Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2019 Ioniq Electric, 2022 Ioniq 5 Limited
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in New England where power is expensive it’s still less expensive to drive an electric Ioniq 5. Some quick equivalents based on todays fuel costs: 73.5 MPG with $3.80 per gallon for gas or 112 MPG with Diesel at $5.80. I do get community Solar at a 15% discount (not included in these costs) so it’s actually even better better.

Attachments

· Registered
51 Posts
Are you finding the app comparison accurate for miles/kWh? Some great cost savings there.

I have a spreadsheet where I log my data and note average gas prices. At some point I need to draft a comparison for mileage driven comparing electricity vs gas. I just need to settle on what MPG I want to use.

· Registered
2019 Ioniq Electric, 2022 Ioniq 5 Limited
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Are you finding the app comparison accurate for miles/kWh? Some great cost savings there.

I have a spreadsheet where I log my data and note average gas prices. At some point I need to draft a comparison for mileage driven comparing electricity vs gas. I just need to settle on what MPG I want to use.
Well my car says 3.5 -3.6 since new (Picked up on 9/29), so that's pretty accurate I think, within a few percent. Charge-point does not compensate for winter, which is coming soon and we will see a 25% plus drop as it gets cooler. So it's 1413/381=3.7 M/kWh which I think is pretty close (I had one run at 335 miles on a charge from 100%-1% which is 4.46 mi/kWh).

You should calculate your "cost per mile" on Electricity, then simply take 1/(cost per mile/cost of gas per gallon) for the true equivalent MPG.

I tracked my 2019 Ioniq EV for a full year, even when gas was in the $2's per gallon. What a great efficient car! I am buying out my lease soon. Attached is my file I used.

Attachments

· Registered
87 Posts
I've done 5250 miles and the total cost is £380 ( GBP ) , that includes £180 ( about 1500 miles worth ) of DC charging. In my old car the same miles would of cost about £1500 so I'm quite pleased so far. If my household electric kw goes up they are saying it will ( a 75% increase ) I won't be as pleased but it will still be cheaper to run especially with the price of UK diesel being almost £2 a litre

· Registered
Ioniq 5 SE AWD
344 Posts
Our first 7,500 miles of driving the SE AWD model of the Ioniq 5 costs us $104. Most of our charging has been done at home at $0.11/kWh. We've used some free public charging when available and free EA on a 1,200 mile road trip. We have roof top solar so it is probably even less.

· Registered
2022 IONIQ5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
1,514 Posts
That's awesome. If i take my average on the highway of 3.5 kWh/mi that would be about 403 kWh to drive 1413 miles, at $15 service fee a month for EV charging and $0.18 a kWh factoring in delivery and generation charges that would be $87.54 for San Diego, not to bad for the most expensive market in the country :p. With a blend of home and fast charging though I'm averaging ~$20 a month and have traveled roughly 7,000 miles since February.

· Registered
2023 IONIQ 5 AWD PLR
19 Posts
Well my car says 3.5 -3.6 since new (Picked up on 9/29), so that's pretty accurate I think, within a few percent. Charge-point does not compensate for winter, which is coming soon and we will see a 25% plus drop as it gets cooler. So it's 1413/381=3.7 M/kWh which I think is pretty close (I had one run at 335 miles on a charge from 100%-1% which is 4.46 mi/kWh).

You should calculate your "cost per mile" on Electricity, then simply take 1/(cost per mile/cost of gas per gallon) for the true equivalent MPG.

I tracked my 2019 Ioniq EV for a full year, even when gas was in the $2's per gallon. What a great efficient car! I am buying out my lease soon. Attached is my file I used.
Great work done !

· Registered
187 Posts
Here in New England where power is expensive it’s still less expensive to drive an electric Ioniq 5. Some quick equivalents based on todays fuel costs: 73.5 MPG with $3.80 per gallon for gas or 112 MPG with Diesel at $5.80. I do get community Solar at a 15% discount (not included in these costs) so it’s actually even better better.
What app is this?

· Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited
323 Posts
What app is this?
Looks like the ChargePoint app. I have it because my home EVSE is a ChargePoint Home Flex.

One problem with that app is that it has a canned estimate for mi/kWh based on the car you specify that it uses for the mileage calculation. I have never found a way to put my actual measured mi/kWh into the app to give me more accurate mileage numbers.

So I have a spreadsheet that I update each month with my actual miles driven, the kWh put into the car, and the money spent on charging for the month. One thing pulling the cost number down is the free EA charging on road trips.

· Registered
216 Posts
Looks like the ChargePoint app. I have it because my home EVSE is a ChargePoint Home Flex.

One problem with that app is that it has a canned estimate for mi/kWh based on the car you specify that it uses for the mileage calculation. I have never found a way to put my actual measured mi/kWh into the app to give me more accurate mileage numbers.

So I have a spreadsheet that I update each month with my actual miles driven, the kWh put into the car, and the money spent on charging for the month. One thing pulling the cost number down is the free EA charging on road trips.
@cmwade77

Personally, I'd trust Chargepoint for accurate information on saving me money charging an EV about as little as I'd trust an Exxon app telling me how much I'd save driving an ICE car. They're vested in giving you inflated numbers to make their product look totally awesome dude. And don't get me started on the LSD-induced MPGe metric and how that calculation can never be realized in the universe we call reality. LOL

I, too, keep detailed spreadsheets on my EV miles, EV charging elsewhere besides home, power bills, what my natural gas bills would be if I didn't convert them to electric ones, and my cost at the pump would be like if we were still driving an ICE those miles. I also export data from my solar inverters into a SQL Server database and run numbers on it too when I get my power bill to see how much kWh I consumed that month, how little of that was pulled from the grid, how much the true cost per kWh the grid charged me for (after subtracting flat monthly rate, fees and riders to derive the true cost per kWh with many riders and tax). For the cost of gas I look at the cheapest near me on the day I get my power bill and assume that cost was for the entire month. I promise you, nobody gives us the real numbers. If you want real numbers you'll have to calculate them yourself.

Then you get into things like my car insurance is $70/month more than it was when our main car was an old used ICE crossover --- but that extra $70 also means full coverage instead of liability only (why have full coverage when you're driving an old used car anyway?). Plus paying interest on a car loan: it's a low fixed interest but it's a new concept to my wife and me since the I5 is the first new car in our marriage. Then there's the installation costs for two 240V circuits (it's a trick to charge the car cheaper with free solar power if it's available, but if necessary charge it with constant power though that might involve pulling power from the grid). That's a one-time cost, but still relevant. Then there's the tax credits that will be nice when I get them soon --- except that they artificially inflated my costs to begin with.

Yet with all of that I'm still very happy I chose the I5 and went solar both as a fun riding experience and as a relief from not worrying nearly as much when the political class keeps bigly raising energy costs like they keep promising to do.

· Registered
187 Posts
I used to do the spreadsheet thing and all, now I simply calculate the cost per mile by dividing the per kwh price by the number of miles per kwh that I am getting and multiply by our CMAXs MPG to figure out what the cost would equate to for a gallon of gas.

· Registered
216 Posts
Got my power bill this morning. Cost per kWh (after removing fixed monthly fees) is up 19.5% compared to the January bill a year ago. Charging the EV at home now costs 19.5% more per mile! NINETEEN POINT FIVE PERCENT!

If you like cheap power for charging your EV you can keep it. End of quote. End of line.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts