Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon everyone, so I’m currently in the process of pricing up and ordering a home charger for the driveway. There are that many companies out there (pod point, EO, Rolec etc) that I’m struggling to pin one down.

In your experiences, has anyone got a charger that they would go to every time or one to avoid as home charging goes?

Only had my Ioniq a few weeks now so still quite new to the home charging game so please excuse me not knowing an awful lot about these companies or their products.

Thanks in advance as always,
JD

·
Registered
787 Posts
Afternoon everyone, so I’m currently in the process of pricing up and ordering a home charger for the driveway. There are that many companies out there (pod point, EO, Rolec etc) that I’m struggling to pin one down.

In your experiences, has anyone got a charger that they would go to every time or one to avoid as home charging goes?

Only had my Ioniq a few weeks now so still quite new to the home charging game so please excuse me not knowing an awful lot about these companies or their products.

JD

I have a Rolec which has given faultless service for a year now.

However, IMHO at least as important considerations as the make of charger are the details of what is included.

I chose to have a tethered cable as this means there is no faffing around with the cable provided with the car and makes using the charger equivelent to removing the dispenser from a petrol pump and sticking it in the tank.
I chose to have a selector to enable a choice of charging currents (6 ,13, 16 and 32 amp). This in conjunction with my choice of a timer on the charger means I can choose when and how long to charge for at the selected current to achieve the % charge I require. I know the time can also be scheduled in the car, but having a timer is easier.
If you have or are considering PV then have a look at the Zappi (https://myenergi.uk/) as it is perfect for this scenario.;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

JD

I have a Rolec which has given faultless service for a year now.

However, IMHO at least as important considerations as the make of charger are the details of what is included.

I chose to have a tethered cable as this means there is no faffing around with the cable provided with the car and makes using the charger equivelent to removing the dispenser from a petrol pump and sticking it in the tank.
I chose to have a selector to enable a choice of charging currents (6 ,13, 16 and 32 amp). This in conjunction with my choice of a timer on the charger means I can choose when and how long to charge for at the selected current to achieve the % charge I require. I know the time can also be scheduled in the car, but having a timer is easier.
If you have or are considering PV then have a look at the Zappi (https://myenergi.uk/) as it is perfect for this scenario./forum/images/IoniqForum/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
Thanks for your thoughts. I’m still weighing up tethered vs untethered as I’m already thinking down the line as to what connectors future EV’s might have so I’m slightly leaning towards untethered.....at the moment.

Is your Rolec charger WiFi or app enabled at all? It’s something that the chargemaster ones seem to be boasting at the moment.

JD

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts. I’m still weighing up tethered vs untethered as I’m already thinking down the line as to what connectors future EV’s might have so I’m slightly leaning towards untethered.....at the moment.

Is your Rolec charger WiFi or app enabled at all? It’s something that the chargemaster ones seem to be boasting at the moment.

JD

Personally I would soon get tired of fishing the cable out the back of the car and fitting it before I could start charging, and then have to repeat the process when I wanted to use the car. I can't think of a future change that would mean an un-tethered worked where a tethered wouldn't.
No I don;t have Wi-Fi or an app. At the time of purchase I didn't think the extra cost was worthwhile for what it offered. Also I saw it as another possible failure point, preferring to stick to basic mechanical timer and physical switches. Of course Wi-Fi has moved forward in the last year or so.;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
In theory the untethered version SHOULD be cheaper, by the cost of the cable, against which you have the effort of getting the cable out of the car and then back in afterwards.

I have just had a Zappi (myenergi) installed, which is tethered though the next version will have a untethered version. One advantage is that it has the ability to use power from the solar PV, given that there is enough power in the summer. Basically, it has 3 settings :

FAST to get from the PV and as much as it needs from the mains to match the maximum power that the car will take
ECO to get from the PV and then use the mains to get to the minimum power that the car will take, 1.4 KW for my PHEV
ECO+ is designed to use the PV as much as possible and avoid using the mains as far as possible, and stop charging if the house is using to much power.

Note that there is a minimum limit of 1.4 KW on the power you can supply.

The next version, due in the next few weeks, should eliminate the need for a separate earth circuit, so in theory cheaper to install but I suspect not, depending on your installer. The current version does not have a WiFi but does connect to other myenergi devices. There a Hub, due out this month, to install in the house and provide WiFi, software updates etc. through your home router.

Also, check the prices from a few installers. The Zappi cost is in the £495-£529 range and the Hub is £80, VAT included. My first quote for installation for £1500+ so I got another one at £834. Had it installed and got an invoice for £334, so basically the OLEV grant paid for the Zappi and I paid for the install.

Check the version that you will need to match your EV. The OLEV grant is based on your ability to park your car on your own property, and you can check it out on the Government website.

·
Registered
525 Posts
We have an Ioniq Electic and an Outlander PHEV. We have one Zappi in the garage and another on the side of the house.
One is type 1 and the other type 2, both tethered.
If we need to charge on the wrong charger I have converters for both.
There is a Zappi internet hub and app being released at the end of Feb
I’d recommend them if you have or are considering solar panels
Their customer support is first class.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have pod point mainly because I didn't know any better and it was part of the deal on purchase.

Having said that I am quite satisfied with it and see no need to change. (after sales support has been excellent which plenty of data from their app) I would definitely go tethered as it is so much more convenient when it is wet/dark/cold and there is not a cable to repack. Should it become necessary to get a cable to a different standard I'm sure the cost would be relatively small and in the meantime it is so much more convenient.

I'm sure there were several threads on this subject about 18 months ago so could be worth doing a search.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have pod point mainly because I didn't know any better and it was part of the deal on purchase.

Having said that I am quite satisfied with it and see no need to change. (after sales support has been excellent which plenty of data from their app) I would definitely go tethered as it is so much more convenient when it is wet/dark/cold and there is not a cable to repack. Should it become necessary to get a cable to a different standard I'm sure the cost would be relatively small and in the meantime it is so much more convenient.

I'm sure there were several threads on this subject about 18 months ago so could be worth doing a search.
I have to agree. I too got the Pod-point as it was in the deal. I went for tethered for exactly the reason you stated. I couldn't imagine getting the cable out, plugging in both ends and then doing the same in reverse when charged. It would probably mean me not being bothered to charge my PHEV every night.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great points on the convenience of tethered and I guess keeping the spare type 2 in the boot of the car for when it’s needed out and about.

I did look at Zappi but as it stands we do not have any means of generating of our electric right now.

I’ve taken the plunge and gone with pod point. Price seemed to be competitive and the customer service was excellent on the phone. Pretty much reinforcing what you guys have said about future proof etc and that even the new Tesla’s are all using type 2. I guess it’s a question of why would manufacturers change from type 2 when it’s kind of become the industry standard now?

In other news- seen a glorious rise in range with all this lovely UK winter sun we’ve had recently. Bring on the spring and summer!

JD

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have the 7kW tethered podpoint too. You'll be glad you went with tethered. I went with the 7kwh CHARGER(I got the order changed) even though the ioniq PHEV can only handle 3.6kwh max. WiFi enabled to allow monthly email reports, if you ask them for them.

Maybe see you around Preston... Blue PL17...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have the 7kW tethered podpoint too. You'll be glad you went with tethered. I went with the 7kwh CHARGER(I got the order changed) even though the ioniq PHEV can only handle 3.6kwh max. WiFi enabled to allow monthly email reports, if you ask them for them.

You can even show your weekly charge using the Pod-point app.
See attached picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
... and monthly figures.
The app also shows all their public podpoint chargers with their accurate availability... assuming they are not ice'ed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well, happy to report we have had our 7KW pod point installed and charging really well. Just need to troubleshoot connecting it to the app as it doesn’t seem to register the serial number so going to call them this week.

Ah I’ll keep an eye out around preston. I work in Fulwood so will give you a wave if I see you!

Loving this Ioniq and EV community!

JD

·
Registered
Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid Premium SE Polar White purchased new March 2018
15 Posts
Very pleased with our Podpoint and with the app which allows monitoring of charging and cost. Ours is now just over a year old and had a problem connecting to wifi for charge monitoring, but Podpoint sent an engineer out - almost by return - the main board was changed and all is well again. Superb customer service and a 3 year warranty. Even better was the fact it was free as part of the deal I got...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very pleased with our Podpoint and with the app which allows monitoring of charging and cost. Ours is now just over a year old and had a problem connecting to wifi for charge monitoring, but Podpoint sent an engineer out - almost by return - the main board was changed and all is well again. Superb customer service and a 3 year warranty. Even better was the fact it was free as part of the deal I got...
What was the issue in the end connecting to the wifi? I'm still experiencing the same problem so think a phone call is needed tomorrow when i get some free time.

Mine was the same, well in essence. My local Hyundai dealer promised the charger was incl in the sale of the car. Once i took delivery of the car, rang pod point which to my shock they said they did not have a dealer going and that all deals with that dealership had expired the previous year! So got on the blower and did a bit of kicking off- managed to get them to pay the invoice on the entire order. So went for the 7KW tethered in the end and didnt have to pay a penny luckily.

Now to sort out this wifi issue hmms

JD

·
Registered
559 Posts
I also has a problem connecting to the home wi-fi after about a year and had a board changed after about a year. Been fine since. Confirm that support has been very good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Some great info here, thanks all.
We’re in the process of looking at getting a home charger right now.

I have question, what does PV stand for?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Happy with my pod-point installation and really glad that I went for a tethered unit. Had an issue with the trip sensor but that was easily fixed.
I wish the app was more intuitive, gave you information while charging and was less cludgy but that explains why it receives low scores in the App Store.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts