Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my '19 Ioniq Blue in for service today, and had the tech do a ride along for a noise that was occurring under braking. It sounded to me like a brake related issue. Imagine my surprise when the service manager comes out 2 hours later to say the transmission was failing! I had noticed a hesitation to accelerate the day before, but figured maybe the engine was still cold and it was just waking up. Not really sure what the exact failure is, but the service manager did say it was regen related and that the transmission does play a part in the regen cycle.
Thankfully the repair will be covered under warranty. We just have to wait for a loaner car to be returned before we drop it back off at the dealership. Anybody else have a similar issue?

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,094 Posts
I've never heard of that happening. The Ioniqs design would make it fairly gentile on the transmission. I'm sure it's a fluke in manufacturing with yours.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Limited
10 Posts
As a new owner myself having just bought a remaining new 2019 Limited model, I'd like to know the manufacture date of yours if you could please share. If it is a manufacturing flaw as @IsntItIoniq mentioned, which I agree with as that is entirely possible, I'd like to know if ours were manufactured at or around the same time.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
8,045 Posts
i have only heard of 1 maybe 2 Ioniqs suffering transmission failure, one had a bad whine on regen braking, was the electric motor

replacement motor fixed it never heard about it again

it is a rare occurance

in general the drive train is pretty bullet proof

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have only heard of 1 maybe 2 Ioniqs suffering transmission failure, one had a bad whine on regen braking, was the electric motor

replacement motor fixed it never heard about it again

it is a rare occurance

in general the drive train is pretty bullet proof
I agree, that' s why I bought it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a new owner myself having just bought a remaining new 2019 Limited model, I'd like to know the manufacture date of yours if you could please share. If it is a manufacturing flaw as @IsntItIoniq mentioned, which I agree with as that is entirely possible, I'd like to know if ours were manufactured at or around the same time.

Thanks in advance!
Sorry, responded to the wrong member. October 24, 2018.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I dropped my Ioniq off today for the transmissionectomy. They put me in a Kona (what a pile!) and I am already missing my car. I'll post an update when (and if) they tell me exactly what failed in the Ioniq's DCT.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Limited
10 Posts
Thanks for the update! Sorry about the rental... But hey, it beats a bus pass! Be well! Look forward to your next update.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Interested to hear why you dislike the Kona. Was it just because it's an ICE or was there some other reason. I test drove one (petrol) and quite liked it, pretty much an IONIQ with a different skin. I figured the EV version would be great, except for the backseat leg room.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interested to hear why you dislike the Kona. Was it just because it's an ICE or was there some other reason. I test drove one (petrol) and quite liked it, pretty much an IONIQ with a different skin. I figured the EV version would be great, except for the backseat leg room.
It's really a terrible vehicle. Bad ride, weak engine, all hard plastic interior and not that great of gas mileage. Reminded me a lot of the Kia Soul a rental company gave me 2 years ago while on vacation. Returned it the next day and demanded a different car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my Ioniq back. Yeah! Drives fine. I asked Coggins Hyundai what specifically failed, and they didn't have an answer. They said they just pull the bad transmission out and send it to some facility for tear down (and I would assume rebuild). Sorry I don't have more information. Hyundai's customer service was top notch though, and I continue to be happy with my Ioniq.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts