Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I currently drive a 2004 VW Bora TDI Highline in the deep, dark, damp depths of Wales (UK).
I don't like far enough away from work to make the best use of the diesel engine (only about 10miles each way) so as a result across a whole tank I am only getting 45mpg....:|

Recently my wife has bought her first ever (new) car, a VW Up! and I grew jealous of its lack of age related rattles, it's awesome MPG and it's new toys.

A while back I looked into hybrids and saw that my options were either:

• A 2010 shape Prius (out of warrenty so didn't like that idea)
  • A new shape Prius (too expensive for very little in the way of toys and it looks really, really, ugly)
  • A Yaris (too small, I like having a big boot)
  • A Auris (Looks ok but the CVT made me sad)
  • Lexus CT200H (A Auris in a pretty dress but the interior and exterior was MUCH more appealing to me)
I then found out about the Ioniq, the fact it looked great, the great sounding MPG, a sensible gearbox, loads of great toys and cheaper than a Prius (though still outside of my budget :( )

I went for a test drive and fell in love.

As soon as this is on the affinity Scheme I will be looking into a purchase, but even if I bought a Demonstrator I wouldn't be able to afford it at the moment.:(
I've even gotten the wife on board (more usable boot space than the Bora, 5* NCAP so safer when babies pop up, etc) and she says when/if I get a promotion in work I don't even need to consult her before making an order. >:)

Does anyone know if Hyundai let you re-finance the final payment of the PCP?

If not I plan on Leasing it and getting the newer version in 3yrs time as the salesman explained that that worked out around 4k cheaper over 3 years.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
mine is on PCP, I looked at PCH (contract hire) it is more affordable

BUT

unlike PCP I you go over your agreed mileage on PCH you WILL be charged excess mileage, so you have to over estimate your mileage,

where as PCP so long as you are in the right ball park you are alright as the Part-ex price will take mileage into account then it is down to you to wait until you are out of negative equity before you swap or as I had to put some extra cash in to pay the negative equity and some for a deposit

my problem was my i20 was on a 12,000 / year PCP but I changed jobs and was putting 30,000 / year which ment I would never get out of negative equity

one thing you will find is the Ioniq will struggle to do less 55mpg even short runs unless you have a lead foot on the loud peddle, even driving in central London last week and M25 in rush hour I still got ovr 60mpg, (click on my ioniq in my signature and you will see my mpg figures on fuelly)

so depending on how often you fill up you have a fuel bill will be 75% or less than current :)

my premium hybrid was group 20E insurance on admiral or others it is std goup 10 so you may have cheaper insurance as well

my wife has the skoda citigo (skoda equiv of up) and that's a little go kart :)

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
As far as fuel efficiency goes , I picked mine up today . The 80 mile drive from Weston Super Mare to sunny Wales gave me a return of 64 .7 mpg . Not entirely used to the car yet , so I may get better . Going through the manuals may take a couple of months :) . The true test will be when I start driving over the mountain roads next week

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mine is on PCP, I looked at PCH (contract hire) it is more affordable
BUT
unlike PCP I you go over your agreed mileage on PCH you WILL be charged excess mileage, so you have to over estimate your mileage,
where as PCP so long as you are in the right ball park you are alright as the Part-ex price will take mileage into account then it is down to you to wait until you are out of negative equity before you swap or as I had to put some extra cash in to pay the negative equity and some for a deposit
my problem was my i20 was on a 12,000 / year PCP but I changed jobs and was putting 30,000 / year which ment I would never get out of negative equity
Thanks for the heads up. I usually do around 8000mls a year and had quotes based off 10000 so good to know I got the correct quote for them! As you owned an I20 before, how do you find hyundai to deal with? And I don't suppose you know if the final payment on the PCP option can be re-financed if I wanted to keep the car at the end do you?
(I've never bought brand new except helping my wife buy hers)

one thing you will find is the Ioniq will struggle to do less 55mpg even short runs unless you have a lead foot on the loud peddle, even driving in central London last week and M25 in rush hour I still got ovr 60mpg, (click on my ioniq in my signature and you will see my mpg figures on fuelly)
so depending on how often you fill up you have a fuel bill will be 75% or less than current :)
That's great to know! I usually stick to just under the speed limit, the exception to that is on the motorway when I am usually 5mph over (it's easier to go the speed of the overtaking traffic constantly rather than constantly needing to overtake people going 60 or trying to match their speed). However with the Ioniq I imagine I'll be sticking to around 60 on the motorway because of the adaptive cruise control!
I imagine I will be saving around £20 a month which is pretty good! (not to mention petrol is cheaper than diesel so that will help too!)

my premium hybrid was group 20E insurance on admiral or others it is std goup 10 so you may have cheaper insurance as well
I was told group 10 in the dealers too, I'm currently with Admiral.. If they tried getting me to pay a group 20 price I'll be swapping faster than they will be able to offer a reduction! My current car is group 16 so when I did a quote (on the dealer's demo) it came out as £30 a year cheaper which is handy!

my wife has the skoda citigo (skoda equiv of up) and that's a little go kart :)
It's a great little car and has quite a lot of toys considering it's size.
I tried getting her to get the CitiGo actually (mainly for price) but she couldn't see past the big shiny VW badge :rolleyes: She plans on keeping the car at the end of the finance though so I supose it's best she had something she really liked!

Also, thanks for all the information you've been posting about your car. I wanted the Ioniq since the test-drive and finding out all these cool little bits and pieces is helping pass the time until I am able to get one myself. :D
The thing that is really annoying is I really wanted a Polar White one with Bronze trim/stitching, but I can't go electric :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as fuel efficiency goes , I picked mine up today . The 80 mile drive from Weston Super Mare to sunny Wales gave me a return of 64 .7 mpg . Not entirely used to the car yet , so I may get better . Going through the manuals may take a couple of months :) . The true test will be when I start driving over the mountain roads next week
That's great to know. Also don't forget, most cars won't get their full MPG until after a couple of thousand miles so it'll jump up from that too.:)

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
i think these will take longer to run in as te petrol engine is not running a lot of the time

mines got 2500 on the clock already, I have put 1400 mile on it in a fortnight (told you I do a lot of miles) so I will be able to keep you updated on the running in period

the group 20e is on the 1-50 scale, the group 10 is on the 1-20 scale Hyundai | Car Insurance Groups | Honest John

so 20e is actually about 8 on the 1 to 20 scale, so admiral seem to have it lower than the group 10

my ioniq is costing me £70 extra than my i20 which was group 6 on the 1-20 scale for 10 months to next renewal and is double the value and power of it so less than £100 / year more is a steal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts