that. So, the maps from Europe don't work on a car coded to be on an asian country.

All of this can be totally different for Hyundai. However, I do think that for Hyundai too the navigation core is different in Asia, because the graphics of the map look different. In general, in Asia it is a lot more detailed (you can see hills, many buildings, etc). If it was true for Hyundai that all cars had the same software, then it would be a matter of coding the country of the car. That operation would require special software and connecting to the car on some hidden plug. Only Hyundai experts or very advanced entusiasts would be able to help you. That's why your Hyundai dealer doesn't help you, maybe he doesn't know how to do that operation or is afraid of doing something wrong that could wreck your car.

If there are more similarities between Hyundai and the brand that I know, then replacing the Head Unit without going to the dealer is totally impossible. That's because each two advanced ECUs are connected through VPNs that have autentication. There are cryptographic certificates that must be installed and the VIN of the car must be programmed into each ECU as well.

Finally, note that the OS on the Head Unit is not Android, it's Linux. But setting the country of the car is for sure something more involved than changing a configuration file.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi migle,

Thank you for the so detailed answer. My current thoughts are pretty the same. Well, I managed to run Android Auto and can use it in the car, this solves the first problem. Now I focused on the firmware updating. I suspect that mine is not the latest, so I look for the opportunity how to upload the latest Korean firmware. Currently, no luck to find it on the net. I discovered some Korean software but it is impossible to translate it into English, the user's manual is made as an image, so you can't use Google Translate for this. So I'm stuck in updating.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Can't you use Google Translate phone app? It translates from the camera. You probably don't need to translate more than a few pages...

Regarding navigation, I agree with you, That's what Android Auto is for. Replacing a Head Unit that works with Android Auto doesn't make sense. I know it's probably a thorn in the side for you, but there are probably users who prefer Android Auto to the native navigation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts