Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test drove first one off the truck a couple days ago. It was a crappy day (raining) so it didn't help but overall was impressed with it. Didn't get to take on highway yet. My friend noted it seemed loud but the could have been due to the rain on the road. We tested it again today and he still thinks it's loud but I think that is subjective. He has an Acura ILX top of line and it is quieter than most car.

All the first models I've seen so far are the Blue version which is base model. Waiting for the SEL to arrive. More interested to test the Limited when it arrives to compare tire size to see how that will affect ride and noise level. In the Prius it was noted difference between the two tire sizes.

From reading some of the posts here, I too have a concern about the ICE/air question. Also I'm not sure how I feel about the DCT. I have mixed feelings. I don't mind the CVT in Prius but it is louder. I'm concerned about the DCT as the Tucson had that for 2016 and it was a nightmare of problems (check CarComplaints.com). I hope this is not the case for the Ioniq. It has a "S" mode for manual shift. What I like about the Prius is that it has technically four modes (ECO, Normal, Power and EV (not used much)). It seems the Ioniq has two only. It was hard to notice when the engine vs electric was running. Will be interested to take it on an extended drive. The Prius also has a "B" mode which is good for hills/mountains. Ioniq does not.

The Ioniq does have a great warranty. Battery for life of car as long as you own it. And 5/10 on everything else. Prius has only 8 on battery and 3/5 on rest.

IMO the Prius is more refined as they have been at it longer but the Ioniq still rides nice; just different. I will be taking them both for extended rides on same day to compare so will report anything else I notice.

Does anyone know if Ioniq takes full synthetic oil or not? How about Prius? Also, if something does go bad on these since hybrids, I hear it can be more costly to repair. Has anyone experienced this?

This will be a first hybrid for me so really taking time to compare. I was waiting for Ioniq before I made a decision. That it's a first year worries me also. Not sure I want to take a chance first year.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's loud probably because the lack of sound deadening material to save weight. It's the same with the Prius. Prius takes full synthetic oil. The recommended oil change interval is 10K/12mo. There's no B mode on the Ioniq because it's 6 speed auto. You just have to down shift. Ioniq's gotta have a way to burn off excessive charge once the battery is full.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Sorry, the transmission has nothing to do with a "B" mode, and downshifting does not slow the car appreciably. It is my guess that it was a marketing decision to reduce any perception that the car is a wonky hybrid. There is a way to increase regenerative braking but it is clunky and cannot translate to one pedal driving: put the car into cruise control, use the cruise control to lower speed - that increases regenerative braking until the new setting is met (the same would be true going downhill with cruise control set). The battery system is incapable by engineering design of ever overcharging (in fact it doesn't exceed 80% under most circumstances) so that is not an issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts