Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else having issues with a rattle with the trunk plastic? I feel like its never been really “flush” with the car and feels like a 3 year old could rip it off. Told the dealership and they said thats how its supposed to be....I know its not. Maybe another dealership can help. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2018 Ioniq PHEV
43 Posts
Not on our IO but my wife has a Niro she drives for work and she made the same comment about a rattle - one of the bolts that holds the spoiler came off. Might be a place to take a look.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi I took mine in to Main Dealers because I felt over certain bumps it sounded like the rear hatch lock catch was clunking.or the glass window was loose after about 4 hours they said car is ready to collect.
So I drove away thinking it had been sorted but it was slightly better but still bugging me so drove it back to them.
Next day mid afternoon collected the car again exactly the same I asked what they had done and they said that they had adjusted bump stops rear seats doors investigated underneith the car test drove it and said it now didnt sound any differant to any other Ioniq.

Still not happy I returned thinking that I was being told a load of old garbige and asked if I could take out one of the Ioniqs from the sales yard, sure I was told so I did and that one being a year newer than mine it had the same noise from exactly the same place over the same road.

So I agree with you these cars do sound a bit clunky over certain bumps in the road otherwise its very quiet in general. If you solve yours please advise what it is we may both have the same problem here but a real headache to fix. .

·
Registered
2018 Ioniq PHEV
43 Posts
You know what, I complete forgot about the fact that I adjusted those bumpers. I was having a problem shutting the trunk, didn't notice a sound on the road but when I shut the trunk it was awful sounding and often didn't latch. Rotated the bumpers out and made them taller, solid thunk when closing. SteveA is right, might be your noise is coming from the fact those bumpers are not adjusted properly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi mine were adjusted by Hyundai under warranty be careful though our warranty is sub devided into sections and for rattles I believe its 6 months from purchase and although mine were adjusted ( basically you just unscrew them by hand they are locacated at the base of the hatch one either side) along with other things it never cured it completely .
Its only my opinion but without completely striping out everything boot card, rear seats, trim etc etc its a guessing game.

I even scrambled in the back hatch with my wife driving and still couldn't locate the damn noise, decided in the end to turn my music up and enjoy the good parts of the car and there's plenty to enjoy. :oops::unsure::D..

·
Registered
64 Posts
So I agree with you these cars do sound a bit clunky over certain bumps in the road otherwise its very quiet in general. If you solve yours please advise what it is we may both have the same problem here but a real headache to fix. .
There seem to be a variety of noises coming from the region of the tailgate. You might want to check out this post of mine and, more importantly, the links to solutions that people more experienced than I have tried.
I have owned my 2020 PHEV for around 10 months and, since I mainly drive short distances, recently passed the 4000 mile mark.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thanks all!!! Taking it into the dealership for some recall work. Asked if they could take a look. I may just do it myself if its just a screw. Its leased so Im sure they want to cover it. But if not I will tighten a bolt myself. But straight on with the bolt/nut loose.
Thanks guys!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone else having issues with a rattle with the trunk plastic? I feel like its never been really “flush” with the car and feels like a 3 year old could rip it off. Told the dealership and they said thats how its supposed to be....I know its not. Maybe another dealership can help. Thanks for your input.

Hi I had the same issue with my 2018 Ioniq took apart the trunk found to missing rear spoiler bolts it was only held on by glue and one bolt, looks like some one forgot to tighten the bolts at the factory .

·
Registered
8 Posts
my spoiler nuts keep coming undone and creating a trunk rattle every few months.
remove the plastic panel between both the hatch glasses and you will see all of the loose bolt nuts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts