Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ 5 Limited Digital Teal Green
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. My tires on my new I.S. Limited all for tires showed 48 PSI today. The guidance on the door is 34 PSI. I was pretty shocked. The difference is so tremendous I’m worried something is wrong with the label.

Any U.S. or Canadian limited owners with 20” wheels willing to share their tire pressure? Just afraid to lover it by 14 pounds as that’s a lot!! Don’t want to damage the tires either way.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Checked with a good pressure gauge or TPMS display? Was that cold pressure or after driving for a while? Pressure should be set cold, none or very little driving. I have watched pressure on my truck while driving can easily go up 8-10 psi while driving. If that high cold it took a human to do it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it was about after 10 miles at about 58 degrees F 14.5 C. I’ll test it again cold but that is a big increase.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why. Filling it with nitrogen has zero benefit for normal use - unless you are planning to race?
It isn’t for the nitrogen. Costco in the U.S. has automatic tire fillers. You type in the desired pressure, attach it to the tire and it accurately sets the pressure for you each time. It just happens to use nitrogen to do it with.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Firestone link above says:
Nitrogen molecules are larger and slower moving than those of compressed air. Because of this, nitrogen won't seep out of your tires as quickly as air will, helping to maintain proper pressure for a longer period of time.

I suppose the nitrogen molecules that make up 80% of ordinary air must be smaller and faster moving ones then. Or is it just the oxygen that leaks out? That would leave the nitrogen behind, job done ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Firestone link above says:
Nitrogen molecules are larger and slower moving than those of compressed air. Because of this, nitrogen won't seep out of your tires as quickly as air will, helping to maintain proper pressure for a longer period of time.

I suppose the nitrogen molecules that make up 80% of ordinary air must be smaller and faster moving ones then. Or is it just the oxygen that leaks out? That would leave the nitrogen behind, job done ;)
Yes, job done but 20% less pressure, so if you fill up regularly then you are good with close to 100% nitrogen ;)
Also there is another catch, the oxygen is the "wet" part of the air and the nitrogen is "dry", so you get rid of the moisture causing negative effects. I guess moisture have more effect to pressure while the tires get warmer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The point being with nitrogen is that you do not fill up regularly. You set it and forget it. Tire pressure should not increase or decrease as much as it does with oxygen and won’t leak out as quickly or at all. Costco will actually put a car on the rack and fully deflate all tires if needed to fill with nitrogen but I didn’t want him to waste his or their time. Costco's tire center is usually pretty busy.

·
Registered
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
149 Posts
Air is already 78% nitrogen. Most of the rest is oxygen. The oxygen can cause reaction with some materials, but nothing in today's wheels and/or tires is affected. The only reason for using bottled gas is to eliminate water vapor, which can expand and contract more with temp changes than a gas (pretty much any gas) without any included water vapor.

If you're racing, it keeps your pressures more consistent, enough to matter some. On the road? No freakin' way.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Also there is another catch, the oxygen is the "wet" part of the air and the nitrogen is "dry", so you get rid of the moisture causing negative effects. I guess moisture have more effect to pressure while the tires get warmer.
Oxygen is just oxygen, it isn't wet. What I think you mean is that ordinary air extracted from the atmosphere contains moisture; but bottled nitrogen does not (neither does bottled oxygen, but that's not relevant here).

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 Long Range AWD 2022
328 Posts
This explains it. Shipped with high pressure. Dealer supposed to correct with the prep.
Let's talk about Tire Pressure

Still figuring out this site. If you scroll down this page there is a recommended reading. The list is all the threads with tires mentioned. Cool
When I picked up mine from the dealer, 3 tires were at 36 psi and one was at 26 psi. They must have forgot 🤣

·
Registered
478 Posts
Air is already 78% nitrogen. Most of the rest is oxygen. The oxygen can cause reaction with some materials, but nothing in today's wheels and/or tires is affected. The only reason for using bottled gas is to eliminate water vapor, which can expand and contract more with temp changes than a gas (pretty much any gas) without any included water vapor.

If you're racing, it keeps your pressures more consistent, enough to matter some. On the road? No freakin' way.
This what Aussie John Cadogan has to say about this (warning: bad language):

1 - 20 of 27 Posts