Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, recently ordered the new 2020 Ioniq EV. It arrived in the UK yesterday and I'm due to have it with me in the next week or so.

I thought now would be a good time to make sure I have everything prepared. So far, I've signed up to the major charging apps, zapmap + bluelink and bought a dash cam. Are there any good resources showing how to fit a dash cam in the Ioniq?

Anything else that people would suggest I do while I waited?

Someone suggested a WiFi dongle? If I can tether using my phone is that necessary?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi all, recently ordered the new 2020 Ioniq EV. It arrived in the UK yesterday and I'm due to have it with me in the next week or so.

I thought now would be a good time to make sure I have everything prepared. So far, I've signed up to the major charging apps, zapmap + bluelink and bought a dash cam. Are there any good resources showing how to fit a dash cam in the Ioniq?

Anything else that people would suggest I do while I waited?

Someone suggested a WiFi dongle? If I can tether using my phone is that necessary?
Hi there,

Zap-Map is a good app to have in the UK. Also look at abetterrouteplanner.com, it's great for planning journeys. Plan a few trial journeys with the apps to get familiar with all the filters and settings. I would definitely get a dongle and a free data sim from 3 which gives you free data each month without having to pay a penny.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there,

Zap-Map is a good app to have in the UK. Also look at abetterrouteplanner.com, it's great for planning journeys. Plan a few trial journeys with the apps to get familiar with all the filters and settings. I would definitely get a dongle and a free data sim from 3 which gives you free data each month without having to pay a penny.
Thank you for the advice and planning a few trial journeys is a good idea.

What is the dongle + free data sim for? I have 20GB on my plan. You still have to pay for the dongle, right? If you have tasker you can set it up so it turns on/off when you connect to bluetooth also.

Silly question but why would you need a dongle? Can you not tether a smart phone etc?
I think it's if your plan doesn't allow it or don't have much data.

·
Registered
431 Posts
You can tether a smart phone, but with a free data sim card from the 3 network, you don't have to pay for any data you use. I've got one in my Ioniq and it connects automatically and downloads weather and traffic data automatically.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thank you for the advice and planning a few trial journeys is a good idea.

What is the dongle + free data sim for? I have 20GB on my plan. You still have to pay for the dongle, right? If you have tasker you can set it up so it turns on/off when you connect to bluetooth also.

I think it's if your plan doesn't allow it or don't have much data.
If you've already got a data plan on your phone then you don't need the dongle. I'm on pay as you go for my phone and pay about £10 a year for my calls and texts, so a free data sim works out cheaper for me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you've already got a data plan on your phone then you don't need the dongle. I'm on pay as you go for my phone and pay about £10 a year for my calls and texts, so a free data sim works out cheaper for me.
Ah, that make sense. How much data does it include? Does anyone know how much the Ioniq consumes roughly?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ah, that make sense. How much data does it include? Does anyone know how much the Ioniq consumes roughly?
200MB a month. If my family don't use it as a wi-fi hot spot, it's usually enough to give the car traffic data on the sat-nav and weather updates etc.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Silly question but why would you need a dongle? Can you not tether a smart phone etc?
It's always there ready to go, no need to worry about having phone with you or state of its battery. Also regardless of who is driving. But if I understood a @bluecar1 comment correctly in the 2020 model it is incorporated into the sat-nav. Something I was definitely going to ask next time I am at a dealers.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
200MB a month. If my family don't use it as a wi-fi hot spot, it's usually enough to give the car traffic data on the sat-nav and weather updates etc.
If I tether my hotspot to the car can it pr
It's always there ready to go, no need to worry about having phone with you or state of its battery. Also regardless of who is driving. But if I understood a @bluecar1 comment correctly in the 2020 model it is incorporated into the sat-nav. Something I was definitely going to ask next time I am at a dealers.
Fair point. Can you send a link to the WiFi dongle??

What is incorporated into the sat nav?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Fair point. Can you send a link to the WiFi dongle??
What is incorporated into the sat nav?
The generally accepted Dongle on this forum is the Huawei E8372 LTE Wingle (available from Amazon and others). Linked with the 3 network 'free' data sim. I cannot remember the exact name but you pay £10 for the sim and get 200 mb data each month free of charge for ever which more than enough for the sat-nav.

Now this is where it gets a bit tricky. On the earlier models most people, including me, plug the dongle into the USB port in the central armrest. (I bought a short lead to move it to the tablet slot where it was less likely to be damaged). However when I was having my car serviced I sat in a Kona and discovered that there was no USB socket in the armrest. That together with @bluecar1 's comment makes me wonder whether the dongle electronics are now incorporated into the sat-nav and there is a sim slot near the sd card slot.

Possibly with the car being so new you won't find out until it is delivered. What I would say though is that the dongle idea was one of the best tips I have got from this forum.

Reactions: Metcast

·
Registered
431 Posts
The generally accepted Dongle on this forum is the Huawei E8372 LTE Wingle (available from Amazon and others). Linked with the 3 network 'free' data sim. I cannot remember the exact name but you pay £10 for the sim and get 200 mb data each month free of charge for ever which more than enough for the sat-nav.

Now this is where it gets a bit tricky. On the earlier models most people, including me, plug the dongle into the USB port in the central armrest. (I bought a short lead to move it to the tablet slot where it was less likely to be damaged). However when I was having my car serviced I sat in a Kona and discovered that there was no USB socket in the armrest. That together with @bluecar1 's comment makes me wonder whether the dongle electronics are now incorporated into the sat-nav and there is a sim slot near the sd card slot.

Possibly with the car being so new you won't find out until it is delivered. What I would say though is that the dongle idea was one of the best tips I have got from this forum.
Correction: The sim card from 3 is free and you don't need to put any credit on it either to get the 200MB of data. I only paid for the Huawei dongle, and I agree, it's one of the best things I've put in the car.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Correction: The sim card from 3 is free and you don't need to put any credit on it either to get the 200MB of data. I only paid for the Huawei dongle, and I agree, it's one of the best things I've put in the car.
You were lucky then :). That is what I thought was the case but I ended up having to pay £10. (I have two sim cards the free one that I could not get to roll over to the next month, and the one I paid for which is fine). Don't begrudge the £10 though as it is a good deal.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I presume the new model with the in built sim wont need this?
If it has a built in sim then it won't. If you can confirm that it does indeed have a sim slot then it answers our question and concludes this nicely.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You were lucky then :). That is what I thought was the case but I ended up having to pay £10. (I have two sim cards the free one that I could not get to roll over to the next month, and the one I paid for which is fine). Don't begrudge the £10 though as it is a good deal.
Luckily I already have the sim from when I got it for someone else. Thanks for the dongle suggestion.

If it has a built in sim then it won't. If you can confirm that it does indeed have a sim slot then it answers our question and concludes this nicely.
I've never heard of the new one having a built-in sim? Any info online? @philsuarez

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've never heard of the new one having a built-in sim? Any info online? @philsuarez
Yup 2020 model has a built in SIM, here's an excerpt from an article about it and the interface with Bluelink:

The system runs on its own SIM card, so connection to a mobile phone with a data plan is not necessary. Through the connection, live traffic, parking and weather information can be delivered, as well as live charging point locations and status in the Ioniq Plug-In and Ioniq Electric.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts