Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all.

I've had my hybrid for a couple of days. TPMS is showing all tyres are at 50/51 PSI. This is the maximum stated on the tyre wall. The metal plate says 36 PSI.

Did anyone else receive their car with the tyres inflated to this higher pressure, and is there any advantage/disadvantage to having them this high?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Higher pressures than 36 PSI in general damage your tire and is not in favor for the driving balance of your car.
Maintain pressures of the factory metal plate. RTFM.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read the FM from end to end and was just seeking reassurance that there wasn't a reason for the over inflation that other members were aware of.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Firmer tyres can give better economy, but increase tyre wear (centre tread) and reduce road contact giving increased braking distance!

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Probably somebody overzealous with the airline or possibly faulty sensors . Have you double checked the tyre pressures at a garage ?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Dont need a garage. They in general dont have accurate TP meters either. Digital accurate TP meters are sold by Conrad around 30 ~ 40 euro. Check your TP once a week. Perhaps your sensors indeed are out of balance.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
yep, double check your pressures either with a airline at a garage or your own gauge

don't need to be spot on, but it will tell you if it is stupidly high or about normal (36'ish psi) so you will know if ok but sensors playing up, or someone doing the PDI didn't know how to read an air gauge :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
Tyre pressures should be measured when cold but if you set your hybrid up with cold tyres using an accurate guage at 36psi then drive the car and check the on-board readings, they are likely then to read more than 36psi because the tyres will have warmed up. Is the 36psi recommendation for cold tyres or tyres in use, i.e. warm?

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
The 36 psi is from cold , even if warm they shouldn't show as 50 psi . The spare tyre should be about 60 psi . I wonder if someone misread it on the PDI

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
"I normally see 38-40psi when running on a motorway, nowhere near the 50+ the op is reporting"
Same here

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine were all 40 when I collected it. Around 2300 miles later, it's only varied between 38 to 41. The tyres can be inflated to higher depending on the tyre, the load and the environment but 50 seems incredibly high and I would be doing something about it.
I would check the pressure on a couple of air pumps at garages/petrol stations. If they are at 50 psi, I would take some air out and query the dealers reasons/equipment/diligence.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I heard that when transporting new vehicles on a ship, the tire pressure is raised to the max sidewall pressure to prevent flat spotting. The dealer should have checked and adjusted the tire pressure before delivering the vehicle to you.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The TPMS probes in my Ioniq permanently give a tyre pressure 0.1 bar (1.5 PSI) above what I can measure with a precise manometer and cold tyres. So there may be a TPMS tendency to give an overestimate of tyre pressure
But not by 15 PSI of course.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dropped them all to 36 and have just done 321 miles from cold, they showed as 37/38 after a couple of hundred miles.
No issues and to be honest it didn't feel much different either.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I collected mine last week and it showed 41/42 PSI across all tyres, still the same after few days. Think its on the higher side but haven't done anything abt it yet.

Do u think I should reduce it to 36 or leave it at current 41/42 level....?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Reduce to 36 PSI for your safety and health of your tires. Kick some butt at your dealers garage. Outrageous how they deliver a car without checking TP. You paid more than 30K euro for a car PLUS delivery services. Did you even get your license plates for gods sake? >:-((

·
Registered
776 Posts
Not me!. Nitrogen fills are crap and also the selling points and costs behind them. Nitrogen doesnt save your tires does not prevent them to float, have none impact on driving comfort or tyre wear. It will only flat your wallet. Don't let them fool you with fairytails.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts