1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate RWD 73kWh + tech + eco [MY22.5]
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

ICYMI there's a group of vigilantes currently attacking SUVs and EVs

On their website they say: "Hybrids and electric cars are fair game. We cannot electrify our way out of the climate crisis - there are not enough rare earth metals to replace everyone’s car and the mining of these metals causes suffering. Plus, the danger to other road users still stands, as does the air pollution (PM 2.5 pollution is still produced from tyres and brake pads). "

Call me paranoid but I'm wondering, is there any way to prevent the caps on the tyres from being removed?

·
Registered
85 Posts

I've never used them. But they appear to work by having the ability to tighten them onto the valve stem by using the allen key. Without the allen key they are too slippery to grab by hand.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate RWD 73kWh + tech + eco [MY22.5]
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like there's likely to be more activity from this group since now they're in the news (I bet they love that...)

I heard that deflating a tyre fully actually causes damage to the tyre wall, is that true? In that case surely this is dangerous/criminal damage.

In all honesty given the technique they recommend, sounds like it'll be almost impossible to catch them - I heard that for one lady they actually did this to her car on her own drive!

Might invest in some protective caps @Rich5 recommended just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Echo 1.6L NA 4 Door Hatch
155 Posts
From their site

Unscrew the cap on the tire valve. This is usually very easy to find on the wheel. Usually, you turn the cap to the left to unscrew it, right to tighten it. Remember: righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.
To get the air out of the tyre, there must be something pushing down on the pin located in the center of the valve. Drop a small bean (we like green lentils, but you can experiment with couscous, bits of gravel, etc) inside the valve cap. Replace the cap, screwing it on with a few turns until you hear air hissing out. Even if it’s only hissing out a little bit, that’s enough - it will deflate slowly. The whole process should take about 10 seconds.

I kind of have to laugh at the fact that they need to post instructions on how to deflate a tire (righty-tighty......), obviously not too bright of a following. And I have to REALLY laugh at the fact that their preferred method of deflation is by carrying around a pocket full of beans.

That said, they could be doing much worse things to vehicles. Still does not excuse it though.

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD
793 Posts
Not anything new. I recall in the 1970s in Aus if you drove a French vehicle it would get huge scratches over the paintwork. There were even suggestions for how to do the greatest damage. Had a friend who was paranoid about his brand new Renault 16. Fortunately it wasn’t hit.

[The French were exploding above-ground nuclear bombs in the pacific as part of their nuclear weapon development program at the time (Aus shares a border with French Noumea, although that is some distance from islands where tests occurred). While testing occurred between 1960s & 1990s it was only an issue in Aus during above-ground phase in 1970s]

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited Lucid Blue/Gray
226 Posts
They might as well target all cars. Go at it 100% or don't bother at all.

I'd say get an air compressor as well. Always good to be ready to inflate just in case the anti valve stems don't work.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This definitely constitutes criminal damage and also potential threat to life (drive off in a car with partially deflated tyres and no tpms and have a serious accident). Police should track down the IP address being used for admin on that email address and take action.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

ICYMI there's a group of vigilantes currently attacking SUVs and EVs

On their website they say: "Hybrids and electric cars are fair game. We cannot electrify our way out of the climate crisis - there are not enough rare earth metals to replace everyone’s car and the mining of these metals causes suffering. Plus, the danger to other road users still stands, as does the air pollution (PM 2.5 pollution is still produced from tyres and brake pads). "

Call me paranoid but I'm wondering, is there any way to prevent the caps on the tyres from being removed?
So….. how are these vigilantes getting around? They don't drive as tires pollute, bicycles have tires that pollute, soes have rubber soles that pollute….

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
These lunatics will have about the same effect as taking a dustpan and brush to an earthquake zone. Totally pointless mindless vandals who deserve the full force of the law throwing at them. If it was up to me totally I would take them out in a helicopter on the coldest night of the year and drop them 50 miles out in the North Sea

in answer to the question what can we do? The above 🤣

·
Registered
123 Posts
These lunatics will have about the same effect as taking a dustpan and brush to an earthquake zone. Totally pointless mindless vandals who deserve the full force of the law throwing at them. If it was up to me totally I would take them out in a helicopter on the coldest night of the year and drop them 50 miles out in the North Sea

in answer to the question what can we do? The above 🤣
Can we not send them to Australia, or the Isle of Wight?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts