Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife hit a curb with the tire of her 2019 Ioniq PHEV, destroyed the tire, scratched the rim and bent the left side tie rods. AAA is calling the dealer on Monday but thought I would check here to see if anyone knows of sources of parts other than the dealer...and if these are the same as used on other Hyundai models, might be a less expensive way to get them. Any information appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think they are made from a gold alloy based on the price even with 25% off...

BTW please check for the correct fitment for US... it may be showing the UK right hand drive version.
That may not be the part that is bent. More than likely it is the part number 56540 A that is bent. It is the ball joint assy. The inner ball joint assy. is more likely to bend than the tie rod end. The 56540A i about $40 US.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got the part numbers from the AAA shop :
56540-F2300
56820-G2000

For which he quoted $199 and $219 (or $299 did not hear clearly). I just found them online for appx. $60 and $70.
This is insanity. $500 vs $130?

What experiences do people have with online parts vendors? Planning on ordering these today.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
155 Posts
Inner tie rod is a thick chunk of steel. I'd check the steering rack for damages as that is aluminium made and probably will get cracked somewhere long before the inner tie rod bends.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Inner tie rod is a thick chunk of steel. I'd check the steering rack for damages as that is aluminium made and probably will get cracked somewhere long before the inner tie rod bends.
I doubt the rack is cracked. Part 5640A F2300 is more than likely all you will need. The tie rod end rarely bends. You could do this yourself and then take it to a alignment shop after the repair.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took it to a friend with a shop, he replaced the 2 bent components, something is still not right. I'll mention the steering rack.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Might want to try swapping the damaged wheel to the rear so it's away from the steering and you can then remove that from the list of possible issues. Then check alignment as suggested if you still have issues.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Might want to try swapping the damaged wheel to the rear so it's away from the steering and you can then remove that from the list of possible issues. Then check alignment as suggested if you still have issues.
I thought the damaged wheel was replaced.

·
Registered
374 Posts
He said the wheel was scratched eg visible signs of damage. The op did not say it was swapped and finding $400+ for a wheel trim let alone an alloy wheel would be beyond the perceived budget.
Sounds like a trip to a breakers yard for a steering rack, which the op mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
8,102 Posts
and the kia niro and hyundai kona

find the part number of the bit you need then google it you should find which models they fit

the EU was good about 10-15 years ago, they made it illegal for car companies to use common part between diffierent make and give the same part a different part number and price depending on model, EG skoda octavia wipers fitted various VW and AUDI models, but VW charge more than skoda, and audi charged more than VW for the same part, so you had audi drivers (in disguise as they would never want to be seen in a SKODA dealer, oh their street cred would be busted) going to skoda to buy their wipers to save nearly 50% for the same part

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After the parts replacement, was the front end aligned?
He was unable to align the suspension after replacing the 2 bent tie rod parts, says something else is wrong but he is not familiar enough with the Ioniq to determine that. We did not replace the alloy wheel.

The car is pulling slightly. We called the dealer and they want $130 just to look at it.

I have a new Elantra steel rim I can put on the car. The only difference is the size of the center hole.

Thanks for any additional suggestions.

Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That may not be the part that is bent. More than likely it is the part number 56540 A that is bent. It is the ball joint assy. The inner ball joint assy. is more likely to bend than the tie rod end. The 56540A i about $40 US.
Would this be something obvious that he would be able to see the damage, or if he is not familiar, would he have to order this part to compare?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He said the wheel was scratched eg visible signs of damage. The op did not say it was swapped and finding $400+ for a wheel trim let alone an alloy wheel would be beyond the perceived budget.
Sounds like a trip to a breakers yard for a steering rack, which the op mentioned.
I can't say that I have a budget, but if the wheel is OK (despite the damage), I'd rather just keep using the scratched alloy for now.

Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Maybe just switch the wheel to the rear... No cost fault elimination
I just had a conversation with the first mechanic. After replacing the inner and outer tie rod ends, the left front camber is off by -1.4 degrees. He recommended the dealership after mentioning that a part could be out of tolerance by 1mm, and he does not how to check that, given his lack of experience with the vehicle. It would involve replacing parts and seeing if they fixed the problem, which could get expensive.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
Can you fit camber compensating bolts and adjust to suit? The strut turret hasn't moved in the accident I hope, only solution then is a jig.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts