Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
What aspect of the gravity gold paint care are you concerned about?

edit: I did some research on matte paint and I think I see its shortcomings now.
It's mainly fine scratches that you can normally buff out with polish which you can't do with matte otherwise you end up with a gloss section, and if you enjoy waxing your car then that will not be available either. I had a matte car a few years back and I really missed not being able to polish it and seeing that lovely gloss finish. Matte is also a lot harder to paint match if you ever need a repair. Personally after owning a matte car I wouldn't buy another one but on the positive side I expect Hyundai will charge extra for the matte finish on the configurable cars so those who have ordered Gravity gold will have a little bonus.

Hyundai should have made it clearer on the configurator that Gravity Gold was matte I did see some reference to the paint being matte on some 3rd party websites but no mention when I placed the order for the 45.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What aspect of the gravity gold paint care are you concerned about?

edit: I did some research on matte paint and I think I see its shortcomings now.
The caring for it. Mild scratches should be fine - in fact may not be visible, but anything more significant is basically impossible to repair. No polishing of the clearcoat. Protection is also harder - no waxing, though there are some professional coatings I believe.

I'm now more educated - I do think it looks good, and figure that's probably not going to be a deciding point as to whether I stick with the 45. Still a bit hung up on the range figures (cf long range m3 - with it's format comprimises!)

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, it seems the UK government has decided to immediately remove the PICG from all new EV’s costing over £35000. This increases the price for the Project 45 by £3500 and is putting me off the purchase....

Well the Ioniq 5 is not unique in losing the grant, any car with a RRP of over £35k will lose it so I’m no sure what your options are if you’re looking for that type of vehicle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just paid the £1000 deposit to Hyundai ViP after receiving an email inviting me to pay. They also confirmed the increased price to £48k. The terms allow a full refund right up to purchase date if i change my mind for any reason. This gives me more time to mull things over.
The final spec is still not finalised due to the following....
” The homologation of the IONIQ 5 is still under process by the time you are reserving the Vehicle. To this end, we are not able to inform you about all technical specifications, including end-use and emissions data, for the Vehicle.”

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
173 Posts
They have a lower-power ? 2WD ? version coming along, but will be later arriving, sure to be cheaper!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just paid the £1000 deposit to Hyundai ViP after receiving an email inviting me to pay. They also confirmed the increased price to £48k. The terms allow a full refund right up to purchase date if i change my mind for any reason. This gives me more time to mull things over.
The final spec is still not finalised due to the following....
” The homologation of the IONIQ 5 is still under process by the time you are reserving the Vehicle. To this end, we are not able to inform you about all technical specifications, including end-use and emissions data, for the Vehicle.”
48k a lot of money for what is consider a non 'premium' brand. Personally I think they will all have to look a pricing again once Tesla Model Y/3 start rolling out of Berlin in Summer 2021. If you look at the current pricing of Model 3 that includes approx 1700 euro for shipping from the west coast USA (or china), 10% import tax and it's expected reduced costs of production due to casting so this could easily add up to 6500 euro ( £5400) price reduction that would make a long range model3/y substantially cheaper than £48k. I know Ioniq 5 got 800volt charging and vehicle to load but in the UK is this really a big selling point most public chargers are 50kw or if you are lucky 100kw, I have own a Jaguar I-Pace for a year now and if you are lucky enough to have a driving way 99% of charging done there at 7kw and I can't really see anyone taking a threadmill or a oven on a trip with them to use the V2L feature.

·
Super Moderator
1,736 Posts
Together with my son, yesterday I had half an hour to see (inside and outside) exactly the Project 45 car we reserved. Our live impression was very positive. We already knew almost everything, so almost no surprising new info.

However, one thing they told about the use of CarPlay was that when you put your phone on the wireless phone charger you get a wireless CarPlay connection as well.

Another thing is whether or not you can drive more economically when AWD is off. In a french manual, it is indicated that then you get about 5% better efficiency, which means about 20 km more range. In Sport mode, it is always on, but not in a Normal or Eco mode according to this manual as then it comes on automatically only whenever appropriate. However, they told us yesterday that in the Project 45 car it is always on. Now it is not so clear whether they meant it is really on all the time or only whenever appropriate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Jan, Thx for sharing your insights!
Wireless => availability would have been my expectation due to the fact that the Kona having this feature since 2020 ... Linking it with charging is even better ;-)
RWD => I doubt they would not allow the standard behavior (add FWD in case of low grip) in the Project 45...

One more question: how do you perceive the materials and finish in the cabin (steering, knobs, panels, drive mode switcher, center console)? Is the level up to premium brands (e.g. BMW X3) or lower? Hopefully interior build quality provides not a similar plastic cheap feel as the ID.3...
Cheers, Alex

·
Super Moderator
1,736 Posts
For me, it is difficult to compare with premium brands as I don't have personal experience with them. However, someone else from the Dutch forum with more experience wrote that he was positively surprised by the good quality of these attributes in the cabin.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
31 Posts
We’re you pleased with the gold Matt paint? Is the car interior different and as roomy and “lounge like” as they say?

I remember mention of some kind of a removable shelf or table in the front area, do you know anything about it?

Doesn’t it have a drivetrain disconnect for the front axel to remove its mechanical loss when all wheel drive isn’t needed, in the interest of efficiency? I am sure it’s not engaged when not required.

How long do you have to wait for delivery?

·
Super Moderator
1,736 Posts
We’re you pleased with the gold Matt paint? Is the car interior different and as roomy and “lounge like” as they say?
Yes, we were very happy with that color. It is just silver as it was showing at the location there, but they told us if there is a yellow color or sunshine around, it has a slight golden shine in it, but we did not see that there ourselves.
I remember mention of some kind of a removable shelf or table in the front area, do you know anything about it?
It is movable, I don't think removable, we have moved it forward and backward. This feature is only available in the higher versions.
Doesn’t it have a drivetrain disconnect for the front axel to remove its mechanical loss when all wheel drive isn’t needed, in the interest of efficiency? I am sure it’s not engaged when not required.
Yes, such a disconnect happens in Normal and Eco mode, automatically without an option for manual control. In a french manual, it is indeed indicated like that, with about 5% better efficiency, which is about 20 km more range. Only in Sport mode, the AWD is always on. However, the Hyundai people at the location put it a bit confusing like 'in this Project 45 version AWD is always on'. Probably this has to be interpreted as that you cannot put AWD off manually.
How long do you have to wait for delivery?
They are currently building the 3000 Project 45 cars for Europe. There are some disruptions concerning the availability of the microchips that are needed. Delivery is expected 'in summer', which can be any month from June to August.

Added:
Is the car interior different and as roomy and “lounge like” as they say?
Yes there is a lot of room both for people and for things. The movable back seats (not for all versions) are very useful to create space where you want it.

·
Super Moderator
1,736 Posts
Yes, such a disconnect happens in Normal and Eco mode, automatically without an option for manual control. In a french manual, it is indeed indicated like that, with about 5% better efficiency, which is about 20 km more range. Only in Sport mode, the AWD is always on. However, the Hyundai people at the location put it a bit confusing like 'in this Project 45 version AWD is always on'. Probably this has to be interpreted as that you cannot put AWD off manually.
In a contact with another Hyundai Netherlands representative this has now indeed been confirmed:
He indicated about the AWD that it is in principle switched off in eco mode and provides assistance when circumstances require it.

Reactions: KrPtNk

·
Registered
26 Posts
In a contact with another Hyundai Netherlands representative this has now indeed been confirmed:
The slight clunkiness of that arrangement (Unless, I guess, the system is really good at choosing when to engage itself) and the relatively small efficiency gain (Assuming that 5% number is accurate) aside, part-time AWD systems in EVs are really ridiculously good idea, and props to Hyundai for building that capability into E-GMP. Why have the second motor engaged when it's just burning energy and probably 90% of the time you're not benefitting from it? I was actually debating with a friend of mine whether this was even possible a few months ago (I'm rather curious about how the system works, presuming it doesn't hurt reliability).

·
Registered
2020 Kona Highlander electric
64 Posts
It’s pretty old technology, so I presume it would work like my old Mitsubishi PHEV. Not the same vehicle of course, but the PHEV had 3 motors: front wheel electric; rear wheel electric; and front wheel ICE. The motors activity was able to be displayed on the centre console. Under full power all 3 engaged, but when cruising usually only the FWD was working. Occasionally 4WD engaged on steep hills. Rarely saw the RWD operating by itself. Operation was seamless - if it wasn’t for the display (& sound of ICE when used) I would have been totally unaware of which engine(s) were operating.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It’s pretty old technology, so I presume it would work like my old Mitsubishi PHEV. Not the same vehicle of course, but the PHEV had 3 motors: front wheel electric; rear wheel electric; and front wheel ICE. The motors activity was able to be displayed on the centre console. Under full power all 3 engaged, but when cruising usually only the FWD was working. Occasionally 4WD engaged on steep hills. Rarely saw the RWD operating by itself. Operation was seamless - if it wasn’t for the display (& sound of ICE when used) I would have been totally unaware of which engine(s) were operating.
As I understand it, this is deemed AWD rather than 4WD (though, in the context of an EV, I'm not sure it makes too much difference). Anyway, my guess is that the front motor's output shaft has a clutch of some sort that meshes with the reduction gear to physically disconnect the motor from the drive system. In any case, you're right that part time 4WD is nothing new, but as far as I know it's a relative novelty in EVs for some reason (maybe the extra mechanical complexity?)

Yep, if I'm interpreting Is The Physical Motor Disconnector The Future Of AWD Electric Cars? correctly, that's basically how it works. Nothing exotic, but a very sensible idea (though 5% is not very much savings)

·
Super Moderator
1,736 Posts
Reactions: KrPtNk
21 - 38 of 38 Posts