Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One major contributing factor to Hyundai's rise in the last decade has been the 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty on all of its vehicles. If this warranty is offered on the Ioniq (no reason why it won't be), the Ioniq will have a significant edge on all competitors; no one else offers such a warranty on their hybrids or EVs. Given the unknown longevity of Hyundai's EV tech, and long-term concerns with EV tech in general, the fact that Hyundai's warranty will cover me makes the Ioniq the clear winner in this space.

Here is Hyundai's hybrid warranty from their website:

The reasons to buy a Prius are discharged by the day.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hyundai deserves much praise for stepping into the hybrid arena and offering much needed competition to Toyota--especially in this era of cheaper gasoline. Honda's rumored 2-motor hybrid 10th gen Civic never materialized and they dropped the Accord PHEV this year. Compact hybrids in the US market are few and subcompact hybrids are non-existent, except for the Prius C. I'm very interested to see more info on this Ioniq.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree - a 10 year warranty on a hybrid is a big deal!

Hyundai's rise is also attributable to the increasing quality of their cars. I'm watching with much interest.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hyundai and Kia are some of the only brands that offer long warranties. Most brands have cut back on warranties. It's one reason why I am drawn to the brand.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The warranty is very much needed and not just for the ioniq plug in hybrid but for electric too. There's so many components that can break down when it comes to electric so it's good to have that peace of mind with that lifetime battery warranty.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The warranty is very much needed and not just for the ioniq plug in hybrid but for electric too. There's so many components that can break down when it comes to electric so it's good to have that peace of mind with that lifetime battery warranty.
Yup, especially at this stage when everything is still sort of new. Once tech has been around for long enough that refinements have been made then we can be more trustworthy of it.

I think its for this reason that some brands are still focused on Hybrids and not full all out EV's just yet. Waiting for those advancements

·
Registered
169 Posts
This may also push people to buy the vehicle instead of lease. People may be worried that the battery will deteriorate over time and replacement won't be cheap but since it's insured for the lifetime of the car then this problem is no longer relevant especially in the electric variant.

A lot of Nissan Leafs were leased and once those leases ended, there were an excess of them on lots. this could solve the problem for Hyundai.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Indeed, with warranty terms that long it takes away a major barrier and concern. Some people are walking into this expecting to see 5-6 years and average mileage that reflects that time span but for the budget minded person that is factoring in the long haul... this is almost a no brainier.

·
Registered
87 Posts
"Needed" isn't the word i would use. Most other brands don't offer such generous warranties. But the Ioniq's better warranty is certainly a great selling point, and it says something about how much Hyundai believes in the quality of its vehicles.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It should be one of those things that make it a sweeter deal for those that aren't too knowledgeable about cars and just want whatever gets the most bang for their buck.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You can say that, but i'm sure they're finding ways to work that into the cost of the car or just found ways to be frugal enough with production that their profit margin is high to a point that extra time frame means nothing to them, in comparison to the overall win.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't think its worked into the price of the car, I think that it is based on the rate of warranty claims over time. Perhaps the cost of claims to the company in that period is worked into the price,or maybe they just add a bit to the car and that would be the price of the extended warranty in the first place. No way to know for sure, nor is it necessarily true it is that simple of a calculation.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yeah it's tough to say how it actually is worked out but the important thing is that we have it available to us, at least it's one more perk to owning the Ioniq.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, they can leave a lot more out of the limited factory warranty to cover the hybrid battery warranty. Hard to say where they are getting the money from or if the starter generator, etc starts deteriorating after 10 year and by then they wouldn't be liable to cover for them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just so we have some details right, I just wanted to mention that Jaguar also offers a pretty great warranty -- 5 years, 60,000 miles.

Check out this quote:

The standard warranty is also getting a significant boost, growing to five years and 60,000 miles. Those with a good memory will recall that an extra-long basic warranty was a strategy Hyundai used successfully when that brand had earned itself a reputation for shoddiness. Hyundai really did improve its manufacturing quality, though it took a while. We’d love to see Jaguar pull the same turn-around.
2016 Jaguar Models Lower Prices Better Warranties - Consumer Reports

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just because on paper they say you have a 10 year warranty, they actually have to take responsibility when something does go wrong with the vehicle. My experience with Hyundai is that their warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. :(

·
Super Moderator
1,595 Posts
This face looks a bit said...
Is it not just the case that they replace parts for free when something is wrong, since they gave this warranty?

·
Registered
326 Posts
This face looks a bit said...
Is it not just the case that they replace parts for free when something is wrong, since they gave this warranty?
I suspect that the OP is upset as most manufacturers use fair wear and tear as a get out clause .

I have never had a Hyundai ( waiting for my ioniq ) and cannot comment..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts