Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
That would depend on several factors including the level of "moral" responsibilty the user (me in this case) adopts. I was eating in the pub in whose car park the charger is located. I wasn't "hoping" anything. I chose a table in sight of my car. I kept a watching eye on the charger and on the SOC via my phone. Had someone turned up, I would have released it once I got to 80%. On this occasion, that did not happen. Hence it would have been totally futile me getting up from my meal and disconnecting, and nothing more or less than a time waster. I would, however, have done so after 90 minutes regardless as this charger carries an overstay penalty. On this occasion, it got to 100% within that period, and we were done eating after about 80 minutes.

But that's me. I have little doubt there are many out there who would not have had similar consideration.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We've had our 38kw now for approaching a couple of months and have recently taken the car on longer trips and have tried out Rapid charging for the 1st time. The 1st and 2nd time we used GeniePoint at Morrison's supermarket so that we could have a bite to eat while the car juiced up. The 1st time the car only charged to 80% then stopped, I thought that it was just a glitch however when it happened the 2nd time too I called GeniePoint who advised me that their charges only charge to 80% to protect the battery. Thinking that this was something that only GeniePoint did, on a later trip I tried Rapid charging with Ecotricity, only for that to stop at 80% too. So my question is (with a long drive to London coming up this weekend), do any of the Rapid charging companies charge to 100%? I've read mixed reports re the impact of charging the battery to 100% and I've only got the car on a 2 year lease so I'm not worried about battery degradation, but only being able to charge to 80% will mean needing to stop twice to get to London but only once if I can use a Rapid charger that'll charge to 100%.

Thanks in advance.

G (Fluidic Metal 38kw)
I think that it is all to do with what the charging company set the chargers to. In Australia they all seem to be set to cut off at 95% max when DC charging.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I think that it is all to do with what the charging company set the chargers to. In Australia they all seem to be set to cut off at 95% max when DC charging.
Just a note on terminology: Rapid Charging is not Fast Charging.

L3 or DC charging is called "Fast Charging" or DCFC and will never charge to 100%. The vehicle will limit the max SoC, often to between 80% and 95%.

L2 or 240V AC charging is called "Rapid Charging" and can go to 100%, if the supplier allows it. Usually they do, since vehicles don't throttle the speed at high SoC percentages like they do on Fast Chargers.

·
Registered
424 Posts

L3 or DC charging is called "Fast Charging" or DCFC and will never charge to 100%. The vehicle will limit the max SoC, often to between 80% and 95%.
Maybe in Canada, but in U.K. I have plugged into 50kw DC charger and it does go to 100%

·
Registered
49 Posts

L2 or 240V AC charging is called "Rapid Charging" and can go to 100%, if the supplier allows it. Usually they do, since vehicles don't throttle the speed at high SoC percentages like they do on Fast Chargers.
I can't speak for Canada, but here in the UK, accepted terminology is
"Fast" = AC 7/22 kW (1- and 3- phase respectively, the latter of use only where the car is so equipped)
"Rapid" = DC 50+kW. (and includes AC 43kW where available and the car is so equipped)
See What is fast charging? What is rapid charging?
And my Ioniq 38 most certainly will charge up to 100% on a 50kW DC "rapid", if that's how I have it configured (and assuming the charger itself isn't configured otherwise).

21 - 25 of 25 Posts