Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have I missed it or is there no way to stop charging from the screen inside the car. I went to take the car out and left my phone with Bluelink behind. Couldn't unplug the charge cable without stopping the charging. Real pain. I know you can manually release the charge cable from inside the cargo area but wouldn't it be smart to have a start and stop charge button on the interface inside the car? Comments?

Cheers
David

·
Registered
2022, Hyundai, Ioniq 5 SEL AWD
88 Posts
Have I missed it or is there no way to stop charging from the screen inside the car. I went to take the car out and left my phone with Bluelink behind. Couldn't unplug the charge cable without stopping the charging. Real pain. I know you can manually release the charge cable from inside the cargo area but wouldn't it be smart to have a start and stop charge button on the interface inside the car? Comments?

Cheers
David
Use the key fob to unlock all doors. This will stop charging and unlock charger plug.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
734 Posts
To stop a charge all you need to do is press the button on top of the charging handle. Pressing that stops the charge from the charger and the car will then unlock the port. This works on all home chargers, level 2 and DC charging with CCS plugs.

·
Registered
2022, Hyundai, Ioniq 5 SEL AWD
88 Posts
To stop a charge all you need to do is press the button on top of the charging handle. Pressing that stops the charge from the charger and the car will then unlock the port. This works on all home chargers, level 2 and DC charging with CCS plugs.
But, if you have the charging socket set to lock while charging or always locked to prevent theft, you will need to use key fob to unlock.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
734 Posts
But, if you have the charging socket set to lock while charging or always locked to prevent theft, you will need to use key fob to unlock.
Correct, with the key fob in your hand, OP wouldn't be asking his question...

Anyways, Lock While Charging can still be bypassed by pressing the button on top of the Plug. That tells the charger to stop charging. So then the car will unlock the plug.
Always Lock, you'll still need to stop the charging (by pressing the button), then going into the trunk to pull the release (if you don't have key fob and the car is lock), if car doors are unlocked, open driver's door and press unlock then it'll release the Plug.

My answer is a direct answer to OP's question, How to stop charging without phone. Pressing the button on the Plug stops the charge, no matter what you're using to charge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks but if the lock is on to prevent the charge cable from being pulled, you can't "push the button" to stop charging. That is the whole point of having that button not push. Because that would release the cable and that is exactly what you don't want. I believe I had it set to lock the cable while charging. So you have to stop the charging separately first. That was my conundrum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Further to your answer and mine... I said I couldn't pull the cable. I perhaps should have been clearer... I couldn't pull it because I could not push the release button because the cable was locked for charging.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I did that and it didn't work. Didn't stop charging and didn't release the plug. I actually even had the tailgate open too as I had put my dog inside before taking her to the park.
Further to what I wrote above, to prove that I had all the doors open, I did get in the car and when I tried to start it got an on screen message saying you can't start the car while it's charging.

·
Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
223 Posts
Was this on a Petro-Canada charger? I've gotten stuck on one and so has another I5 owner. I think the latch release button is really stiff or just doesn't work sometimes.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks. I did that and it didn't work. Didn't stop charging and didn't release the plug. I actually even had the tailgate open too as I had put my dog inside before taking her to the park.
First clarification would be if you’re ac or dc charging. I’m fairly certain dc charging locks on the plug side. The only way to release the cable is to stop the charging which would be easy enough to do on the charging unit.

If you are ac charging, the pressing unlock on the fob 100% works. Just tried it myself. Actively charging and locked. Pressing unlock on the fob release the cable lock and you can unplug. If you don’t pull out the cable within 15 seconds the lock will renengage. So the tailgate being open is meaningless. The doors being unlocked doesn’t mean the cable is unlocked. It only unlocks right after pressing it on the fob.

In terms of stopping the charge from within the car you could change the charge % to something below the soc (assuming you’re already past 50%). I assume setting your departure time as active to another day would also stop the charge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First clarification would be if you’re ac or dc charging. I’m fairly certain dc charging locks on the plug side. The only way to release the cable is to stop the charging which would be easy enough to do on the charging unit.

If you are ac charging, the pressing unlock on the fob 100% works. Just tried it myself. Actively charging and locked. Pressing unlock on the fob release the cable lock and you can unplug. If you don’t pull out the cable within 15 seconds the lock will renengage. So the tailgate being open is meaningless. The doors being unlocked doesn’t mean the cable is unlocked. It only unlocks right after pressing it on the fob.

In terms of stopping the charge from within the car you could change the charge % to something below the soc (assuming you’re already past 50%). I assume setting your departure time as active to another day would also stop the charge.
Thanks for the info. As you will see from another reply I just posted, this happened to me on AC, home charging. In any event, it seems I had some kind of anomaly. And so it seems to me an 'on board' and 'on screen' way to positively stop charging and unlock the plug would be a useful feature to have in a future software update. Thank you.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Thanks for the info. As you will see from another reply I just posted, this happened to me on AC, home charging. In any event, it seems I had some kind of anomaly. And so it seems to me an 'on board' and 'on screen' way to positively stop charging and unlock the plug would be a useful feature to have in a future software update. Thank you.
If you unlock the car and are on a AC charger the plug is unlocked from the car’s socket. You can hear when this happens. However, after about 30 secs it relocks the charging socket so you have to lock and unlock the car again.

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD
956 Posts
If you unlock the car and are on a AC charger the plug is unlocked from the car’s socket. You can hear when this happens. However, after about 30 secs it relocks the charging socket so you have to lock and unlock the car again.
Yeah, although I agree with @MIkeS that having other ways to stop charging would be good, especially if something goes wrong. Like being crashed by another car while charging, child getting tangled in cable, garage fire, etc, etc.

And I’m not being pedantic, but I think it’s important for OP to appreciate it’s only 15 seconds after you press the key fob before the charge port re-locks. I’ve been caught several times not withdrawing the cable quickly enough.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, although I agree with @MIkeS that having other ways to stop charging would be good, especially if something goes wrong. Like being crashed by another car while charging, child getting tangled in cable, garage fire, etc, etc.

And I’m not being pedantic, but I think it’s important for OP to appreciate it’s only 15 seconds after you press the key fob before the charge port re-locks. I’ve been caught several times not withdrawing the cable quickly enough.
Thanks to both for this information. Since I was putting the dog in the back, it may well have been more than 15 seconds. Didn't try to lock and unlock again. I did not see this in the manual when I was reading all about being careful in charging from the house and understanding the different circuit values. Must have missed it. So instead, I ran back to the house to get my phone which was being recharged from near empty and hope it had enough juice to make a Bluelink connection so I could stand by my car (and dog) and use my phone to get access to my car. It did work but I felt like a dork. Thank you all. BTW, I'm not a fan of all the jargon that bulletin boards use. I'm old school. Some may think of me as the OP but really, I'm David.

Cheers

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD
956 Posts
Sorry @David M , I get mixed up too (well maybe I’m just lazy) & now realise you are intended recipient of both my comments at post #16. Will need more patience in tracking down who is who before I reply in future. Glad I could help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts