Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think it demonstrates that Toyota's reputation for reliability is not necessarily as deserved as we are usually told. Also that as much as modern cars are far more reliable than they used to be, when they do go wrong, it tends to be harder to fully and accurately diagnose, and rather more expensive to repair.

Personally, if I still had my Prius, or had replaced it with a new one instead of an Ioniq, I wouldn't be half as worried about experiencing this fault as in Toyota's response to it.

·
Super Moderator
1,808 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think it is deserved to be honest. I would like to see a league table of the most reliable brands, I'd bet Toyota in the top 3.
Not deserved on my experience. All three of the Toyotas I have owned in recent years had had issues. It may not be statistically significant, but reliability problems would not encourage me to buy another one.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Not deserved on my experience. All three of the Toyotas I have owned in recent years had had issues. It may not be statistically significant, but reliability problems would not encourage me to buy another one.
I must have been lucky then. Before my Ioniq EV, I drove a 2004 Prius for about 7 years, and a 2014 plug in Prius for 3 years and had no issues with either one.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I must have been lucky then. Before my Ioniq EV, I drove a 2004 Prius for about 7 years, and a 2014 plug in Prius for 3 years and had no issues with either one.
I'm sure there are many perfectly satisfied owners, after all, reputations derive from something! And even with issues, I was largely satisfied with my cars. But there were problems with all three, ranging from minor things like the horn sounding very briefly at random intervals on the 2007 Gen 2, windshield rattles (all three), traction control warnings during braking (the 2014 Gen 3), to rather more serious issues such as water leaks and instrument panel failures in the 2011 Gen 3.

Nothing is perfect, however.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Given the time that Toyota has been building hybrids they should surely be the most reliable. If not, why not?
Well, according to Consumer Reports, they are, and the Prius hybrids are the best.
https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/10-reliable-cars-2019-according-crs-annual-survey/
The Prius C is #1, and I just happen to be trading my 2014 model in for a Kona EV Ultimate ($10K incentive here in BC incl the new Fed subsidy). The dealer gave me a terrific trade in price (60% of what I paid for it 5 years ago). Can't ask for anything better than that. I am sure the reliability reports help, and the fact that the newest 2019 Prius C model (which is different than the regular Prius) is still on the same gen platform as my 2104. Plus in Vancouver we have the highest gas prices in North America (and going up further), so any car cheap on gas is worth more here than elsewhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts