Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our 38kw now for approaching a couple of months and have recently taken the car on longer trips and have tried out Rapid charging for the 1st time. The 1st and 2nd time we used GeniePoint at Morrison's supermarket so that we could have a bite to eat while the car juiced up. The 1st time the car only charged to 80% then stopped, I thought that it was just a glitch however when it happened the 2nd time too I called GeniePoint who advised me that their charges only charge to 80% to protect the battery. Thinking that this was something that only GeniePoint did, on a later trip I tried Rapid charging with Ecotricity, only for that to stop at 80% too. So my question is (with a long drive to London coming up this weekend), do any of the Rapid charging companies charge to 100%? I've read mixed reports re the impact of charging the battery to 100% and I've only got the car on a 2 year lease so I'm not worried about battery degradation, but only being able to charge to 80% will mean needing to stop twice to get to London but only once if I can use a Rapid charger that'll charge to 100%.

Thanks in advance.

G (Fluidic Metal 38kw)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Via the dashboard you are able to set an upper charging limit for AC & DC Chargers - could be your DC Charger limit is set at 80%
Already checked and it's set to 100%, GeniePoint confirmed the restriction to 80% was at their end not with the car.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Unless you have really long stops or an overnight, you are not going to want to charge over 80% anyway. Charging rates/speed really drop over 80%.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless you have really long stops or an overnight, you are not going to want to charge over 80% anyway. Charging rates/speed really drop over 80%.
Thanks.....but that doesn't answer my question

·
Registered
424 Posts
used polar got to 80% then charge slows right down, after another 20 mins up to 88%, girl in nissan waiting for charger so knocked it off then and let her have charger!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can’t answer about the 38 but the 28 will cut off at circa 93%.
It’s in the cars programming and can’t be altered and is to protect the battery regardless of what the user wants to do.
If you MUST charge to 100%, disconnect the rapid when it cuts off and then move over to an AC charger. As previously stated above, Rapids slow significantly above 80% so an AC charger will be just as quick at this state of charge.
Good luck.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The 28 kWh battery can only Fast Charge to 94%. The 38 kWh battery can only Fast Charge to 90%. Note, charge rate drastically drops after 80% for the 28 kWh model and at about 65% for the 38 kWh version, which generally makes eking out that last little bit, detrimental to total trip time.

On the MT2020, the charge manual charge limiter can be set lower than the max. Additionally, some networks may also terminate charging at 80%. They'll say it's for the battery but it's really because of the drastic tapering of charge rate which means the charger is blocked by a user "slow" charging.

·
Registered
98 Posts
As most rapids have 3 connectors, are you not just better off moving to the type 2 once it cuts off? Obviously the car will only take 7kwh but that would be all temhe rapid would give at that speed?
I'm assuming you can use a 22kwh or 43 kWh point though on an Ioniq?

·
Registered
424 Posts
As most rapids have 3 connectors, are you not just better off moving to the type 2 once it cuts off? Obviously the car will only take 7kwh but that would be all temhe rapid would give at that speed?
I'm assuming you can use a 22kwh or 43 kWh point though on an Ioniq?
yes we can use 22 and 43kwh chargers, but car will restrict to 7kwh

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Answering my own question, Polar allow a 100% rapid charge, used them a couple of times over the weekend, didn't seem to reduce charge speed much between 80 and 100% either which was good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That’s very strange as it’s not the supplier that tells the car it has a max 93/94% fill rate on the Rapid, it’s the cars BMS.

at least you’ve got your 100% though. ??

·
Registered
49 Posts
For the first time today, I had my 38 plugged in to a Polar rapid unit for a bit over an hour (because we were having lunch in the adjacent pub, and there were no other comers, so I left it) and it went from 50% SOC to 100% SOC with no issues (beyond reducing charge speed, which is to be expected). I have it set to target 100% (which is as delivered, and I havent been bothered to alter it) and it did so.

On this basis I have to suggest it's not the car that stopped the charge described in the OP - unless @269 has their car set to target a lesser % SOC or unless GeniePoint have their units configured to cut out if/once the car draws less than a threshold power level.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That’s very strange as it’s not the supplier that tells the car it has a max 93/94% fill rate on the Rapid, it’s the cars BMS.

at least you’ve got your 100% though. ??
It is the supplier who restricted to 80% as GeniePoint told me this when I called them, and my car itself is set to charge to 100% and I have been successful in getting a full charge twice now from Polar, but GeniePoint and Ecotricity limit to 80 in my experience (think I might have managed to charge to 100 using Instavolt too some time back).

·
Registered
37 Posts
The charge slow down after 80% on rapid charge. Most rapitd charger limit you to 80% so you don't hold up charger. The last 20% is at around 14 or less kWh so could take another hour to 100%. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did a rapid charge on a Polar 50Kw yesterday. 33-100%. The charge rate was down to 6kw for the last few percent so not forcing charge into the battery at a high rate. It is not a busy charger and I was available if anyone else wanted to charge.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bjorn videos over the years have developed a strategy of using the inherent way that batteries charge faster from a low charge and much slower when at a high state of charge. On road trips he plans to get down to 20% before stopping and leaves when the rate of charge tapers off. The logic being that staying an extra 45 minutes to get from 85% to 100% is a waste of time as it is far more efficient to stop a second time and use that same 45 minutes to get a lot more charge in the car for the next leg. Meaning that if a journey would need another 100% it is far quicker to load that in two visits of 50% each.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes - if the stop is for refuelling only. But if it parallels some other activity (like, having lunch) then it is equally pointless not charging (provided, of course, there isn't a Q of others wanting to use the charger). And so doing (as long as it isn't a separate time penalty) will, of course, get you further before you need to stop again. In my case (post #14) it let me finish the outward trip and then get all the way back home without a break.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes - if the stop is for refuelling only. But if it parallels some other activity (like, having lunch) then it is equally pointless not charging (provided, of course, there isn't a Q of others wanting to use the charger).
You have just said it yourself. Planning to stay for 90 minutes whilst eating - hoping that no-one else will show up halfway through that meal - is not a great EV strategy. Both on efficient charging grounds and EV etiquette. I understand your point fully of course but as a plan for a journey it hints at a selfish attitude in these early days of scarce Rapid resources. If a round trip journey requires 2 x full battery capacity its better to plan two stops rather than one long one even if this spoils a mid-trip banquet meal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts