Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

In the news today were the planned price increases for the BP and Instavolt public EV UK chargers from the 1st Dec 2021.

(Costs per Kwh):

1. BP Standard 50KW Chargers: 23p to 32p for subscribers; 29p to 38p for registered users.

2. BP 150kW Chargers: 38p per kWh for subscribers; 44p for registered users and 50p for PAYG

3. BP 7KW Chargers: 28p.

Instavolt: 40p to 45p

Regards,

SB

·
Registered
8 Posts
There's been a lot of talk about EVs being cheaper to run than ICE vehicles. Even prior to this announced increase, I tend not to think that's the case. I drive an Ioniq 5 primarily on motorways and I don't find it cheaper. Most of the comparisons which claim EVs to be cheaper tend perhaps not to take into account motorway usage (so mileage drops, I get a 100 miles less than the WLTP range for Ioniq 5) and they tend not to take into account the price increases in domestic electricity in 2021, instead choosing to base their analysis on 2020 prices, thus misleading the customers.

In terms of time taken compared to refuelling ICE car (if you need to use public charging) generally anyway but more importantly money spent per mile after the price increase from December 2021, EVs with high motorway driving usage at least, will become more expensive in the cost of 'fuel' than similar ICE vehicles, unless prices of petrol and diesel increase at even higher rates. It's roughly similar currently.

BP Pulse just became quite greedy in this announcement and I guess they want to fund some serious increase in installed capacity at the cost of current adopters of EVs in the UK. Instavolt, it appears, is greedier anyway.

A 50kW charge by BP Pulse will cost more than a 30p/Wh 120kW charge by electric highway/Gridserve after this increase!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's been a lot of talk about EVs being cheaper to run than ICE vehicles. Even prior to this announced increase, I tend not to think that's the case. I drive an Ioniq 5 primarily on motorways and I don't find it cheaper. Most of the comparisons which claim EVs to be cheaper tend perhaps not to take into account motorway usage (so mileage drops, I get a 100 miles less than the WLTP range for Ioniq 5) and they tend not to take into account the price increases in domestic electricity in 2021, instead choosing to base their analysis on 2020 prices, thus misleading the customers.

In terms of time taken compared to refuelling ICE car (if you need to use public charging) generally anyway but more importantly money spent per mile after the price increase from December 2021, EVs with high motorway driving usage at least, will become more expensive in the cost of 'fuel' than similar ICE vehicles, unless prices of petrol and diesel increase at even higher rates. It's roughly similar currently.

BP Pulse just became quite greedy in this announcement and I guess they want to fund some serious increase in installed capacity at the cost of current adopters of EVs in the UK. Instavolt, it appears, is greedier anyway.

A 50kW charge by BP Pulse will cost more than a 30p/Wh 120kW charge by electric highway/Gridserve after this increase!
You've made some really good points there and thanks for posting them up.

From my perspective it'll be interesting to see how much an I5 really does cost to run when the electricity prices get ramped up further and also for a traction battery which performs so poorly in the cold weather.

There will probably be a large number of EV newbies who will get a shock when they finally tally up their running costs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s some big rises!
In the article yesterday it said that BP and Instavolt had also partly absorbed the wholesale price increases so the price rises quoted above are not the full story.

This may infer that the prices will go up again in Q1,22 unless the cost of power can be stabilised in the very near future.

·
Registered
Skoda Yeti 2.0 Very clean diesel (according to VW). Ioniq 5 Ultimate AWD 73kWh tech and eco in 2021!
80 Posts
That’s some big rises!
I fear this highlights the huge disparity between The Haves, who have driveways and can charge off-peak and rarely touch the public charger network, and The Have Nots, who rely on public charging.

At the moment, most EVs are priced outside the reach of those on lower incomes who will be forced to continue using ICE vehicles, thereby copping all the congestion charges, ULEZ zones and what-have-yous.

Those of us who have reached a certain degree of seniority and perhaps gained from our parents' financial prudence seem to be the prime beneficiaries here.

Still, at least we're leaving the young people a planet that's in tip-top condition…

·
Registered
Own Lucid Blue RWD 73KW Premium Ioniq 5
80 Posts
At the moment, most EVs are priced outside the reach of those on lower incomes who will be forced to continue using ICE vehicles,
....and in the past in the late 40's and early 50's, most ICE's were priced outside of those on lower incomes who were forced to walk or bicycle - life is one big merry-go-round, its been the same with all new technologies - TV's, mobile phones, computers etc - they start only with those that can afford them and as time goes on they become mass market, cheaper, affordable and they become 'the norm' - those who could afford them (even though they were expensive) provided that early ability for them to actually exist and have a market so we are doing more than leaving the planet tip top (not sure that is true but still!) - we are trail blazing (picture here the wide open prairies and wagons and horses heading west :))

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wouldn't have bought an EV if I thought I'd be doing a lot of charging away from home. I want the infrastructure and will happily pay a premium price for reliable, fast charging but if you are doing a lot of miles surely ICE makes more sense?
An EV works for me as it goes through the company which knocks £8k of my Corporation Tax bill in Y1, then removes any PAYE / NI / Dividend Tax liabilities. Not sure I'd pay the premium as a private user with all of those costs on top - especially if I had to charge a lot on the move.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts