Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
most owners are reasonably happy
Most owners are reasonably happy with all car manufacturers. After all the deaths and huge repair bills, people still buy Fords, Toyotas, BMW etc. Take Kia/Hyuindai for instance, after butchering their engines since 2010, denying the fact they were defective until 2016 and finally forced an engine recall in 2018, people still remain loyal.

I'm just saying that I won't form emotional attachment to cars like I have in the past and replace it as soon as find a better deal, I just hope that "vegan" interior holds up till then.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've got to admit that the engine thing gave me a bit of pause, but this is a different engine, and the wife and I have had zero problems (engine or otherwise) in the other 5 Hyundai's we've owned between us.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm going to hazard a guess that it simply means that Hyundai make and sell a lot of cars, and that perhaps it could be inferred that most owners are reasonably happy. Whether or not German cars are worth keeping long term is not even relevant that I can see, though I imagine many owners of German cars would extoll the virtues of their vehicles in much the same way as many of us here do about our Ioniqs.
Everyone buys a specific car for a specific reason. Sometimes its the features, price, payments, just something that looks cool, being part of an elite group. I know a huge selling point for me was the lease, but I have a buddy who will only buy VW TDI diesels. Nothing else. So yeah, I am going to agree and say that being the third largest car company, they have been doing something right.
Also, for anyone looking for a little fun fact, I read that when they made the Ioniq, they thought about what their competitors would have in their cars 3 years from now, and the technology they used is based on that.
So the Comment from
XxHaimBondxX said:
“There is no way I'd purchase it after lease. No offence, but I don't trust Kia/Hyundai in the long run, especially when new tech is concerned.” Actually doesn't make sense unless you can anticipate the future like these guys do. Ans even three years from now, you are basically saying that someone else always has better technology.
Hyundai is the third largest auto maker Globally, behind Toyota & Volkswagen.
I have been satisfied since my first Elantra in 1992,
And another fun fact, I read in an article, that Hyundai built this car based on what other competitors would have three years from now. I would say that the technology in this car is pretty advanced over other hybrids. Its like a “smart” hybrid. So I guess your gamble would be, in three years there will be better technology in a different car? But not the long run? What about updates? Software and hardware? Just trying to understand.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Everyone buys a specific car for a specific reason. Sometimes its the features, price, payments, just something that looks cool, being part of an elite group. I know a huge selling point for me was the lease, but I have a buddy who will only buy VW TDI diesels. Nothing else. So yeah, I am going to agree and say that being the third largest car company, they have been doing something right.
Also, for anyone looking for a little fun fact, I read that when they made the Ioniq, they thought about what their competitors would have in their cars 3 years from now, and the technology they used is based on that.
So the Comment from
XxHaimBondxX said:
“There is no way I'd purchase it after lease. No offence, but I don't trust Kia/Hyundai in the long run, especially when new tech is concerned.” Actually doesn't make sense unless you can anticipate the future like these guys do. Ans even three years from now, you are basically saying that someone else always has better technology.

And another fun fact, I read in an article, that Hyundai built this car based on what other competitors would have three years from now. I would say that the technology in this car is pretty advanced over other hybrids. Its like a “smart” hybrid. So I guess your gamble would be, in three years there will be better technology in a different car? But not the long run? What about updates? Software and hardware? Just trying to understand.
I'm not even sure what you're saying. Both of your "fun facts" state Ioniq is 3 years ahead of its time based on some fluff piece your read online. Are we driving the same car? At least Tesla fanboyz have cool cars, almost exotic, this is just too stupid to debate over a basic transport.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I don't see the Ioniq as being ahead of its time. Not sure I can even point to something that is class leading. On par mechanically and operationally with the Prius. Less expensive, better warranty, and better looking than the Prius makes it a good deal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not even sure what you're saying. Both of your "fun facts" state Ioniq is 3 years ahead of its time based on some fluff piece your read online. Are we driving the same car? At least Tesla fanboyz have cool cars, almost exotic, this is just too stupid to debate over a basic transport.
You like Tesla? Why didn't you buy one? Second thought, please don’t answer that. Im sure you have some excuse about technology, service, or money.

Why did you even buy this car if you hate it so much? All you have really been doing is complaining. Go to prius forum if all you want to do is talk crap on Hyundai.

Please your ‘will never be satisfied’ attitude with you and let us happy owners enjoy our conversations.

(MIC DROP....)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Few more questions I'm not able to find answers to:

Does the US model come with heated rear seats?
Does the US model front heated seats have leg and back warmers?
Does the US model have vented front seats?

Can the LFA / LKAS be disabled permanently? I've read some people say you have to hit the button every trip and others that there is an option to turn it off.
Sorry to butt in from the other side of the pond, and I know you are asking about US spec cars, but here in the UK the top spec 2020 model does have heated rear seats. They also come with heated and ventilated front seats, our heating elements are in the base and lower back sections of the seats. These are all complimented with a heated steering wheel. Lovely!

·
Registered
39 Posts
You like Tesla? Why didn't you buy one? Second thought, please don’t answer that. Im sure you have some excuse about technology, service, or money.

Why did you even buy this car if you hate it so much? All you have really been doing is complaining. Go to prius forum if all you want to do is talk crap on Hyundai.

Please your ‘will never be satisfied’ attitude with you and let us happy owners enjoy our conversations.

(MIC DROP....)
Do you even understand the written text in front of you? I compared you to a crazy Tesla fanboi that has fingers up their ears, not that I think that car is better or worse. I don't hate Ioniq, although the occasional 0 accellaration even on full throttle starting to annoy me. All I'm saying this car is a low rent throw away car that has expiration date of 3 years. Mic drop lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do you even understand the written text in front of you? I compared you to a crazy Tesla fanboi that has fingers up their ears, not that I think that car is better or worse. I don't hate Ioniq, although the occasional 0 accellaration even on full throttle starting to annoy me. All I'm saying this car is a low rent throw away car that has expiration date of 3 years. Mic drop lol.
1. Tesla is an All Electric - why are you comparing it to our Hybrid? Move to the EV forum for that, not the PHEV....duh....
2. 3 year throw-away would be a car with a 3 year warranty. How does a 10yr 100,000 mile included warranty in any way imply that its only good for 3 years? Obviously the company as ‘some’ faith, beyond 3 years if they are giving you 7 More Years.....duh..... And being one of the largest automakers, it would seem people have faith as well, well, minus yourself of course.

3. lifetime warranty on the battery. Sounds like they are guaranteeing it will perform just fine beyond three, four, five, and even six years from now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
1. Tesla is an All Electric - why are you comparing it to our Hybrid? Move to the EV forum for that, not the PHEV....duh....
2. 3 year throw-away would be a car with a 3 year warranty. How does a 10yr 100,000 mile included warranty in any way imply that its only good for 3 years? Obviously the company as ‘some’ faith, beyond 3 years if they are giving you 7 More Years.....duh..... And being one of the largest automakers, it would seem people have faith as well, well, minus yourself of course.

3. lifetime warranty on the battery. Sounds like they are guaranteeing it will perform just fine beyond three, four, five, and even six years from now.
1. You just don't get it or just trolling. I already said twice I'm not comparing Tesla cars to Ioniq cars, I'm equating the fan base. Here, I'm saying this A THIRD TIME.
2. You may want to read your warranty book again, you have a 10 year powertrain warranty. There are a million other things that could break in this car, which are not covered by the powertrain warranty. I have some experience with that. How about paying the dealer $150 diagnostic fee to find out you are not covered by the warranty?
3. Read the warranty book again. I doubt it includes battery degradation, so in 10 years you will have electric range of 3 miles and good luck replacing it under warranty.
4. Anyway, I decided I'm keeping this car forever, so disregard. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I doubt it includes battery degradation, so in 10 years you will have electric range of 3 miles and good luck replacing it under warranty.
Pretty close to trolling yourself! An EV range of 3 miles is failure and would be covered. So far, after some millions of miles, no one has reported any battery degradation. That includes several owners who have racked over 150,000 miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pretty close to trolling yourself! An EV range of 3 miles is failure and would be covered. So far, after some millions of miles, no one has reported any battery degradation. That includes several owners who have racked over 150,000 miles.
We're talking about phev here, not ev. Pay attention before you insert your 2 cents. If on a brand new car I get 20 miles range, I bet in 10 years it won't be more than 3. Are you saying Hyundai will get me a brand new battery because that's what lifetime warranty means to you?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry to butt in from the other side of the pond, and I know you are asking about US spec cars, but here in the UK the top spec 2020 model does have heated rear seats. They also come with heated and ventilated front seats, our heating elements are in the base and lower back sections of the seats. These are all complimented with a heated steering wheel. Lovely!
That is great news on the UK options; maybe they'll offer those options here someday.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
We're talking about phev here, not ev. Pay attention before you insert your 2 cents. If on a brand new car I get 20 miles range, I bet in 10 years it won't be more than 3. Are you saying Hyundai will get me a brand new battery because that's what lifetime warranty means to you?
Lifetime warranty is a marketing term, not a legal one. Meaningless to me for sure. My Kia warranty is 10 years and as far as I'm concerned, that is equivalent or better than "lifetime".

Most manufacturers cover battery degradation more than thirty percent over some period. Hyundai has never said that in writing so it will be a fight for sure. What percentage of a new PHEV battery is 3 miles range? My hybrid does more than that. That's not a hard case to win.

But you are putting in your own 2 cents about nothing. No one has had any measurable degradation in an Ioniq - in part because of buffers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
But you are putting in your own 2 cents about nothing. No one has had any measurable degradation in an Ioniq - in part because of buffers.
You're right, I have no idea about the status of this battery in 10 years, however, having experience dealing with Kia and their incompetence at repairing complex issues, I would rather minimize my exposure and not fight with them or their parent company in a few years.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
You're right, I have no idea about the status of this battery in 10 years, however, having experience dealing with Kia and their incompetence at repairing complex issues, I would rather minimize my exposure and not fight with them or their parent company in a few years.
So that begs the question......

41 - 58 of 58 Posts