Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On top of my Nav screen i see next to TA an indicator called TPEG. Anyone any idea what this stands for? Not mentioned in user manual.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TPEG

The Transport Protocol Experts Group (TPEG) is a data protocol suite for traffic and travel related information. TPEG can be carried over different transmission media (bearers), such as digital broadcast or cellular networks (wireless Internet). TPEG applications include, among others, information on road conditions, weather, fuel prices, parking or delays of public transport

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. thanks! I suppose this notification inducates use of the tracking points in the map?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Interesting. thanks! I suppose this notification inducates use of the tracking points in the map?
The TPEG visible on the screen indicates you are receiving traffic data via that method. This is only possible when you connect to live services via wifi in car.

When you are not connected to wifi you won't be connected to live services (TPEG) and it will have TMC there instead.

When TMC is visible you are receiving data via Traffic Message Channel...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel

Basically those letters are telling you how you are receiving your traffic info.

Reactions: fishyweb

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wonderful! I dont have internet access in the car as I leave my phone hotspot off. So I have live update access for free. Thats great.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Good for you. It could be you are in one of the countries listed with tpeg via broadcast. Although these are premium paid services according to the (not always accurate Wikipedia). Either way, enjoy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The TPEG visible on the screen indicates you are receiving traffic data via that method. This is only possible when you connect to live services via wifi in car.

When you are not connected to wifi you won't be connected to live services (TPEG) and it will have TMC there instead.

When TMC is visible you are receiving data via Traffic Message Channel...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel

Basically those letters are telling you how you are receiving your traffic info.

I might have to stand corrected. Reading further TPEG is available rpthrough dab. Not sure about whether live traffic is same as tpeg/tmc. Confused myself with so many conflicting sites haha.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the TPEG indicator means that traffic info is received over DAB, and not over TomTom Live Services. These 2 channels apparently do not contradict but are complementary to eachother.
Read https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TPEG.

TTLS are received bij Wifi and need an internet connection. This explaines my TPEG indicator without wifi. So no free lunch, pity!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maybe off topic: but how do you delete a destination after de-activating the navigation to that destination? I can only find the re-activation of the navigation to that same destination. But it has to be deleted/terminated whatever. Incredible that this is too difficult for me to find!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The last navigation route always stays in the system until you overwrite it with another one. Then the last navroute is stored in the navigation history. The only way to delete all routes is a reset of the system to factory defaults. Thats for instance what you do when you sell your car.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I believe the TPEG indicator means that traffic info is received over DAB, and not over TomTom Live Services. These 2 channels apparently do not contradict but are complementary to eachother.
Read https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TPEG.

TTLS are received bij Wifi and need an internet connection. This explaines my TPEG indicator without wifi. So no free lunch, pity!

Obviously this is geared to the UK and I cant be wholly bothered to dig into all this (I bought the car because it had these features that worked for me to save me time not spend the rest of my life reading about them in great detail :) But idle curiosity is always there (how else would I have found this) but it may be of interest to those with too much time on their hands...there is certainly more info out there than I initially thought

https://www.worlddab.org/files/event_document/file/150/3.12_dave_francis.pdf?1386682431

http://tap.iht.org/objects_store/201206/In_vehicle_information_in_the_UK_note05-12.pdf

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dave Francis pdf is corrupted and cannot be opened. The other paper exactly underscores my presumptions.
In my view Hyundai could have done much better in explaining the capabilities of Ioniqs satnav. Thanks for this link Martin.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Dave Francis pdf is corrupted and cannot be opened. The other paper exactly underscores my presumptions.
In my view Hyundai could have done much better in explaining the capabilities of Ioniqs satnav. Thanks for this link Martin.
Works for me but whoever it was posted up that dodgy service manual a while ago seemed to need Foxit reader for it to work and that is what is currently my default pdf reader and it works in that so you may want to try that? Its quite an in-depth read - you may enjoy it.

I had just assumed you either needed a data connection for TomTom or used the crappy speech broadcasts on FM...seems I may have been wrong. Your post got me thinking Rene!

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Saturday I traveled with the navigation system set at my home destination, when I received a live message on the screen: on the planned route there is some traffic and an alternate route would have a time gain of 6 minutes. I could indicate if I wanted to go for that alternative. I did not have an Internet connection in the car. Above it is suggested that you need an Internet connection for good live info. But to what extent does it already work without Internet connection? What is the added value of an Internet connection for live info? Did others without Internet connection also receive such messages?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Live traffic info does not deliver much more than TPEG over DAB radio, provided that TPEG is in operation.
I got some TPEG route suggestions too. Alternative routes were always longer in distance and time. Hence, not better than TMC on your satnav. In the UK TPEG seems to perform better than in Holland as it already longer supports DAB.
So when I encounter a traffic jam I lean back and relax. Alternatives only get worse.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
So when I encounter a traffic jam I lean back and relax. Alternatives only get worse.
if far enough out and it is a long incident (e.g. road closed, major accidedent) then I find it worth going round, as soo as you get to the back of the queue I find it just as quick to sit in the traffic as everyone else tries to use the side roads and they take longer to clear when the incident is over

1 - 16 of 16 Posts