Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In today's Mail was an article criticising the lack and availability of chargers in car parks and service areas.
The writer was forced abandon her Nissan Leaf because chargers were not working at several sites. There is a quote from Ecotricity stating that they are continuing to loose money and having to cut back on support and charger maintenance. Not good publicity for the EV movement.

·
Registered
525 Posts
In today's Mail was an article criticising the lack and availability of chargers in car parks and service areas.
The writer was forced abandon her Nissan Leaf because chargers were not working at several sites. There is a quote from Ecotricity stating that they are continuing to loose money and having to cut back on support and charger maintenance. Not good publicity for the EV movement.
There was also a report that a number of charge points have been removed because of repeated vandalism. Sadly, the present lack of Policing resource is unlikely to prevent it.

·
Super Moderator
8,172 Posts
at a local morrisons 3 out of the 6 charge ports have had the covers broken, so unlike they are in a working condition, they have been like it for several years so no maintenance and only ever seen one car charging in 4-5 years there

problem is they are only L2 charger, so to slow for an EV to make use and to expensive for a plug in driver

·
Registered
202 Posts
Last night parked on the 'Source London' Charging Station inside the Westfield White City Shopping Centre only to find out that none are working [all 18 of them]! Spoke to Source London this morning who told me that they have been decommissioned since June 2018. That's 18 charging stations out of use.....

·
Registered
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
714 Posts
I have long believed that installation of L2 chargers is not particularly useful. They just take to long which results in two problems. You need a lot of them because turn over is so low (perhaps only 3 or 4 customers per day) - which increases cost of installation, and also increases usage costs because electric transfer is so slow so you need to charge more to recoup expenses. And secondly, they waste a lot of time for the car owner. Who has 2 to 4 hrs to wait around for a charge. So unless it's at work or at home, I see little point to them. However a few well placed 100 kW or 150 kW L3 stations, now that I see as beneficial.

OB

Reactions: ds093

·
Registered
525 Posts
at a local morrisons 3 out of the 6 charge ports have had the covers broken, so unlike they are in a working condition, they have been like it for several years so no maintenance and only ever seen one car charging in 4-5 years there

problem is they are only L2 charger, so to slow for an EV to make use and to expensive for a plug in driver
It is a concern that as nation, whenever we try to provide unattended resources for public use, inevitably such resources get stolen or vandalised.

I spent many years in Local Government and have seen bins stolen, defribulator vandalised, street lamps vandalised, and a number of roadside salt bins and post boxes blown up by powerful explosive agricultural bird scarers (they were stolen from a farm). Without active CCTV what hope have the vast number of EV chargers got!

·
Super Moderator
8,172 Posts
It is a concern that as nation, whenever we try to provide unattended resources for public use, inevitably such resources get stolen or vandalised.

I spent many years in Local Government and have seen bins stolen, defribulator vandalised, street lamps vandalised, and a number of roadside salt bins and post boxes blown up by powerful explosive agricultural bird scarers (they were stolen from a farm). Without active CCTV what hope have the vast number of EV chargers got!
but "its only a bit of fun "
but if we caught the little BLEEP's and strung them up by their BLEEP's as we thought it was fun they would soon start complaining

kids today just aren't taught to respects other peoples property

·
Registered
525 Posts
but "its only a bit of fun "
but if we caught the little BLEEP's and strung them up by their BLEEP's as we thought it was fun they would soon start complaining

kids today just aren't taught to respects other peoples property
Ain’t that the truth!!

Perhaps we Should go back to the days of letting the punishment fit the crime...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts