Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did purchase the I5 (SEL) about 2 weeks ago. I test drove it twice, both times I felt the RWD and SEL trim were just perfect. Quick acceleration, quiet interior, handling seemed alright, comfy seats.

After having it for 2 weeks though, I feel like the car is just too big. Like I am in a minivan or something similar with just too much space around me to connect with the car? Not sure how else to describe it. I was driving a Gen 1 Volt before... loved that little car, but its battery started having issues so this was the best EV on the market that was readily available for me. I tried the polestar2 and the tesla and did not like either's ride/handling/suspension. They felt jerky/bouncy... the polestar especially felt like no matter how I touched the accelerator, it was always either too slow or TOO FAST, in an instance.

After having this car for a bit though, I really kinda wish I could have maybe gotten a Bolt EUV or maybe a Kona Electric (Not available in my state). Should I just give it more time? I love the look but not the feel of the car when I am inside. I almost feel like a goldfish in a huge aquarium, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited Lucid Blue/Gray
319 Posts
I've driven mini vans and a full size SUV rental just before getting this car and this car does not feel like those, but that's just me. Everyone is different. I would think you would have noticed this in your test drive, but if you don't feel good about it now and it bothers you that much, then do what you got to do to feel comfortable in a car you'll be using very often.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you don’t like it you should sell it. TBH almost every review said the car is much bigger than it looks and compared it to crossovers and SUVS.
They wernt kidding I guess. I didnt feel it when I test drove though... I guess I was caught up in the instrument panel and the acceleration to realize it. It truly is much bigger than even the person test driving it realizes I guess.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've driven mini vans and a full size SUV rental just before getting this car and this car does not feel like those, but that's just me. Everyone is different. I would think you would have noticed this in your test drive, but if you don't feel good about it now and it bothers you that much, then do what you got to do to feel comfortable in a car you'll be using very often.
I guess thats the closest thing I can compare the feeling to... despite not driving a minivan in a very long time. I remember the distinct feeling of "I am in this square but not connected to it" when I drove that minivan for a few months and this sorta brings that feeling back a bit. Im not sure if after driving the Volt (A much smaller car by comparison) for 11 years I've just kind of gotten used to a smaller cockpit like car? I would assume I would get accustomed to this as well, but not sure, and worried "what if i dont?"

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited Lucid Blue
15 Posts
I have a Bolt EUV, and honestly can't recommend it. I'll give you the pros and cons anyways though.

Pros
  • It's styled very well inside and out. It feels much more premium inside than the EV version, which looks very plasticy and cheap. The headlight assembly looks modern yet simple and is plenty bright.
  • Very energy efficient for being a "CUV" in normal conditions. In fair weather I usually get 4.0+ mi/kWh combined city/highway.
  • Has good features for the price. I have the 2LT with the perforated leather front ventilated seats, and they are useful in Texas summers. It has wireless Android Auto which seems hard to find even though it became a feature in AA in 2019?
  • Has the best 1-pedal driving I've ever used. I've test drove Mach-E, Ioniq 5, ID.4, and Model 3. It gives you the best control of deceleration at your fingertips (literally). Combining the 1 pedal with the paddle by the steering wheel, you can really fine tune your braking if you are good with your feet in both driving modes.
  • Decent low-end acceleration for being a FWD vehicle. Yes this is a benefit for all EVs, but I was still surprised how zippy this is for its' size.

Cons
  • A Toyota Corolla has a longer wheelbase. In fact, it's length is so short that when combined with the higher ride height than a regular Bolt, normal bumps bounce you back and forth in the seat uncomfortably. My wife finds the ride untolerable because of it.
  • It has lots of rear leg room, but sacrifices so much trunk space than it's a struggle to even grocery shop without having to collapse the rear seats. Cant fit a set of golf clubs back there either. The Bolt EV actually gets 0.3 cu.ft. more trunk space than the EUV.
  • It runs on a nearly decade old BEV platform. This is multiple cons in 1. This means the slowest DCFC on the market, low top speed (92mph), and risk of battery fires due to the recall because of the battery supplier (looking at you LG). Another issue with this is that the platform will be deprecated not long after Ultium officially releases. Good luck finding replacement parts in the next 10 years.
  • Winter range is abysmal, I mean even more than normal. You'd be lucky if you get 130 miles on a full charge at highway speeds (70-75mph) in freezing weather even with sparing use of the heater. The heater on this vehicle is horrendous in terms of energy required.
  • The Lane Keep Assist on it is a JOKE! It will keep you in the lane about 50% of the time you approach the edges of the lane. I honestly wish it would actually ping-pong between the lanes, but it doesn't even do that. Yes I do know it isn't lane-centering assist, which is only available on SuperCruise.
  • Only available in FWD. How can you advertise as a Compact SUV, and not even have AWD available as an option?
  • Seats are not as comfortable as others in the segment. They did improve them from years past by using harder foam, but I still find myself having to lift myself off the seat and adjust myself within less than an hour of a drive. I'm 6 feet tall and find myself a few inches too wide for the seats as well.
  • Wireless Android Auto is an inconvenience almost every drive I take. It's delayed when you press buttons, it takes forever to connect when turning on the car, sometimes I even have to reset the Bluetooth on my phone for it to recognize my phone, and it disconnects/reconnects for any person driving by with a wifi signal or toll booth infrastructure.
  • The recall is a huge pain to deal with. Either I have to get my range shrunk to 80% of its' advertised capacity, or I have to deal with tons of parking and charging restrictions. It's been really tough to deal with because of this since I live in an apartment.

Hope that helps you not regret the Ioniq 5 as much. I can't wait to get a Limited AWD in Lucid Blue after my buyback is completed because of the recall.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd give it more time. Part of it might be "new car"awkwardness. Also take some time to play with stuff, like seat height, so you don't feel so "above" the car.
Yea, I think you might be right... ive just had a long time in a much smaller car, and I think my perception needs time to change. I was kind of hoping someone here would chime in with "I felt the same way and now it feels great" to kind of give me something to look forward to, lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
For sure give it more time. If you have a family pack them in and go for a long drive. For me when I test drove the car I liked the roominess. Will fit my family of five and won’t get cramped liked my Mazda CX-5 now. See how you feel in a couple of months.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So I did purchase the I5 (SEL) about 2 weeks ago. I test drove it twice, both times I felt the RWD and SEL trim were just perfect. Quick acceleration, quiet interior, handling seemed alright, comfy seats.

After having it for 2 weeks though, I feel like the car is just too big. Like I am in a minivan or something similar with just too much space around me to connect with the car? Not sure how else to describe it. I was driving a Gen 1 Volt before... loved that little car, but its battery started having issues so this was the best EV on the market that was readily available for me. I tried the polestar2 and the tesla and did not like either's ride/handling/suspension. They felt jerky/bouncy... the polestar especially felt like no matter how I touched the accelerator, it was always either too slow or TOO FAST, in an instance.

After having this car for a bit though, I really kinda wish I could have maybe gotten a Bolt EUV or maybe a Kona Electric (Not available in my state). Should I just give it more time? I love the look but not the feel of the car when I am inside. I almost feel like a goldfish in a huge aquarium, if that makes sense.
What color interior did you get? Even without the sunroof, I find the light interior feels very airy, especially with the open floor across the front, large windows, and air space between the cup holders and the center arm rest. In other words, the design might make it feel like the interior belongs to a larger vehicle. From what I see in video and pictures, it seems the EV6 has a more cockpit-like design to it, with a more substantial center console and screens that curve inward, probably reducing some of the airy feel from the Ioniq 5. Not to mention darker colors.

To answer your question though, from my perspective it is not too large at all. It's a good size, but given the choice, I wouldn't mind it larger by another 8-10%.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For sure give it more time. If you have a family pack them in and go for a long drive. For me when I test drove the car I liked the roominess. Will fit my family of five and won’t get cramped liked my Mazda CX-5 now. See how you feel in a couple of months.
I havnt put the family in there yet (well, family of 1 kid and 1 wife, lol). Maybe a few trips with everyone in there will make me feel like the room is needed.. right now its just lonely me driving to and from work.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I’m used to the size of my Prius, so the IONIQ 5 seems a bit big to me. I plan on test driving one anyway. The revamped 2023 Kia Niro EV is probably a better fit for me, but specs haven’t been released yet, and I imagine it could be 6-9 months before that EV comes to the U.S.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I havnt put the family in there yet (well, family of 1 kid and 1 wife, lol). Maybe a few trips with everyone in there will make me feel like the room is needed.. right now its just lonely me driving to and from work.
It you introduce more kid(s) into your family u don’t have to say you need a bigger car..😊
Don’t worry the car will grow on you. Give it time you will wonder why you thought it was too big in the first place. Enjoy your car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m used to the size of my Prius, so the IONIQ 5 seems a bit big to me. I plan on test driving one anyway. The revamped 2023 Kia Niro EV is probably a better fit for me, but specs haven’t been released yet, and I imagine it could be 6-9 months before that EV comes to the U.S.
I was definitely interested in the 2023 Kia Niro EV and also in what the Kona will become or turn into under the ioniq brand... but with my volt dieing, I couldnt wait the year to find out. Those sizes are probably closer to what I needed though is my guess.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It's not just you.

I test drove (3 times) the Ioniq 5 then would step back into my much nimbler RAV4 Prime and wonder why I needed the Ioniq 5.

I just bought a Model Y yesterday (Tesla forced me to accept delivery or they'd cancel it) and I have same opinion about it as I do the Ioniq 5. Both the Ioniq 5 and Y have mediocre turning radii and are really heavy. I could not put my finger on why I was a tad underwhelmed by my test drives (except maybe the Limited).

I drive my RAV4 Prime like a hothatch and it's very nimble in EV mode. It's probably 400+ lb lighter than the Y and Ioniq 5. I can toss it around a parking lot whereas I could/would not do that with the Ioniq 5 (or Y).

My favorite EVs are the lighter ones. I love the Model 3 Standard Range and the Mach-E RWD Standard Range. I test drove the 2022 Niro EV and that was a blast. It's a tiny little beater with loads of power. Definitely not a smooth ride but I can see why folks like them so much.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's not just you.

I test drove (3 times) the Ioniq 5 then would step back into my much nimbler RAV4 Prime and wonder why I needed the Ioniq 5.

I just bought a Model Y yesterday (Tesla forced me to accept delivery or they'd cancel it) and I have same opinion about it as I do the Ioniq 5. Both the Ioniq 5 and Y have mediocre turning radii and are really heavy. I could not put my finger on why I was a tad underwhelmed by my test drives (except maybe the Limited).

I drive my RAV4 Prime like a hothatch and it's very nimble in EV mode. It's probably 400+ lb lighter than the Y and Ioniq 5. I can toss it around a parking lot whereas I could/would not do that with the Ioniq 5 (or Y).

My favorite EVs are the lighter ones. I love the Model 3 Standard Range and the Mach-E RWD Standard Range. I test drove the 2022 Niro EV and that was a blast. It's a tiny little beater with loads of power. Definitely not a smooth ride but I can see why folks like them so much.
Ahhh, yes this does resonate with me. Ive never driven the Rav4 Prime but Ive heard it has plenty of power in EV mode. Was tempted to purchase that, but the markups were worse than the Ioniq5 and availability was worse (if you can believe it). I was tempted to get the M3, but the ride quality felt a little rough and the ride felt a little jerky. The Mach-E I've never had a chance to test drive... so cant say. I drove a Niro PHEV and was underwhelmed, but I have heard the EV version is very nice in how it handles, although braking seemed to be weak as well as regen is wonky.

I almost wish my car has lasted until 2023 so I can see that 2023kia Niro... or maybe a bolt EUV or a Kona electric. Something on the smaller side that handles really well and doesnt feel as gigantic in comparison. Getting into parking spots in this compared to my Volt is rough.... guess im just not used to it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ahhh, yes this does resonate with me. Ive never driven the Rav4 Prime but Ive heard it has plenty of power in EV mode. Was tempted to purchase that, but the markups were worse than the Ioniq5 and availability was worse (if you can believe it). I was tempted to get the M3, but the ride quality felt a little rough and the ride felt a little jerky. The Mach-E I've never had a chance to test drive... so cant say. I drove a Niro PHEV and was underwhelmed, but I have heard the EV version is very nice in how it handles, although braking seemed to be weak as well as regen is wonky.

I almost wish my car has lasted until 2023 so I can see that 2023kia Niro... or maybe a bolt EUV or a Kona electric. Something on the smaller side that handles really well and doesnt feel as gigantic in comparison. Getting into parking spots in this compared to my Volt is rough.... guess im just not used to it.
The Ioniq has a large-ish turning radius (known issue discussed here) and a long wheel base. It will always be a handful in dense parking lots. The weight just makes it feel more like a limo too.

Oh I know all about RAV4 Prime availability. Took me 4 months to find one without crazy markup... in the meantime I ended up owning an ID.4, Model Y, and Mach-E! Lol. And strangely I love it more than the EVs I've owned. It's quiet and comfortable in EV mode like the ID.4. It has 300hp in EV/gas mode with a 0 to 60 in 5.7 second. To this day I am surprised at the passing power on the highway. More importantly it handles like a compact SUV rather than luxury sedan. I probably won't keep my Y long-term because of the same problems I had with the Ioniq 5.

I suspect you would love the Niro EV. It's small and nimble. Honestly, take a look at the Mach-E Select or Premium Standard Range. The Mach-E handles really well in small spaces and is only a notch smaller than the Ioniq 5. The only reason I traded the Mach-E away was because the range is low 200s (miles). I suspect I would not like the Extended Range with the extra weight.

Anyhow, the Ioniq 5 should hold it's resale value up for the current year. If you wanted a Niro EV, I suspect you could trade it in or selling it with no loss.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL AWD
112 Posts
Ahhh, yes this does resonate with me. Ive never driven the Rav4 Prime but I've heard it has plenty of power in EV mode. Was tempted to purchase that, but the markups were worse than the Ioniq5 and availability was worse (if you can believe it). I was tempted to get the M3, but the ride quality felt a little rough and the ride felt a little jerky. The Mach-E I've never had a chance to test drive... so cant say. I drove a Niro PHEV and was underwhelmed, but I have heard the EV version is very nice in how it handles, although braking seemed to be weak as well as regen is wonky.

I totally get what you are saying. I, too came to the Ioniq 5 from much smaller cars-a Gen I Volt, a Gen II Volt and then a Bolt. I get what you are saying about not feeling "a part of" the I-5. It is so large inside and the interior doesn't wrap around you like those other cars, and I think that's exactly the feeling that the designers were going for. If you look at the EV-6, which is the same platform and actually even a little longer, it incorporates the driver into the interior and kinds of wraps around them. The I-5 is more like sitting in your living room. The only thing I can say is that I have gotten used to it a bit more and I like the relaxed feeling, especially on long trips. But I totally understand the feeling you were referring to.

·
Registered
2022 ioniq 5 SEL AWD Shooting Star
28 Posts
I'd give it some time. I came from an e-Golf and you're right the i5 seems large in parking lots and when on small roads but I am noticing that I'm adapting to it better each day. Feels really good on the highway and freeway. The room is essential for how I use the car, so I'm motivated to adapt.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts