Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know at what interval the transmission will need service? Also since this is a DCT the service could be expensive, does anyone know the approximate cost? I am asking since I heard that the VW DCT transmission are expensive to service, since this one might be more complex (with the additional electric motor) it could be a high cost item.

Thanks,
Marcel

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I believe the VW DCT is a wet clutch, requiring more frequent oil changes as the oil is shared with the clutch. In addition, it has a much higher workload than the Ioniq as it has to slip much more on each startup. Except for rare conditions, the Ioniq clutch never slips. The electric motor gets the car moving, and all shifts are rpm matched - no slipping! So reliability on that front should be better than the VW. No maintenance reason to service the transmission at all.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I really wouldn't worry on that score - according to the manual the transmission fluid is only inspected every 40,000 miles or 48 months (top up and contamination) and the fluid is changed every 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
People in Korea change the DCT oil (gear oil) for better feel. It is a simple drain and refill like a manual transmission. What you have to change before DCT oil is due (unless you just want to use the oil of your choice, go for it) is the DCT actuator fluid (DOT3/4 i believe) around 30k unless I am mistaken. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does anyone know at what interval the transmission will need service? Also since this is a DCT the service could be expensive, does anyone know the approximate cost? I am asking since I heard that the VW DCT transmission are expensive to service, since this one might be more complex (with the additional electric motor) it could be a high cost item.

Thanks,
Marcel
I paid $187.78 to have the DTC fluid changed. Included cost of oil. Requires 2 quarts of special oil. Don't waste time trying to dyi this one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I paid $187.78 to have the DTC fluid changed. Included cost of oil. Requires 2 quarts of special oil. Don't waste time trying to dyi this one.
My Hyundai service manager said he was okay with going up to 65K miles before changing. Also, don't waste your money on changing the HSG starter/generator serpentine belt until 90 k miles. I Live in Texas and drive in extreme heat. My belt was okay at 90k but was showing some signs of drying out / no cracks. Cost to change HSG belt $180 to $220 depending on how bad the service department wants to fleece you.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Thanks,
Marcel
Hi Marcel, the oil required is 75 W90. That was from a dealer so it should be gospel. There is probably a "How To" video on YouTube should you fancy a DIY. I'm not sure if there is a filter involved but My best guess is yes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts