Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I got back a couple of days ago from a 3200 mile drive from Hampshire (UK) to Serbia to visit her family. We spent a week in Croatia on the way to relax prior to the serious business of visiting the in-laws!

My HEV Ioniq behaved impeccably. We had the rear seats folded down and carried at least the weight of 2 adults in luggage.

For most of the journey I had cruise control set to between 70 and 75mph, but used sport mode and much higher speeds a few times to get us out of trouble. Combined with the lane keep assist, the adaptive cruise control made for a very relaxed and safe 6 days of driving.

I was more than pleased with the overall consumption of 70.7 mpg. (Indicated was 72.5 mpg). This was way better than the other cars we have done this journey in over the years (albeit at a more leisurely pace) and dispelled a slight concern I had that most of the journey would be done on ICE due to the long periods at fairly high speeds.

The only worrying problem I encountered was when we went to leave home, the car was completely dead. While the wife went into panic mode, I got the handbook out and discovered that leaving the doors and boot open for a long time whilst loading the car (interior and boot lights on) had forced the car to protect the battery from draining. A press of the battery reset button and we were on our way. One to remember in the future.

I saw a grand total of 2 other Ioniqs in the 3 weeks we were away. One in Munich and one towards Bonn.

At one stage we drove up a very long and steep hill in Austria. The engine and motor were working flat out. The battery indicator got down to two bars by the time we reached the summit. Does anybody know if the battery would have drained completely and if so, could the engine alone have coped?

The upside of this was that we then drove downhill for maybe 15 miles. The battery indicator went to full and the “distance to next fill up” remained at the same figure for a satisfyingly long time!

I’m now even more convinced I made the right choice. The Ioniq is very comfortable, practical, economical, reliable and a pure pleasure to drive.

·
Super Moderator
1,827 Posts
The battery indicator got down to two bars by the time we reached the summit. Does anybody know if the battery would have drained completely and if so, could the engine alone have coped?
Mine has often gone to two bars on hills, never seen it go lower . Probably some software to prevent that happening :)

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The only worrying problem I encountered was when we went to leave home, the car was completely dead. While the wife went into panic mode, I got the handbook out and discovered that leaving the doors and boot open for a long time whilst loading the car (interior and boot lights on) had forced the car to protect the battery from draining. A press of the battery reset button and we were on our way. One to remember in the future.
Congratulations on such a nice trip.

That battery reset button is a handy feature on the Ioniqs equipped with them. Saves messing with battery connections for a boost; or waiting for AA (or AAA or CAA or equivalent) to do it for you. I've used it on mine just once; left something on overnight as it was dead when I was wanting to leave for work in the morning. But a quick press of reset button, then the ignition and finally making sure to leave the ignition on for at least 30 minutes (my work is only a 10 minute drive, so I sat an extra 20 minutes in the parking lot upon arrival; my work hours are very flexible) and I was good without a problem since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts