Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to have the windshield on my 2017 Hyundai Ioniq replaced for the THIRD time. (3 different pebbles)
I have never had this many problems. Am I the only one?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have to have the windshield on my 2017 Hyundai Ioniq replaced for the THIRD time. (3 different pebbles)
I have never had this many problems. Am I the only one?
Welcome to the forum.

So we can help you, please tell us where you are from by filling in your location info under Edit Your Details in the User CP section. This is an international forum with many differences between countries. And while not necessarily applicable to your current question, adding your powertrain variant and trim level to your signature is also helpful.

That said, there are a couple of people on this forum who have had to have their windshields replaced, but I don't think more than once per person. But the majority of people on here have not needed this. It could be just down to dumb unfortunate luck. Do you drive a lot on unpaved roads? It's not exactly an off-roader, after all. What is the terrain like where you are?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I've had to replace mine once. That was from a large rock that was kicked up by a dump truck. It was replaced with an OEM windshield and I've had no more issues. The car has about 46000 miles on it now in less than two years and has taken more than one hit in that time.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I had mine replaced about six months ago because of my stupidity. I touched the wiper arm while the blade was removed for treatment. the wiper arm, with out the blade, hit the windshield and cracked it. Replaced with the original Hyundai windshield and never have any related problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had to replace my windshield too. I caught a pebble rock at the extreme top of the windshield and a 6” crack soon spread. I used an after-market replacement which cost $600. The defroster sensor hasn’t worked right since as my auto defrost comes on all the time, unnessarily. I must have the dealer examine this under warranty.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I had mine replaced at about 15000 miles due to a rock hit that spread into a crack top to bottom in the driver's field of view. They used a Hyundai windshield as there were no aftermarket products available. Since then I've gotten 2 more rock chips that I was able to have filled quickly so they won't turn into cracks. I'd agree the windshield may be a little more susceptible than other cars, but it could also be unlucky timing.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I’ve had to replace my windshield too. I caught a pebble rock at the extreme top of the windshield and a 6” crack soon spread. I used an after-market replacement which cost $600. The defroster sensor hasn’t worked right since as my auto defrost comes on all the time, unnessarily. I must have the dealer examine this under warranty.
The same thing happened to me. The company that installed the windshield botched the job and the auto-defogger was one of the things that stopped working properly. When they fixed the job by replacing the windshield again, it started working properly. I assume they didn't plug it in properly the first time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just wandering these forums looking to get people's experiences with windshield replacements. I just got one pretty bad yesterday that propagated to three cracks near the top of the windshield just behind the rearview mirror; one of the cracks extends to the upper edge of the glass. I'll likely have to get it replaced which I'm really not looking forward to.

Does anyone know if replacing it somewhere other than the dealership would result in a voided warranty? I was thinking of taking it to Speedy Glass because it's closeby and that's pretty much all they do.

Also, it doesn't really matter how close you are to the cars in front or what kind of road you're on. If it's not your day, it's not your day. I got hit yesterday during clear conditions on a paved highway. It took a while but I found the moment on my dashcam footage. I had heard it occur but didn't notice the chip until the cracks formed Thursday afternoon.

·
Registered
487 Posts
It looks like you were following ~130ft behind the car in front of you. At 60 MPH that is less than 1.5 seconds of following time. The two second rule is a standard in the UK and the National Safety Council in the US suggests you abide by the 3 second rule instead.

So, your following distance should, by most recommending bodies, have been between 25-100% longer than it was when the stone hit your window. It might not have hit the window if you weren't following so close.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It looks like you were following ~130ft behind the car in front of you. At 60 MPH that is less than 1.5 seconds of following time. The two second rule is a standard in the UK and the National Safety Council in the US suggests you abide by the 3 second rule instead.

So, your following distance should, by most recommending bodies, have been between 25-100% longer than it was when the stone hit your window. It might not have hit the window if you weren't following so close.
My experience in the UK is that it is an impossibility to follow at that distance as vehicles cut in ad take the gap you have created and even with ACC it still happens when on 4 bars and car slowing down to maintain the gap, whilsts it is a good system it does add driving time to your journey

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

With ACC, I don't feel that distance is necessary anymore. The car can react instantly to the car in front. My car has slowed down suddenly before I even realized that the car in front had slowed down and would have had time to react myself and I do pay attention while I'm driving, even with ACC on.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My experience in the UK is that it is an impossibility to follow at that distance as vehicles cut in ad take the gap you have created and even with ACC it still happens when on 4 bars and car slowing down to maintain the gap, whilsts it is a good system it does add driving time to your journey
Not an excuse, just move over to the slow lane.

·
Registered
487 Posts
With ACC, I don't feel that distance is necessary anymore. The car can react instantly to the car in front. My car has slowed down suddenly before I even realized that the car in front had slowed down and would have had time to react myself and I do pay attention while I'm driving, even with ACC on.
ACC won't avoid something that falls off of a car. The reaction times to avoid road hazards are still relevant... including rocks kicked up by tires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
11 Participants
IsntItIoniq
Hyundai IONIQ Forum
A community of Hyundai Ioniq enthusiasts discussing the electric acceleration & reliability of the Hyundai ioniq hybrid.
Full Forum Listing